Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

A few questions for long term Kia owners

Ouray

Reaction score
Background
I don’t own or know anyone who owns a Kia so I’m hoping you can help me out. When I get a car, I try to keep it a long time (10+ years). For context, I live in a snowy area that uses lots of road salt in winter, which is tough on cars and makes a good AWD system essential. My current car is a Subaru, which has been great. I’m considering the Telluride and also the Ascent. I’m wondering about how Kias hold up over the long term. I rented one a long time ago and was turned off by it (not sure which model it was) and never thought I would consider a Kia or Hyundai. I am admittedly still skeptical of the brand, but they seem to have come a long way since the rental car. So here I am considering one.

Based on your long-term experience with Kia, what are your thoughts and experiences? I really appreciate any insights you may be able to offer about your long term experience as a Kia owner.

High level summary:
When you move on to a new car from your long-term Kia, will you think/did you think:
- “That was a great car!” … “I will definitely buy another if they have one that fits my needs, or at least consider it” … “I would recommend one to family or close friends” … OR
- "Good riddance"

Details:
If you have the time and are inclined to provide detail on a more granular level, I would greatly appreciate any comments or experiences related to the following three areas:

1. Reliability:
- Starts every day
- Few to no need for repairs/unscheduled maintenance

2. Durability:
This goes hand-in-hand with Reliability. Car generally works but needs to be fixed/ has issues with items frequently considered to be “wear items”. These issues are expensive to repair. I have had issues on all my past cars for the following items until my Subaru, which after 10+ years is still on original parts for the following items (knock on wood). Based on the Subaru, it seems that if these systems/components are well-engineered and sourced to begin with, maybe they aren't really “wear items.”
- Heating system
- Air conditioning
- Suspension/shock absorbers/struts
- Exhaust system components

3. Integrity:
If you have had a Kia for a long time (e.g., 10+ years, 150+k miles) how has it held up?
- Does it still ride well? still solid?
- Any body integrity issues that you have needed to fix (door handles falling off, windshield wiper motor/transmission broken, leaking fuel line, interior/exterior trim or parts breaking or falling off, etc.)?
- Rust, on a scale from (0) None-to- (10) Car looks awful (BTW, Have you ever noticed that many older Hondas get very rusty, particularly on the right rear quarter panel and over the wheel wells)
- Other annoyances?

RebelShadow

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've owned a 2007 sorento which currently has 335,000 miles on it and still runs like the day i bought it. No rust at all and has been in shop once for universal joint on drive shaft other than normal maintenance. I got tired of driving it at 300,000 and gave it to my dad who is still driving it.

2014 Sorento limited with 300,000 which was in the shop for cloged AC line @ 197K and Catalytic converter @ 200K. At 300K one cylinder started to loose compression slightly and CV joints probably needed replacement soon. Both could have been fixed but Telluride was out and chose to spent the money on that instead of repairs so sorri went to Auctuon. It still looks in showroom condition.

Now I have Telluride for about 1.5 months now and it already has 13,000 miles on it with no issues so far.

MichaelGScott

Reaction score
From an overall brand perspective, absolutely impressed and constantly recommend to people. The features for the $ is outstanding. The Telluride is my 2nd Kia and now the wife is looking at the Stinger after 2 Camaros.

First Kia was a 2011 Soul with 176000 miles. Traded it in for the Telluride and it drove just like day one. The only real repair was a water pump and that was under warranty. No rust issues, but no snow or salt. The only other issues was a blown integrated subwoofer that I decided to not repair when I was beginning to look for a new car.

Really can’t say a bad word about my Kia ownership over the last 8 years.

Eeyah15

Reaction score
I drove a 2016 Sportage for 4 years. Until I traded up for my Telluride last week. I loved that car and would have kept it forever if I didnt actually need a bigger vehicle. It only went into the shop once for a shorted ac actuator, under warranty.

I have actually worked as a Warranty Admin for a Kia dealership going on 6 years now. I was always a Chevy fan. But after a few years witnessing the warranty and service dept repairs I decided to get my first Kia. Now my entire family drives Kia's. And I'll probably never drive anything else. In my opinion you can't beat the warranty coverage.

Also I see Kia Consumer Affairs bend over backwards to help customers all the time.

Honestly if you like the Telluride I say go for it. You'll have a badass warranty, and as long as you take care of it (maintenance wise) it will last you forever.

Two words of advice. Go test drive a Telluride and see what all the hype is. And also compare the Kia factory warranty versus anything else you are interested in. Can't beat the 5/60 basic coverage, and the 10/100 powertrain.

Attachments

BanditLover

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We have been a Kia owner for more than 10 plus years (Sorento) with complete reliability from a mechanical standpoint. We had to have some rear body work after a car backed into us in a parking lot. The repair cost was under $400 and the auto repair shop said that he loved Kia as most other brands would have cost twice as much to repair the same damage.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.