Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Aftermarket Air Filter

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just curious, is there a reason you are looking for an aftermarket air filter? Is the oem one not good?
I always buy a K&N washable and reusable one as soon as it becomes available. I rinse and spray with every oil change. Got me to 195k and 165k miles before replacing each of my last two vehicles.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
I put one on my 2006 Tacoma and it sounded beast. Added a little hp and throttle response too. I could take on Mini Cooper S' with it from 0-60. Fast forward to about 1:50
Sounds pretty decent on the inside although a CAI really won’t do you much good for adding any discernible power. I have a hard time believing it was doing 0-60 runs under 7 seconds which is what the mini S is rated at...

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Gunner6903

Reaction score
You're right. Typically a cold air intake alone adds less than 10-15hp and/or torque. With a tune, I've seen more like 20-40hp gains in my '08 Mustang and '10 WRX. I don't think my Tacoma kept up with the Mini Cooper S strictly because of the C/A intake. I was pretty impressed the truck could keep up too, but I assure you it happened. Could have been a manual gearbox with a bad driver, but it was fun and funny, nonetheless. Although he knew 100% we were about to hit it when the light turned green, I'm sure the acceleration of the truck caught him off-guard. I'm also sure if we went past 50-60 he would pretty easily have pulled away. Good times. Mine was an SR5 2-wheel drive - From Motortrend: 2016 Toyota Tacoma V-6 First Test Review - MotorTrend

"The lighter Tacoma SR5 proved to be the quicker of the two at the test track. It ran from 0 to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds and completed the quarter mile in 15.2 seconds at 91.6 mph."

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just got the reply below back from K&N. Despite the OEM air filter matching the Sedona, Sorento and Santa Fe.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting K&N Engineering. We cannot confirm when we will be making an air filter for your 2020 Kia Telluride. Please try checking at a later time.

Regards,

K&N Customer Service & Tech Support

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right. Typically a cold air intake alone adds less than 10-15hp and/or torque. With a tune, I've seen more like 20-40hp gains in my '08 Mustang and '10 WRX. I don't think my Tacoma kept up with the Mini Cooper S strictly because of the C/A intake. I was pretty impressed the truck could keep up too, but I assure you it happened. Could have been a manual gearbox with a bad driver, but it was fun and funny, nonetheless. Although he knew 100% we were about to hit it when the light turned green, I'm sure the acceleration of the truck caught him off-guard. I'm also sure if we went past 50-60 he would pretty easily have pulled away. Good times. Mine was an SR5 2-wheel drive - From Motortrend: 2016 Toyota Tacoma V-6 First Test Review - MotorTrend

"The lighter Tacoma SR5 proved to be the quicker of the two at the test track. It ran from 0 to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds and completed the quarter mile in 15.2 seconds at 91.6 mph."
There’s a lot of research done on these and the consensus seems to be that the stock air box will provide laminar air flow which has been optimized for performance and fuel economy from the factory. CAIs can actually calibration issues with the motor decreasing performance. This article even claims aftermarket filters can disrupt the air flow and foul MAF sensor.

Gunner6903

Reaction score
There’s a lot of research done on these and the consensus seems to be that the stock air box will provide laminar air flow which has been optimized for performance and fuel economy from the factory. CAIs can actually calibration issues with the motor decreasing performance. This article even claims aftermarket filters can disrupt the air flow and foul MAF sensor.

They definitely can cause issues. Some cars do require a new tune, especially ones that will actually see noticeable gains. I can say that from experience in both of my cars previously listed, the combination of C/A Intake coupled with a tune designed for that specific upgrade, made a very noticeable difference in performance. Especially for around $750. Here's the setup I had with their tune on my '10 WRX. It made the car way more fun to drive and sounded WAY cooler.

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I put a K&N in my 2012 Tacoma and it instantly turned into a 4.5 second 0-60 vehicle. Way too fast for me so I went back to the stock filter. Just kidding. Loving my wife's Moss SX!!

Chchoe78

Reaction score

Is the Telly ECU tunable?

Gunner6903

Reaction score
Is the Telly ECU tunable?
Not sure. It's so new, I doubt anyone would have anything for it yet, if ever. I'm not sure how much of a market there will be for C/A intakes and tunes on the Tellurides. I don't think it will have quite the performance/after-market upgrade following as say, a WRX, Mustang or Honda Civic. I could see a C/A intake possibly, but a tune would be less likely. Would be cool if someone does, though! :)