No soliciting permitted.

Bad Dealer Dealings - List Your Bad Dealer Experience

mzuniga

Reaction score
No secret that SoCal is outrageous but I'll share my recent findings, mainly in the SD area
Chula Vista - $8600 MU
Ball National City - $5000 not sure of and dealer add ons
Team Kia of El Cajon - $8000 MU with dealer add ons
Kearny Mesa - Claim they're the cheapest in the area at around $7500 with MU & dealer add on
Premier Carlsbad - $9800 with MU & Protection Plan
DCH Temecula - $8600 MU

mzuniga

Reaction score
100% why I bought my Telluride from the dealer in San Diego that I did - I was able to buy it at sticker price when some others were as high as $15,000 over.

If there is a silver lining, I bought mine in March of 2020 at a sticker of $37,4++, and the current Kelly Blue Book trade in value 19 months and 15,000 miles later is $44,000!
Where did you find a Telluride @ MSRP in SD? Just curious is all as most dealers I have seen have MU in SD.

JGM*

Reaction score
I'm actually getting mine this week. Dealer has got the vehicle on 26th but due to the bad weather here didnt get a chance to visit the showroom to pick it up.

This order was not mine, but the person before who ordered the same package as mine didn't want the vehicle so i got an option to take this one. The only difference was the exterior color. I ordered for SX Night fall in ebony black with black interior. The one i'm getting now is white exterior. White was my second option so i was good with that.

Hopefully i'll get to pick it up this weekend.
Sorry to bother you, but it won’t let me send you a PM for some reason. Anyhow I’m super curious how it went with Puyallup when you went to get your Telluride! Also, how is it? Do you love it? 😍

1968Cally

Reaction score
What brands are not doing market adjustments? Saw a Toyota dealer mark up a RAV-4 by $20,000! Dealers near me, any brand really, don't have any new cars on the lot. The only cars I see are USED, and often, those aren't even the dealer's brand. Dealers are scrambling to get anything to sell. And with much less inventory, they are trying to maintain profits by charging more (dealer markup). I'm surprised and thankful any dealers are still taking orders at MSRP. My wife gets her new car this year, me I will have to wait. Both of our cars are 12 years old, with high mileage.

Some Ford dealers are marking up new Broncos by $30,000. Some Chevy dealers are marking up new Corvettes by $100,000.

If you want to find a car with no markup, pick a model that is not popular. Otherwise, dealer markup is the norm.

The car manufacturers do not own dealerships. Dealerships can charge whatever price they want, and right now, they want more money!
All this will hurt dealers in the long run. As it is, most people have low opinions of dealers. Outrageous mark-ups will hurt the brands.

9to5

Reaction score
CarPro Huntington Beach, CA quoted me $1,200 over MSRP which I was fine with. I gave a $2,000 deposit and waited for it to arrive (end of month). Ended up arriving early so I went today to pickup and sign for it. Even after calling me and confirming $1,200 over MSRP while I was on the way. They ended up changing it to a $12,000 mark up when they brought me the papers. Left that place so fast…

Echjohn

Reaction score
Purchased my 2022 EX back in October 2021 at MSRP at Celebration Kia. Now the same 2022 EX is now an additional $6k. This seem to be the new "dealer sales model". It was bad enough paying MSRP.

Attachments

• 2022 Kia.pdf
    147.2 KB · Views: 19

zulhijj

Reaction score
Purchased my 2022 EX back in October 2021 at MSRP at Celebration Kia. Now the same 2022 EX is now an additional $6k. This seem to be the new "dealer sales model". It was bad enough paying MSRP.
Also crazy how they charge $1,225 for "inland freight and handling". My Supra to ship from Germany only cost $1,025 for "delivery, processing, & handling". I wonder if it really costs more to transport a vehicle from Georgia than Germany but 🤷‍♂️. Guess it is what it is 🤣.

movnviol

Reaction score
2.5 months later and I still don't drive my Telluride enough to know how all the bells and whistles work. I will be driving from NY to California in February and will have alot of time to figure everything out.

1968Cally

Reaction score
CarPro Huntington Beach, CA quoted me $1,200 over MSRP which I was fine with. I gave a $2,000 deposit and waited for it to arrive (end of month). Ended up arriving early so I went today to pickup and sign for it. Even after calling me and confirming $1,200 over MSRP while I was on the way. They ended up changing it to a $12,000 mark up when they brought me the papers. Left that place so fast…
In today's world, when you enter into a contract like that, it should be written out that you:

"Joe Schmoe (Buyer) will pay the MSRP plus a $1,200 (Twelve Hundred Dollars, USD) as a market adjustment for the total retail price of the vehicle and a $250.00 Joe Blow KIA (Seller) documentation fee. No other fees other than state (State name here ) and local taxes (locality county/city names here) will be assessed."

