No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Add-on pricing

srmiller

Reaction score
Purchased SX 2020 today, copper black, great looking car. Trusted sales guy as he represented the purchase price at $46,035. Get home to find 2 documents in the back seat of the car, we didn't see during the sales cycle. One is the description of the car, with a purchase price of $44,140! Then find the second (smaller doc) produced by the dealership adding $1,895 for the following: custom pin stripe, door edge guards and nitrogen filled tires...all for the low, low price of $1,895. Yes we received these items, probably worth maybe $520 total. Sent email to dealer asking for explanation. Buyer beware! I wasn't!

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Purchased SX 2020 today, copper black, great looking car. Trusted sales guy as he represented the purchase price at $46,035. Get home to find 2 documents in the back seat of the car, we didn't see during the sales cycle. One is the description of the car, with a purchase price of $44,140! Then find the second (smaller doc) produced by the dealership adding $1,895 for the following: custom pin stripe, door edge guards and nitrogen filled tires...all for the low, low price of $1,895. Yes we received these items, probably worth maybe $520 total. Sent email to dealer asking for explanation. Buyer beware! I wasn't!
Yikes! Didn't you get to see window sticker?!

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Caveat emptor... MSRP is on Kia's site. Oh well, at least you have it now and are happy!

srmiller

Reaction score
JW - happy with the SX, not happy with the dealership. I obviously have no legal path, but their name goes public tomorrow on this site, and on local TV without addressing the issue. I guess I'm just a little too trustworthy, when the dealership tells me the price of their car I believe them.

srmiller

Reaction score
Tellmeride - could you please point me to the thread were the dealership name can be posted, which I will do if they don't address the issue? Thanks

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
JW - happy with the SX, not happy with the dealership. I obviously have no legal path, but their name goes public tomorrow on this site, and on local TV without addressing the issue. I guess I'm just a little too trustworthy, when the dealership tells me the price of their car I believe them.
I still don’t understand. What happened to the window sticker? I’ve never seen a new car (or used car) being sold at a dealership without it being on the window. That’s typically the starting price for your negotiations.

The “documents” you found in the back seat sounds like the window sticker and the itemized dealer add-on sticker. They should have placed that on the window. Yup, you were too trusting!

Mpgxsvcd

Reaction score
I still don’t understand. What happened to the window sticker? I’ve never seen a new car (or used car) being sold at a dealership without it being on the window. That’s typically the starting price for your negotiations.

The “documents” you found in the back seat sounds like the window sticker and the itemized dealer add-on sticker. They should have placed that on the window. Yup, you were too trusting!
The Monroney sticker(AKA Window Sticker) is required by law to be properly displayed for every new vehicle being sold. If it isn’t then it is possible that you do have recourse in undoing the deal you made.

It would be illegal for them to sell you a car without properly disclosing its true MSRP.

Legally they are allowed to put whatever stickers they want, with whatever markup they want, around the Monroney Sticker. However, they can’t alter the Monroney Sticker in any way including not properly displaying it while the vehicle is for sale.

Last edited:

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
The Monroney sticker(AKA Window Sticker) is required by law to be properly displayed for every new vehicle being sold. If it isn’t then it is possible that you do have recourse in undoing the deal you made.

It would be illegal for them to sell you a car without properly disclosing its true MRSP.
Legally they are allowed to put whatever stickers they want, with whatever markup they want, around the Monroney Sticker. However, they can’t alter the Monroney Sticker in any way including not properly displaying it while the vehicle is for sale.
#truth

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@srmiller

srmiller

Reaction score

srmiller

Reaction score
jazzyone, you are correct, the "documents" were the window sticker and dealer add-ons. It's all on me, but I'm asking them to adjust the price, they won't, but will try anyway.

Schlegel

Reaction score
WOW! These stories get worse by the day! I'd be calling your state Attorney General, NOW! Has to be some type of law that requires the Window Sticker to be displayed! Buyer beware. I wouldn't by any new vehicle without seeing the Window Sticker!

boatman

Reaction score
Srmiller,
I hate hearing of your situation on your new Telluride purchase. The resources and information available online and in this forum are exactly what each buyer needs to know before starting the buying process. Not sure why you are hesitant to share the dealership name with the forum community.?..?

srmiller

Reaction score
boatman, I didn't know about this forum before my purchase, but I was aware of no discounts, and in some cases an upcharge. It's all on me, as I trusteed the sales people. I am asking the dealership to correct the situation, if they don't I will be happy to share the names. I will also go to the local TV consumer reporters.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
boatman, I didn't know about this forum before my purchase, but I was aware of no discounts, and in some cases an upcharge. It's all on me, as I trusteed the sales people. I am asking the dealership to correct the situation, if they don't I will be happy to share the names. I will also go to the local TV consumer reporters.
Good luck! But you agreed to the price of the vehicle. Vehicles have always been sold this way in the US through dealerships (aside from Tesla) - and the buyer is expected to negotiate. Seller puts a price out there, buyer counter offers, and the two parties reach a mutually beneficial agreement. Buyer always has the power to walk. In this case, you were willing to pay $46k for the car, so they just extracted consumer surplus. Negotiating after the sale is pretty poor form just because of buyer's remorse... informed consumers usually make the best decisions. In any case, no reason for you to trash the dealership... it's not their fault!! They didn't misrepresent anything... their price for vehicle is what they told you. They just got lucky because you weren't informed, you said yes and didn't ask questions.

I once got shafted on a BMW lease because I didn't do enough homework or negotiate hard enough. I'm not mad at the dealer though... the only person to blame is myself. And that mistake cost me a lot more than $2k!

srmiller

Reaction score
Thanks Jason. I don't know for sure if the window sticker was displayed (tinted windows), but I do know I thought the MSRP was $46,035(as they gave me a document "vehicle purchase price" = 46,035), while it was really $44,140 with the add-on $1,895 (door edge guard, nitrogen in tires, pine stripe) for total of $46K. Sales guy was off today, so will be back at them tomorrow.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Thanks Jason. I don't know for sure if the window sticker was displayed (tinted windows), but I do know I thought the MSRP was $46,035(as they gave me a document "vehicle purchase price" = 46,035), while it was really $44,140 with the add-on $1,895 (door edge guard, nitrogen in tires, pine stripe) for total of $46K. Sales guy was off today, so will be back at them tomorrow.
Did they put original window sticker in glove box?