Android Auto Split Screen

jumpyg

Reaction score
Something happened and now I'm getting "split screen" Android Auto, with Waze on the left and my podcast app on the right 1/3. Previously the right 1/3 would show the Sirius music screen. I really want to get back to that view, but cannot figure it out. Android Auto Split Screen is unchecked in the settings. Must be something on my Pixel 5 that updated and broke the way I like to view my screen. Any help really appreciated! Thanks!

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
Something happened and now I'm getting "split screen" Android Auto, with Waze on the left and my podcast app on the right 1/3. Previously the right 1/3 would show the Sirius music screen. I really want to get back to that view, but cannot figure it out. Android Auto Split Screen is unchecked in the settings. Must be something on my Pixel 5 that updated and broke the way I like to view my screen. Any help really appreciated! Thanks!
Since you have split screen unchecked in the Kia settings, AA will take up the entire screen as you’ve described (everything displayed is from Android Auto).

If you would like the right 1/3 to be Kia UI (which would allow you to see radio info), then you’ll have to go in and check that box to enable split screen.

jumpyg

Reaction score
Since you have split screen unchecked in the Kia settings, AA will take up the entire screen as you’ve described (everything displayed is from Android Auto).

If you would like the right 1/3 to be Kia UI (which would allow you to see radio info), then you’ll have to go in and check that box to enable split screen.
Oh THANKS! That worked. Not sure how that setting got changed. It seemed to happen right after my wife drove the Telly and used her profile. Weird, but at least I know how to fix it.

Now, any chance you also know how to turn off calendar notifications from my phone popping up on the Telly's screen? I enabled that when I set it up, but not I don't like it and can't figure out how to undo it. :unsure:

vinylhaircut

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by this - probably just my own misunderstandings. When I have split screen enabled, indeed AA takes the left 2/3 of the screen. On the right 1/3, indeed I can get the Kia UI, but Sirius XM is not one of the available choices when I swipe through them. I can see weather, calendar, etc, but not Sirius XM. Is there more configuration that I need to do? I would love to have Google Maps or Waze on the left 2/3 via AA, and the car's Sirius XM on the right 1/3. Are others doing that? I have been under the presumption that the only way to get Sirius XM while using AA is to use the Sirius XM *app* as a music choice from within AA. If that's wrong, I'd love to get it working. Thanks!

jumpyg

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by this - probably just my own misunderstandings. When I have split screen enabled, indeed AA takes the left 2/3 of the screen. On the right 1/3, indeed I can get the Kia UI, but Sirius XM is not one of the available choices when I swipe through them. I can see weather, calendar, etc, but not Sirius XM. Is there more configuration that I need to do? I would love to have Google Maps or Waze on the left 2/3 via AA, and the car's Sirius XM on the right 1/3. Are others doing that? I have been under the presumption that the only way to get Sirius XM while using AA is to use the Sirius XM *app* as a music choice from within AA. If that's wrong, I'd love to get it working. Thanks!
Yes, that's exactly how I have mine set up. Waze left 2/3 of the screen and Sirius (vehicle display, not the app) on the right 1/3. There's a menu setting where you can select/deselect which widgets go in the right 1/3 portion. Radio (Sirius) cannot be the first widget that displays, though. This is highly annoying, but you just have to "flick" through the tiles to get to radio/sirius.

Also, you can turn off some of the widgets in the Settings > Screen Layout > Split Screen page. However, some, like the Kia navigation widget cannot be turned off.

I'm really hoping that the next update allows you to turn off/on any of the widgets and that the priority you set on the split screen setting page is respected. Even with radio/sirius at the top, it's never the first thing displayed.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
It won’t show radio if you’re not playing radio. You have be playing radio for that information to be available in the Kia UI on the right.

If you haven’t already, I would heavily recommend programming your star button to be “phone projection” (that’s Android Auto) if you want to easily use AA and radio. Pushing the star button when programmed this way gets you back to AA without stealing the audio focus from radio if that’s playing.

vinylhaircut

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly how I have mine set up. Waze left 2/3 of the screen and Sirius (vehicle display, not the app) on the right 1/3. There's a menu setting where you can select/deselect which widgets go in the right 1/3 portion. Radio (Sirius) cannot be the first widget that displays, though. This is highly annoying, but you just have to "flick" through the tiles to get to radio/sirius.

Also, you can turn off some of the widgets in the Settings > Screen Layout > Split Screen page. However, some, like the Kia navigation widget cannot be turned off.

I'm really hoping that the next update allows you to turn off/on any of the widgets and that the priority you set on the split screen setting page is respected. Even with radio/sirius at the top, it's never the first thing displayed.
@jumpyg Thanks for the help! I deleted ALL of the widgets except for the Kia Nav and Radio/Sirius, then move Radio/Sirius to the top. When I have AA connected, it does seem to go directly to the radio display on the right without me having to swipe.

vinylhaircut

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
It won’t show radio if you’re not playing radio. You have be playing radio for that information to be available in the Kia UI on the right.

If you haven’t already, I would heavily recommend programming your star button to be “phone projection” (that’s Android Auto) if you want to easily use AA and radio. Pushing the star button when programmed this way gets you back to AA without stealing the audio focus from radio if that’s playing.
Thanks for the great tip. I also stumbled onto your youtube video about AA from earlier this year - again thanks!

jumpyg

Reaction score
Great point! This drastically improves the experience.

jumpyg

Reaction score
@jumpyg Thanks for the help! I deleted ALL of the widgets except for the Kia Nav and Radio/Sirius, then move Radio/Sirius to the top. When I have AA connected, it does seem to go directly to the radio display on the right without me having to swipe.
Interesting, I have just Nav and Radio/Sirius enabled, but it always goes to Nav first. I'm using the Motorola wireless AA device, but that shouldn't matter. What order do you have all the widgets (enabled and disabled) in? Maybe there's some magic order or something.....