Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

3 weeks in the Telluride, love it!

MiamiJon

Reaction score
Ok, had the Telly for 3 weeks now, put a little over 1.000 miles on it.

As I mentioned in other posts, I walked in a KIA dealer 3 weeks ago to look in getting my wife the new 2020 Sportage.

I am a huge car guy and had around 40 vehicles in the past 10 years, exclusively German, British and American so I am kind of picky when it comes to cars. Never owned an Asian brand before, my wife saw the new Sportage and kept telling me that she really liked the look of it so we went to check it out.

Long story short, after about 3 hours at our local dealership, we drove of the lot with a 2020 Sportage SX Turbo (steel grey with butterscotch interior) for my wife and a 2020 Telluride SX w/towing package/self leveling rear suspension (Ebony Black with butterscotch interior) for me. Besides the Telly and the Sportage, I currently own a 2019 BMW X5 and a 2015 BMW M5.

For the Telly and Sportage I traded in a 2014 BMW 650i coupe + 2011 RAM 1500 sport + 2013 Porsche Boxster.

I love both KIA vehicles, and had 0 issues so far. We have put a little over 1.000 miles on both in the 3 weeks we have owned them. Build quality is VERY good, very quite cabin, not a lot of road noise. I can see a lot of elements (or design similarities if you will) from BMW and Land Rover in the Telly.

What I would of loved to be able to choose on the Telly:

- V8 or V6 TT engine option
- Larger wheels size options (21/22) - looking on upgrading to nice, black 21 or 22's
- Quad Exhaust - talked with a couple of local exhaust shops, and waiting to get it done in a couple of weeks.
- Digital 12" cluster (as available on the sister Palisade)
- Higher end audio options, the H/K is ok, but nothing special
- Rear entertainment option
- Air suspension on all 4's
- Massaged front seats
- Sport 3 spoke steering wheel with shift paddles (my wife's SX Sportage came with that, why not offer it on a higher model?)

What I do not like:

- No 4 way lumbar support
- No passanger lumbar support
- No extended leg support for passenger (never had a vehicle to only have for the driver)
- No bumper trim to hide the towing package
- Homelink buttons are not illuminated
- No keyfob remote start (Yes, the app is a option, but way more time consuming then pressing a button on the key fob)
- No heated steering wheel (not that I need it, but the option is in my wife's Sportage, it's part of the SX trim on the Sportage why not have it on the same trim level of a higher model?)
- No center console infotainment controls (touchscreen is OK, but I prefer the option of a control knob on the center console)

Over all I am extremely pleased of how the Telly looks, rides and available options. If it would of had the above options, it would of been the perfect vehicle for my taste.

Comparing with the BMW X5 that I purchased a couple of months prior in purchasing the Telly, the price difference is about 50k over the Telly, I am sure even if KIA would add more premium features to the Telly, they would still be below major premium brands and very competitive with other brands. The major issue (for me) would be a better performing engine.

Have not done much so far as in modding, I have done the following:

- Front tints
- Complete Rebadging
- Ceramic coating

Upcoming mods:
- 21 or 22 black wheels
- Electric running boards
- under-seat ambient light package
- Quad exhaust (keeping the OEM rear diffuser)

Below are a couple of pics of the Telly & the Sportage, I also threw the BMW in for comparison.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No kidding? Buying a car for you sir is like buying a bag of lettuce for the rest of us. Congrats. Can’t wait to see your new 911 in the fall!!!

TellmahRide

Reaction score
Check out the thread on the menu selections that improve audio if you haven’t already (not to say it couldn’t still be better).

MiamiJon

Reaction score
No kidding? Buying a car for you sir is like buying a bag of lettuce for the rest of us. Congrats. Can’t wait to see your new 911 in the fall!!!
I would not go that far in comparing it to lettuce :))) We have 2 properties (NY and FL) and usually have 2 cars at each location (sometimes 3).

Not a big fan of the 911, had one a couple of years back and traded it for the M5.

One big issue I have always had on German/British cars is the resale value and how long/hard it is to sell them. I almost exclusively buy them pre-owned (max 2 years old with as low miles as possible).

Take the 2014 BMW 650i that I traded in for the Telly. The car was $124.000 new in 2014, I bought it in 2016 (July) for 62k with a little under 18.000 miles on it (what a hit to the initial owner). Car was immaculate, under warranty and give me 0 issues while I owned it for 2 years. I put around 20.000 miles on it in the 2 years I've owned it as my wife was not a big fan of the car. Dealer serviced, garage kept. Had it on the market for 6 months to try and sell privately. All interested offers where asking me "how much down payment" or "what financing options are available", everyone thought I was a dealer and they were looking at financing options (which I could not provide, being a private seller). I always had issues selling higher end cars to private parties, therefore loosing a bit much on each trade-in deal.

Most buyers stay away from higher end German/British cars due to maintenance cost... personally, in all the years, and cars I went through, I have yet to have a major major issue with any.

Everyone trusts American/Asian brands (Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Infiniti, KIA, etc), so I want to see, how easily I will be able to sell the 2 KIA's in a year/two from now compared to my other vehicles and how much I will lose.

Usually (and I am serious), all my cars, 1 or 2 years down the road, look brand new. I am crazy about detailing them and maintaining them super clean (maybe no pets, kids, non smoking and a lot of free time on my hands helps) :)

I am raving about the Telluride to all my friends, one friend actually picked up a Telluride on Friday after seeing the build quality, warranty, features and price of mine.

Oh, and another thing that would be nice, more color combo's, or at least exterior color options.

Again, PROUD owner of a KIA TELLURIDE, love it!

MiamiJon

Reaction score
Check out the thread on the menu selections that improve audio if you haven’t already (not to say it couldn’t still be better).
Yup, I know about the "advanced" part of the audio setting (quantum something or other that you can select or deselect), yes, it makes a difference, but still lacks the power, clarity, deep bass of other systems out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a good system, just would love more audio options on the higher trim levels. This, I am assuming is KIA's policy, as I have seen with other Asian brands, they are differentiated by trim levels and that's it. While on German cars in particular, you can basically add-on a variety of options to fit your needs/style.

Again, love my Telly!

TellmahRide

Reaction score
Yup, I know about the "advanced" part of the audio setting (quantum something or other that you can select or deselect), yes, it makes a difference, but still lacks the power, clarity, deep bass of other systems out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a good system, just would love more audio options on the higher trim levels. This, I am assuming is KIA's policy, as I have seen with other Asian brands, they are differentiated by trim levels and that's it. While on German cars in particular, you can basically add-on a variety of options to fit your needs/style.

Again, love my Telly!
Yes - My 2018 top trim Nissan Leaf sounds better. It comes with a dedicated subwoofer but even the door speakers have better bass power. Still love our Telly like you.

515EX

Reaction score
Ok, had the Telly for 3 weeks now, put a little over 1.000 miles on it.

As I mentioned in other posts, I walked in a KIA dealer 3 weeks ago to look in getting my wife the new 2020 Sportage.

I am a huge car guy and had around 40 vehicles in the past 10 years, exclusively German, British and American so I am kind of picky when it comes to cars. Never owned an Asian brand before, my wife saw the new Sportage and kept telling me that she really liked the look of it so we went to check it out.

Long story short, after about 3 hours at our local dealership, we drove of the lot with a 2020 Sportage SX Turbo (steel grey with butterscotch interior) for my wife and a 2020 Telluride SX w/towing package/self leveling rear suspension (Ebony Black with butterscotch interior) for me. Besides the Telly and the Sportage, I currently own a 2019 BMW X5 and a 2015 BMW M5.

For the Telly and Sportage I traded in a 2014 BMW 650i coupe + 2011 RAM 1500 sport + 2013 Porsche Boxster.

I love both KIA vehicles, and had 0 issues so far. We have put a little over 1.000 miles on both in the 3 weeks we have owned them. Build quality is VERY good, very quite cabin, not a lot of road noise. I can see a lot of elements (or design similarities if you will) from BMW and Land Rover in the Telly.

What I would of loved to be able to choose on the Telly:

- V8 or V6 TT engine option
- Larger wheels size options (21/22) - looking on upgrading to nice, black 21 or 22's
- Quad Exhaust - talked with a couple of local exhaust shops, and waiting to get it done in a couple of weeks.
- Digital 12" cluster (as available on the sister Palisade)
- Higher end audio options, the H/K is ok, but nothing special
- Rear entertainment option
- Air suspension on all 4's
- Massaged front seats
- Sport 3 spoke steering wheel with shift paddles (my wife's SX Sportage came with that, why not offer it on a higher model?)

What I do not like:

- No 4 way lumbar support
- No passanger lumbar support
- No extended leg support for passenger (never had a vehicle to only have for the driver)
- No bumper trim to hide the towing package
- Homelink buttons are not illuminated
- No keyfob remote start (Yes, the app is a option, but way more time consuming then pressing a button on the key fob)
- No heated steering wheel (not that I need it, but the option is in my wife's Sportage, it's part of the SX trim on the Sportage why not have it on the same trim level of a higher model?)
- No center console infotainment controls (touchscreen is OK, but I prefer the option of a control knob on the center console)

Over all I am extremely pleased of how the Telly looks, rides and available options. If it would of had the above options, it would of been the perfect vehicle for my taste.

Comparing with the BMW X5 that I purchased a couple of months prior in purchasing the Telly, the price difference is about 50k over the Telly, I am sure even if KIA would add more premium features to the Telly, they would still be below major premium brands and very competitive with other brands. The major issue (for me) would be a better performing engine.

Have not done much so far as in modding, I have done the following:

- Front tints
- Complete Rebadging
- Ceramic coating

Upcoming mods:
- 21 or 22 black wheels
- Electric running boards
- under-seat ambient light package
- Quad exhaust (keeping the OEM rear diffuser)

Below are a couple of pics of the Telly & the Sportage, I also threw the BMW in for comparison.
Please keep us posted on the dual exhaust if you get it done. That’s very high on my wish list and would love to see it before I pull the trigger. Also, are you sure you don’t have a heated steering wheel? I have an EX and have one. Should be far left button closest to the steering wheel in the middle button cluster under the screen.

MiamiJon

Reaction score
Please keep us posted on the dual exhaust if you get it done. That’s very high on my wish list and would love to see it before I pull the trigger. Also, are you sure you don’t have a heated steering wheel? I have an EX and have one. Should be far left button closest to the steering wheel in the middle button cluster under the screen.
I will keep everyone posted as soon as I take it to the shop. I want the same style exhaust tips, so it "looks" OEM. The shop is searching options of exhaust tips (they came up with the Sonata sport, it has similar exhaust tips and it comes in quad format so they are mirrored left / right, I told the shop no, they are too small height wise, will see what fits and looks as close to the OEM's as possible, AMG has similar tips:))) who knows, will see).

You have a EX and have heated steering wheel?? That is so strange, when I asked the dealer about it, he said only the SX Prestige has the heated steering wheel on the Telly. I attached a pic of a presitge and I know where the button should be, but I have no button there at all....

Attachments

Hatchmo75

Reaction score
The heated steering wheel is an option for the EX and SX trims. It comes when you add the AWD option. I assume if you don’t have it on your SX, you have FWD.

MiamiJon

Reaction score
The heated steering wheel is an option for the EX and SX trims. It comes when you add the AWD option. I assume if you don’t have it on your SX, you have FWD.
Yup, front wheel drive. I wanted the SXP but they did not have any on the lot and said waiting time would be ridiculously long (delivery next year), something I was not willing to do. Not sure if AWD is worth it in FL.

Still, wife's Sportage SX-T is front wheel drive and has the heated steering wheel as standard for that trim level, just seems strange.

tobidog

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Damn you, MiamiJon, your photos are better than Jalopnik or Car and Driver. What camera, please ???????

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

If you're going to turn-over the Telluride in about 2 yrs time as you seem wont to do, would be pretty perfect timing as the upcoming Genesis GV80 will be available by then.

The GV80 will have most of the features that you are looking for, as well as a 3.5TT V6 pushing out 400+ HP, as well as being RWD-based.

Kia is also contemplated doing a luxury CUV based on the same platform to go along w/ the Stinger and K900.

Rondakay

Staff member
Reaction score
Not quite 3 weeks but I love, love, love driving this car.
This is the smoothest transmission ever! It has great power. It is so extremely comfortable. The heads up display rocks. SCC is my new favorite way to drive. And it looks like a rockstar.
Oh and did I mention how slick the auto dimming headlights are.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Crossefire00

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday and I am so thoroughly impressed. Not sure why there were complaints about power. If you are trying to drag race some teenager in a souped up lawn-mower while driving a 3 row SUV, I think the issue isn't the SUV. But let me say, this thing can get up out of its own way very nicely. The sound system, once tweaked, is very decent. The SCC is surprisingly good for something not called Tesla. The comfort, for a big guy, in the driver's seat is unrivaled. I drove a very nice Jeep for 5 years. Not once did anyone stop me to talk about it. After having my Telluride on the road for 3 miles, I was stopped by a guy who probably wouldn't normally engage me in conversation, at a stop light no less. He thought the vehicle looked amazing. I didn't need any validation for this purchase when I made it. But to see others react to it definitely puts a smile on my face!

Crossefire00

Reaction score
Not quite 3 weeks but I love, love, love driving this car.
This is the smoothest transmission ever! It has great power. It is so extremely comfortable. The heads up display rocks. SCC is my new favorite way to drive. And it looks like a rockstar.
The transmission is amazing. Especially coming from a Jeep with a notoriously bad transmission. I found myself trying to compensate the way I did with my Jeep while driving the Telluride. Time to unlearn these habits and enjoy the smoothness of this transmission.