No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Android Auto

skibase

Reaction score
We just received our 2020 Telluride SX/P which we waited for, for several months. Love just about everything about it except that Android Auto does not display in a full wide screen which it is capable of doing. I reached out to Kia Customer Service via the website and a person by the name of Octivia got back to me today and said that unfortunately it is not capable of displaying Android Auto in wide screen as it was not setup this way and perhaps it would be changed for the 2021 model!! I said, so it's basically a software issue so why could it not be updated in the near future on the 2020 model, she basically said because it can't. I said it can't or Kia won't? She did not have a clear answer. I would ask that every Telluride owner reach out to Kia Customer Support and express your concerns with this. Not sure if this is also the case with Apple Carplay, if so, that is also a concern. One of the nice features of the Kia Telluride SX is the widescreen, however if you can't get one of the main features in widescreen it is a disclosure that the dealers are not informing people before they purchase or order a Telluride.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not a deal breaker for me, it works fine the way it is and is big enough to see. I'm not going to complain about it myself, but many others on here have mentioned it too and have already or will contact Kia about it. Good luck in your quest.

skibase

Reaction score
Agree not a deal breaker, however, it's like buying an HDTV and only receiving standard definition.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We just received our 2020 Telluride SX/P which we waited for, for several months. Love just about everything about it except that Android Auto does not display in a full wide screen which it is capable of doing. I reached out to Kia Customer Service via the website and a person by the name of Octivia got back to me today and said that unfortunately it is not capable of displaying Android Auto in wide screen as it was not setup this way and perhaps it would be changed for the 2021 model!! I said, so it's basically a software issue so why could it not be updated in the near future on the 2020 model, she basically said because it can't. I said it can't or Kia won't? She did not have a clear answer. I would ask that every Telluride owner reach out to Kia Customer Support and express your concerns with this. Not sure if this is also the case with Apple Carplay, if so, that is also a concern. One of the nice features of the Kia Telluride SX is the widescreen, however if you can't get one of the main features in widescreen it is a disclosure that the dealers are not informing people before they purchase or order a Telluride.
Vaya con Dios. Good luck in your quest... not a deal breaker for me. If that was important, it could have been tested before signing away. We have discussed this issue here on the forum since April.

skibase

Reaction score
True, but not if going in, you knew the TV was only standard def when you bought it.
With regards to you TV analogy, I agree , however,, the keyword there is "knew". The vehicle claims it has Android Auto and the display is wide screen, so just like if you purchased a widescreen HDTV one would believe that the picture would display in widescreen when watching NetFlix, which is offered in widescreen. So equally one would believe that the Android Auto, offed in widescreen would be in widescreen on the Telluride widescreen display.

I also don't believe this is something that the average person buying a car would check prior to purchasing, especially in the case of the Telluride where there a few if any SX vehicles on the most dealers lots and most people are ordering them. I also agreed it was not a deal breaker and I am very happy with my decision to purchase the Telluride. With that said, I will continue to encourage KIA to update the software to accommodate widescreen for Android Auto. We also own a Nissan and they are constantly making improvements to their Nissan Connect System and I would expect nothing less from KIA.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm not your average buyer.. I know pretty much everything about a product before I buy it. I check forums, reviews, even manuals if I can find them online. I don't like surprises and definitely don't trust salespeople (no offense sales guys on here)... i like to be armed.

skibase

Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm not your average buyer.. I know pretty much everything about a product before I buy it. I check forums, reviews, even manuals if I can find them online. I don't like surprises and definitely don't trust salespeople (no offense sales guys on here)... i like to be armed.
Truly, I do the same, so my bad for missing this one. Had I known I still would have purchased the Telluride, however, I still would have expected that the infotainment system software was not static and could and would be updated from time-to-time to fix issues and make improvements as other vehicle manufactures do. The answer I received from KIA today that the software could not be updated was not what I would have expected. I still have faith that they will eventually take care of this issue and the person I spoke to may have just been misinformed.

Hope you are enjoying your Telluride!

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm thinking the person from Kia does not know for sure. The 2016 Sorento I had did not have ACP/AA from the factory. The next year they came out with it and updated all the 16's so we had it. They still updated the 2016 in 2019 to include text over bluetooth, so I would take what she said with a grain of salt.

State

Reaction score
The Android Auto phone app updated to version 5 in the past week or so. Did that improve the widescreen display? It also broke the ability to answer or decline calls on some steering wheels, but not sure if the Telluride was affected.

Fischer07

Reaction score
I also find this mildly frustrating. Especially when my sister jumped in with her iPhone and Apple Car Play used used the entire screen and looked beautiful.

So the screen CAN be fully used. For some reason, Android Auto doesn't.

I even put Android Auto in developer mode and manually changed the resolution to 1080 but it didn't work. But I haven't tried the other resolutions yet.

I honestly don't use AA anymore because why bother plugging in my phone? I connect to Bluetooth for my audio and calls and the native Kia navigation is pretty good. I love how it displays upcoming signs and images of complicated on and off ramp lanes on large highways like around Toronto.

State

Reaction score
I'd like the option of it just using one of the three tiles, so others are available

chammack

Reaction score
I'd like the option of it just using one of the three tiles, so others are available
This is possible now with Android Auto audio, but not navigation as far as I can tell. I can use YouTube music + native Kia navigation + weather tile.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!