No soliciting permitted.

2021 Stuck in park

DylanC

Reaction score
Hello! Recently purchased a 2021 Telluride. On random days at random times when starting the vehicle, it will not shift out of drive. Pressing the break, no emergency break set, steering wheel not located.. but physically can not move the shifter out of park. It eventually will just work after 5-15 min. Took it in last week to dealer but they could not replicate so they sent us on our way. Finally got a video today and have another appointment on Tuesday to leave it all day. Have an 8 month pregnant wife who drives this so it is not reliable in case of emergency. Looking for any recommendations or ideas?

DylanC

Reaction score
Trying to attach video to this thread, looks like it only allows photos to be posted. Forgot to mention, if I remove the “shift lock release” cover and push that button in it will allow me to shift.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Are you fully pressing in the shift lock button on the lever? And stepping hard enough on the brake pedal? Electronic parking brake shouldn’t matter when shifting out of park.

There is an emergency shift lock release if you ever need to use it, but it only supposed to be used for emergencies. For example, if your wife goes into labor.

Attachments

• A76CBE11-00F9-4B8F-B581-7B87E2515578.jpeg
    A76CBE11-00F9-4B8F-B581-7B87E2515578.jpeg
    737.5 KB · Views: 13
  • E6A5375A-BBCA-4CE4-A7D9-D120FCCD2763.jpeg
    E6A5375A-BBCA-4CE4-A7D9-D120FCCD2763.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 13

DylanC

Reaction score
Are you fully pressing in the shift lock button on the lever? And stepping hard enough on the brake pedal? Electronic parking brake shouldn’t matter when shifting out of park.

There is an emergency shift lock release if you ever need to use it, but it only supposed to be used for emergencies. For example, if your wife goes into labor.
Thank you for the reply. Yes 100% am pushing brake as hard as possibly and pressing shift lock button.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
If you have already used the shift lock release once, maybe Kia service needs to reset the locking mechanism again now to function properly. It does say to go to dealer immediately after using in the manual.

DylanC

Reaction score
If you have already used the shift lock release once, maybe Kia service needs to reset the locking mechanism again now to function properly. It does say to go to dealer immediately after using in the manual.
I will mention that to them. Today was the first time I used it to see if it would work because I was stuck in park today. Every other time I would just wait until it finally worked.

RetSab

Reaction score
I had an '09 Hyundai Sonata -similar mechanics/shared company. It had a similar problem many things were replaced -switches, connections, a wiring harness (sent from Korea) after a month they discovered one of the 4 bolts that held down the main fuse box on the fender was snapped in half and when cold caused electrical problems. By that time I had pursued a Lemon Law replacement and got a replacement model. Good luck with the pregnancy and car!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

DylanC

Reaction score
I had an '09 Hyundai Sonata -similar mechanics/shared company. It had a similar problem many things were replaced -switches, connections, a wiring harness (sent from Korea) after a month they discovered one of the 4 bolts that held down the main fuse box on the fender was snapped in half and when cold caused electrical problems. By that time I had pursued a Lemon Law replacement and got a replacement model. Good luck with the pregnancy and car!
Thank you! I am really hoping it’s not a lemon. Our car before this (2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee was a lemon. Engine would just shut off randomly even when driving. Luckily, they put us in a brand new 2019 for no additional cost. Hopefully will find out something this week but they seem as though they will not lift a finger on finding out what it is until they can replicate.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
they seem as though they will not lift a finger on finding out what it is until they can replicate.
Try recording a video next time it happens to show the service manager.