Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

2020 Land Rover Defender

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
2020 LR Defender was shown In Frankfurt this week. Starts at $49K, I tried to option one as close as I could to my Telluride SX-P and the price leapt to $70K (and features were still missing). I’m sure that the LR will be superior off road, but the reality is that these vehicles spend most of their lives on pavement. Have fun with the configurator!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Baz

Reaction score
Part of me is actually contemplating canceling my deposit and going for a Defender, and I'm actually surprised it's that cheap. I still think the Telluride is amazing, but for it's market, the Defender I wouldn't say competes with the Telluride, if anything it's stealing Land Cruiser/Lexus LX and G-wagon sales which frankly are cars within the 100k market. Plus you get a hell of a lot of tech at that $49,900 price, air suspension, terrain management with 2 spd transfer case, surround cameras, hill descent (which I can't figure out if the Telluride has because of conflicting information where the brochure I was sent by Kia has it listed and even has it in their press kits, but no mention of it on the website or else where...). I kinda got the Telluride more for my dad than me, since his Buick is on it's last legs and my car is a poorly modified Mustang, had to get something practical. I figure in the next couple years that Buick finally kicks it and he'll take the Kia fully I'll just swap that Mustang for a new Defender. As someone who was originally in the market for the Discovery 5 and thinks that's an amazing car, I cant wait to give the Defender a try, hopefully can rent one when I go back to Iceland.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Part of me is actually contemplating canceling my deposit and going for a Defender, and I'm actually surprised it's that cheap. I still think the Telluride is amazing, but for it's market, the Defender I wouldn't say competes with the Telluride, if anything it's stealing Land Cruiser/Lexus LX and G-wagon sales which frankly are cars within the 100k market. Plus you get a hell of a lot of tech at that $49,900 price, air suspension, terrain management with 2 spd transfer case, surround cameras, hill descent (which I can't figure out if the Telluride has because of conflicting information where the brochure I was sent by Kia has it listed and even has it in their press kits, but no mention of it on the website or else where...). I kinda got the Telluride more for my dad than me, since his Buick is on it's last legs and my car is a poorly modified Mustang, had to get something practical. I figure in the next couple years that Buick finally kicks it and he'll take the Kia fully I'll just swap that Mustang for a new Defender. As someone who was originally in the market for the Discovery 5 and thinks that's an amazing car, I cant wait to give the Defender a try, hopefully can rent one when I go back to Iceland.
Could be a good decision - certainly the Defender is a more capable off-road vehicle. I'm not sure that you'll be able to find one at that MSRP as there are likely several additional options dealers will ask to add at factory, but perhaps? Would be interested to hear your experience if you go this route. Land Rover is making some interesting vehicles right now - I guess they just need to get their reliability rankings up a bit.

Not sure on hill descent control... the January press release said it had "Downhill Brake Control" but I don't see anything about that in the manual. So, I understand the confusion.

Last edited: