We got our Canadian Gravity Gray SX back in late spring for just under MSRP (got lucky with salesperson) as well as winter package thrown in at no cost. Initial impressions were amazing. I thought to update on 6-month ownership:
What's your long term experience?
EDIT: Forgot a few details:
- Looks of the Telluride still amaze me. I still cannot believe it's Kia and love it more than anything out there. Original bulky shape and a distinctive front grille with Amber lights are my fav.
- No squeaks, no rattles and no unusual noise. I was worried about this one since Kia is approaching luxury offerings but it's still a budget luxury so some fit and finish might be an issue. It's been great so far. Just under 20,000km driven - about half of on highways to the mountains and half in the city with potholes and such.
- We put winter tires (Nokia Hakka) and rims (Fast) and now with tons of snow early November - we couldn't be happier. Tracking and handling is awesome. TPMS was reasonable at $200 CDN for all four from the dealer.
- We are still super happy with the room we have behind the second row. Stroller, snow sled and portable child seat all fit there with no issues. We use the third row around 4 times when the family was visiting and it was pretty good for two adults sitting there.
- Some reviewers complain about lack of power and etc. For a family SUV and at this price range - power is just perfect, IMO. If you want to feel more adventurous - switch to Sport mode and it becomes a bit jerkier and shifts faster but we haven't left Smart mode for about the whole 6 months.
- We got winter floor mats from the dealership at no charge as part of Winter Package but bought WeatherTech cargo area protector. I'm very happy we got it as melting snow now doesn't spill into the third-row seats or cloth liner.
- Canadian SX comes with LED headlights and we find them pretty bright and great for night driving. No complaints about the brightness on many long trips we took.
- No issues with our Telluride, small or big! Didn't have to take it back to dealership to fix anything. Initial quality is pretty amazing after 6 months.
- Dealership group that we bought it from includes free oil change for the life of the ownership so we took it for oil change there (usually I avoid "stealerships" for any service).
- 360 cameras and parking sensors are amazing. My wife was initially scared of parking such a large vehicle but now uses the cameras and parks with no issues even in tighter spots.
- Apple Carplay works great and full screen.
- EDIT: Vehicle warms up really quick. We usually start it with UVO app in cold times with a custom start: All temp on HIGH, steering and seats heating ON. It actually starts blowing warm air into cabin about 5 minutes after the start even if it's -15C outside. I'm amazed.
- Black piano trip around the shifter is the worst idea ever. It's not easy to wipe since it goes all around and gets dust and fingerprints right after wiping. I get that it looks "premium" but please no more piano black.
- We don't like that the rear climate system is usually OFF by default despite what the status was on the shut off of the car. We have a baby and always have to remember to push Rear then Auto to ensure she is getting warm air. Not sure why Kia decided to do it this way vs just leave it as it was at the car shut off.
- Media display is awesome and mostly good but I wish there was more choice of widgets. I have Radio to the left, map in the middle and I struggle to put anything to the right. I don't want a round clock that replicates the time shown on top of the screen, Weather data is not available in my data and Driving Info is useless as I don't care how many minutes I was sitting at idle at red lights. With the recent software update, weather shows the temp outside but it still shows Weather Data is not available on the bottom. I guess they realized not every city has radio HD data for weather but still didn't go far enough to clean up that widget.
- The dealer experience was not great. We got lucky with the salesperson (who no longer works there maybe he was too "nice" of a salesperson) but finance was trying to convince me that I "had" to get life insurance even though I said that my bank preapproved me for a loan as well as she said herself that our credit was spotless. They promised bunch of free things initially but had to follow up for about 5 months since either they say things were not in stock or someone will get back to me (dashcam, sweater, t-shirts, ball cap, and weather mats). We finally got things but it's like they were ready to promise but didn't want to actually do it.
- I wish I could remote start my car from a key fob. In Canada we get UVO for 5 years for free but I can see my car through the window and wish could just push the fob key vs digging through their shitty app which half of the times goes into Menus and then realizes that authentication failed and asks me to login, then PIN code and then wait for a minute to get confirmation. First world problem but it still could be better.
- Got email notification about map and software update. The process was so cumbersome. Makes you "purchase" the upgrade but a code that bring total cost to nil but still have to create yet another account. Once you download "installer software" the actual download starts. I have 300 MB/s internet at home and it still took almost an hour to download stupid 25GB of data. Their servers don't release the data fast enough cause it usually takes about 10-15min to download 25GB. In the car, it took about 40 minutes to finish the update. Half way through the update it said "Update failed", restarted the system and continued the update... Definitely not the smoothest experience but it works and nothing was bricked. After the update it looks like the system is a bit faster, weather widget shows Outside temperature and now there is an option to change colour tone of the display to bring more yellow when it's dark out. Yellowish display looks shitty as it makes it look brown so I disabled it.
- Keyfob remote start ability
- Rear climate system to start same as it was at the car shut off
- Greater widget choice and maybe widget for Spotify so I can use it from Kia interface without going into Apple Carplay.
- Dealer network that realizes you can't treat Kia customers with lies and deception.
- EDIT: Heated windshield wipers area. In our winters it's a must but not available even on highest trims. There is aftermarket strip to install but I wish it was factory.
What's your long term experience?
EDIT: Forgot a few details:
- Installed clear bra on the front since our province has tons of rocks and rock chips are inevitable.