No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Auto Engine Stop / Start?

PLJones

Reaction score
My stop/start feature doesn’t seem to work. The dash light ( A with an arrow around it ) always activates but it’s orange/amber coloured. Today was actually the first time it was green and the engine really did turn off. It only did it twice, then back to Amber coloured again- weird. We’ve been to the dealership and they tested but were unsure. Said it probably was on account of the outdoor temperature ( 4 degrees ) ?!? But they also admitted that they really couldn’t determine why it isn’t working properly and asked us to check back with them in a couple of months when they’ve learned more about the Telluride and it’s systems?!? Anyone else?!

blitt

Reaction score
My stop/start feature doesn’t seem to work. The dash light ( A with an arrow around it ) always activates but it’s orange/amber coloured. Today was actually the first time it was green and the engine really did turn off. It only did it twice, then back to Amber coloured again- weird. We’ve been to the dealership and they tested but were unsure. Said it probably was on account of the outdoor temperature ( 4 degrees ) ?!? But they also admitted that they really couldn’t determine why it isn’t working properly and asked us to check back with them in a couple of months when they’ve learned more about the Telluride and it’s systems?!? Anyone else?!
One thing I have noticed....the system only activates if I put enough pressure on the brake pedal....many times I can bring the vehicle to a stop and the engine keeps running because I do NOT have full pressure on the pedal. Temperature will also affect the operation........

Thebiga17

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue too. It's getting colder but not as cold as it is by you. I have been just getting the amber A and applying a good amount of pressure. I used to apply just enough you stop the car without initiating it. Now I just want to see it work and it won't.

Smolenski7

Reaction score
Yes, many of you are noticing that there are many different factors that influence when the stop/start feature activates. Among them are outdoor temp., temperatur of the engine, and brake pressure. Many of these are connected to the battery and ensuring that other systems in your car still operate and that your battery can do it's job. I'm no expert, but that's what I've read.

Personally, I gave the Idle Stop/Start 6 months and 10k miles, I just could not get used to it's inconsistency and the thought that it could be causing more long term harm (this is just my feeling, supposedly the engine is optimized to handle the addtional wear and tear), and that I wasn't saving enough gas to justify continuing its use. It also didn't hurt that the brakes made a loud groan several times a few weeks back after the car restarted on a slight incline. I think it has something to do with the Hill Assist AND the Idle Stop/Start, but the manager at my dealer, who took a drive with me and couldn't replicate the noise, says the two systems are unrelated and says that the cause of the noise could have just been something else since, not the Stop/Start.

G

G-613566

You can disable it, but have to disable it each time you turn the car on. The Stinger forum some people have disabled it permanently by wedging a business card tinto th switch to hold it down. I have just made it part of my start up routine. Start button, ISG off, Auto hold on.
The 2020 model has auto stop on and off

August L.

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue, but why is it ORANGE? If the auto-stop requirements aren’t met (i.e. Defroster on, outside temp, engine temp, etc.) the indicator light just doesn’t turn on at all. But when it constantly turns orange that seems to be an issue. Once in a while it will be green and the car shuts off, but most times the light either doesn’t come on at all (even with the brake pedal all the way down) or it comes on but is orange and the engine stays on...

Tellthemride

Reaction score
@August L. the Idle Stop and Go does in fact turn orange when the auto start/stop conditions are not met. It’s possible at some stops you don’t see the indicator at all because you didn’t press down hard enough on the brake pedal or if you brake, creep forward and brake again. Also when you have cruise control on, it also does not illuminate. If you have the car running for at least 10 minutes, turn climate control off, and then come to a complete stop at a red light pressing the brake pedal as far as it goes, it is very likely the ISG will activate with a green indicator.

If It’s 60 degrees F or lower outside, you will likely need to have the engine run longer before ISG will activate. If it’s below 30 degrees outside or if you set your indoor climate to a temp drastically different from outdoor temp, it’s unlikely it will activate at all during your drive.

blitt

Reaction score
@August L. the Idle Stop and Go does in fact turn orange when the auto start/stop conditions are not met. It’s possible at some stops you don’t see the indicator at all because you didn’t press down hard enough on the brake pedal or if you brake, creep forward and brake again. Also when you have cruise control on, it also does not illuminate. If you have the car running for at least 10 minutes, turn climate control off, and then come to a complete stop at a red light pressing the brake pedal as far as it goes, it is very likely the ISG will activate with a green indicator.

If It’s 60 degrees F or lower outside, you will likely need to have the engine run longer before ISG will activate. If it’s below 30 degrees outside or if you set your indoor climate to a temp drastically different from outdoor temp, it’s unlikely it will activate at all during your drive.
Well said! ISG is a "computer controled" function and will activate when all conditions meet the program specs.

August L.

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried to turn climate control off, outside temp is in the 70’s, foot all the way down on brake but no indicator light comes on. And yes, the ISG is on.

If the orange light comes on when the conditions are not met I wonder why the Kia service department doesn’t know this...they told me today that orange means there’s an issue and needs to be brought in for programming. Strange...

Tellthemride

Reaction score
@August L. could also be a variety of other factors. Seatbelt, coolant temp, brake vacuum pressure, battery.

if the ISG system malfunctions, it’s supposed to blink yellow for five seconds then stay lit. But this doesn’t sound like your situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if service techs do not understand all of the malfunction indicators inside and out. It is a fairly new car still.

Attachments

blitt

Reaction score
@August L. could also be a variety of other factors. Seatbelt, coolant temp, brake vacuum pressure, battery.

if the ISG system malfunctions, it’s supposed to blink yellow for five seconds then stay lit. But this doesn’t sound like your situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if service techs do not understand all of the malfunction indicators inside and out. It is a fairly new car still.
Yup!!!

TheNip73

Reaction score
Interesting observation on my end - need to do some more experimenting...

Theorizing our loud based on the last two days of driving.

Seems the auto start/stop will not activate if:

1) I plug in my iPhone for CarPlay before starting the car

And/or

2) There is not another vehicle in front of you when you stop.

Made a run to pickup some food I ordered online tonight and the four or five times I stopped the auto start/stop never worked even though met the conditions (warm engine, 40 F outside, etc.) was close to 50 miles of driving! Same thing yesterday when I stopped to pick something up from my dentist who is now closed until who knows when.

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
I notice that if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses...it will not activate. But If I'm wearing the same sunglasses with my Garmin watch, it activates. :devilish:

OK...I keed...I keed :ROFLMAO:

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TheNip73

Reaction score
Update: car won’t start this morning - 10.5 volts and 0 CCA according to battery tester. Fully charge the battery and go for a long drive. Not once does the auto start work. Check battery an hour after the drive, voltage down to low 11.X volts and only 350 CCA, when it should be 700-800 CCA.

Alternator pushing voltage to charge the battery, passes when tested.

Seems the car is smart enough to not run the auto start on a dud battery. Not sure why it isn’t smart enough to throw a low voltage warning my way - in the car or via the mobile app.

Not really in the mood to drive to dealer for testing/replacement, but I’m pretty sure I can’t buy time. The battery seems to be failing rather fast, to the point driving somewhere could result in getting stranded.