Abrupt shifts? New 2021 SX AWD

DarkMossJustin

Reaction score
Any one else experience a few rough shifts from the transmission when first driving your new Telluride? Almost like a sudden jolt? I’m talking about within the first 100 miles or so? I’m trying to determine if this is normal as the drivetrain is just being broken in, or a sign of something worse.

We just picked up our new 2021 SX AWD last week, and have only driven it around town to run errands so far and a little bit on the highway. I have 75 miles on the odometer and for the most part it drives completely fine. Very smooth.

However, on three separate occasions we’ve noticed the transmission abruptly shift into the next gear. On one of the three it was actually a downshift I believe... as my wife was just coming to a stop at a red light.

I know this manual says this:
View attachment 16895
But this makes it a sound like that’s only in a battery disconnect situation. Not to mention, when it happened to us, it was well after the first few shifts. Car was already completely warmed up by then (10+ minutes into our drive).

Thoughts?

Keep driving the Telly.

Vary the drive modes. I only kept Telly in default (Comfort Mode) for the short break-in period, then got into Sport Mode somewhere along the way.

Got a video to show us what's happening?

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Agree. This has nothing to do with AWD LOCK. I've never used that feature. It's hesitation with shifting during acceleration (so much so that I'm afraid to merge on the highway in front of someone) and abrupt downshifting (with some noticeable jerking) when the car is slowing down. It's even more pronounced when in Sport mode.
Sounds like it could be an issue with the ECU or TCM not knowing the right time to shift and rev match properly.

WRA1963

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be an issue with the ECU or TCM not knowing the right time to shift and rev match properly.
That's exactly what I told the mechanic at Kia, but because this is still considered a new model (2020s & 2021s) he has to follow Tech Line (Headquarters); because they're documenting everything and trying the lease expensive solutions first, for future use if/when the problem shows up again. I'm sure there are other reasons that have to do with safety and the need to (or not) put out a recall/bulletin.

Ansel Toney

Reaction score
Just wondering - are you dealing with a conventional torque converter type transmission or is it a dual clutch transmission? If it is the latter, is it the dry type or the wet type? I'm strongly considering a Telluride once they become more available but am ignorant about the type of transmission it has. In my opinion, the wet dual clutch type would be preferable providing it can handle the 3.8L v-6 engine. From what I understand, an 8-speed wet dual-clutch handles the Hyundai Santa Fe 2.5L 4 cylinder Turbo quite nicely.

Last edited:

ciarra3

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah I’m aware of the noticeable engine braking but this was different.

Today I was at a traffic light waiting to turn left. When the light turned green and I got the arrow I started slowly accelerating as I made the turn. It shifted through 1st gear just fine, and as it went to change up to 2nd gear the engine revved up suddenly and then slammed into 2nd once it finally found it.

But it’s totally random. Didn’t do it the rest of the my drive. And I made several stops as I ran errands around town. Drove great! So I’m just confused.

I found out my plates arrived at the dealer though so maybe when I pick them up tomorrow I will mention it to the service manger. And just see what they say.

I was hoping a bunch of other AWD owners would hop on here and say they experienced the same for the first few hundred miles while the transmission learned their shift patterns, etc. but no one else has yet.
I am experiencing this now with my 2022 awd telluride. Were you ever able to get this resolved? Mine seems to be happening when i first drive the car after its been sitting several hours under 40 mph. only 350 miles on mine.

kt2go

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my brand new 2022 SX/FWD (80 miles). It only occurs when accelerating from first to second+ gear. It's' slips' for a second, or almost like a sudden jolt as mentioned here.

The Kia dealership has requested I drop off my vehicle tomorrow to troubleshoot. Anyone here have anything to share about what would be the issue? I am worried if it's transmission.

Sofloprincess

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with my 2021 Telluride SX Prestige. Doing about 20 mph on a merge lane, then gradually press the accelerator pedal to speed up and merge in the traffic and nothing happens, so I continue to press the accelerator pedal more, then all of a sudden the RPMs jump up and the vehicles surges forward. Additionally, I think I've felt that downshifting too. My vehicle is in the shop now and they claim that they can't duplicate the problem.
I’m having that exact problem & I also have a 2021 SX/P/NF. The dealership says they need to test drive it and I’m sure they’ll come back with… “It’s driving fine”!!!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

kt2go

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my brand new 2022 SX/FWD (80 miles). It only occurs when accelerating from first to second+ gear. It's' slips' for a second, or almost like a sudden jolt as mentioned here.

The Kia dealership has requested I drop off my vehicle tomorrow to troubleshoot. Anyone here have anything to share about what would be the issue? I am worried if it's transmission.
Hmm.. after reading posts here, When I change the drive mode to Smart, the problem is gone. I will keep testing this weekend and report back.

bayougirl77

Reaction score
Had this exact problem with my 2022 SX over the weekend. Under 100 miles on it at the time and my husband freaked out so badly that he made me turn around and go home and said not to drive it until I took it to the dealership. Rolled up on Monday, and of course, it did not repeat for the Service Manager (it did do it a couple of times on the way there). He said this: 1) Sit with the car running for 30 seconds before you take off. I call this thoughtful driving where I really think about where I am going so I'm not on autopilot; and 2) it would probably stop after 200 miles, but if it doesn't bring it back. Today I'm at 185. I'm taking it out of town tomorrow and I will report back since I clearly will be over 200 miles by tomorrow. Service manager's explanation is that the car needed to learn how you drive it and that it will stop doing that once it goes through the programming of how you drive. That seems a little iffy to me, but again, I'll give it until I get over 200 miles. It did it today when I first drove it, after sitting and letting it warm up first, and this time it rev'd the engine really strangely in addition to the odd shift lurching. But, it didn't do it after I left the event I was at for lunch today, and I stopped and started a few times.