So the documentation and any other fees should be clearly stated. If they will sign a contract with wording like this, initialed by both parties, this type of crap will not happen. If they do try any shenanigans when you go to take delivery, you can threaten suing them for breach of contract.

Sad to say but a handshake and verbal understanding is worth nothing in this country any longer. Never really was with with car dealers.

nayinianu

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you, but it won’t let me send you a PM for some reason. Anyhow I’m super curious how it went with Puyallup when you went to get your Telluride! Also, how is it? Do you love it? 😍
No worries, wanted to reply back but didn't get time. Finally i was able to get to the dealership on 1/1 after the bad weather in last week of dec. Everything went smooth with the dealership with the new car, everything was almost ready. The only part which took time was for the trade in, where they tried to low ball as expected. But i was able to negotiate few times and get them around the estimate i got from Shift, vroom, etc including the WA tax credit. May have gotten another $500 more if tried vroom, KBB or others but didn't wanted to go through the hassle in the bad weather as mine was a RWD.

Telluride is awesome and I love it!. No regrets that I went with white exterior although i choose black ebony on my order. Love the look of it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-17 at 3.59.00 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-17 at 3.59.00 PM.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 20
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-17 at 3.59.00 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-17 at 3.59.00 PM (1).jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 20

rcoplien

Reaction score
See that's what I'm afraid of is everyone that orders new vehicles are probably getting shafted on their trade-ins because the dealerships have the consumers by the balls. They know they can sell the Telluride for more money with somebody else so they lowball you on your trade-ins.

rockadile

Reaction score
See that's what I'm afraid of is everyone that orders new vehicles are probably getting shafted on their trade-ins because the dealerships have the consumers by the balls. They know they can sell the Telluride for more money with somebody else so they lowball you on your trade-ins.
I don't see how the trade-in has anything to do with selling the Teluride for more money. Delaers always lowball on the trade in. If you want to take advantage of the market, get an offer from Vroom and Carvana then see if you can sell it for more.

rcoplien

Reaction score
Carvana,vroom and CarMax do not want vehicles with 160,000 on them because I'm getting offered $3,500 less. They are the worst companies to go with to get a trade in unless you have less than 80,000 on your vehicle.

arattle

Solutions
Reaction score
Carvana,vroom and CarMax do not want vehicles with 160,000 on them because I'm getting offered $3,500 less. They are the worst companies to go with to get a trade in unless you have less than 80,000 on your vehicle.
If you have 160k miles on your vehicle, there is no lowball. Either keep it as a junk car, or take what you can get. It's only valuable to you.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I declined the lowball trade offer at the time of pickup. I took both vehicles home. Two days later I sold my Ford Explorer for $4000 more to a local non Kia dealer.

rcoplien

Reaction score
I might either sell it out right to a dealership or get a written quote for what they pay me to use as leverage on a trade-in. But I need to use the money as a down payment from the vehicle that I'm getting rid of. That way my payments are lower

movnviol

Reaction score
I ended up trading my 2012 Suburban Z71 with only 60k miles for $18500 . Saved $1600 on taxes + military discount $400 = $20500 in savings. Then I found my truck for sale in Pennsylvania for a whopping 30k$ !! And it sold !!
The kicker is.....if I didn't tell them about the military discount and 1.9% financing......the dealer did not offer it. Do your homework before you buy !

Rick26

Reaction score
I ended up trading my 2012 Suburban Z71 with only 60k miles for $18500 . Saved $1600 on taxes + military discount $400 = $20500 in savings. Then I found my truck for sale in Pennsylvania for a whopping 30k$ !! And it sold !!
The kicker is.....if I didn't tell them about the military discount and 1.9% financing......the dealer did not offer it. Do your homework before you buy !
Other than higher prices, nothing has changed! Dealers are still using shady tactics, omitted information and number manipulation to get the absolute top price out of their customers. Don't be fooled by good-natured sales people or home-town loyalties. The only way to survive the car buying "dance" is to KNOW BEFORE YOU GO. Question EVERY cost, add-on, fee or other "suspicious" entry on your sales contract. Also, don't let the dealer trick you into a low-ball trade value for your car, using the "less sales tax" (if you trade in you car on a new one) to get you to give up your car. Do the math! I still came out ahead selling my older car to CarMax than the sales tax I would have saved giving my car to the dealer.

cltdba

Reaction score
Adding Stevenson Kia (Jacksonville, NC) to the bad dealer list (if they weren't already). They have 2 Tellurides on their lot with the exact build I have on order from another NC dealer (at MSRP). Contacted them and was told they add $7,995 markup to the MSRP. I said thanks, but no thanks. I'll keep waiting....

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

movnviol

Reaction score
I am currently awaiting word from Cadillac, to see if I will be getting a 2022 CT5-V Blackwing. They are only making 1500 of them and then Cadillac plans to go all electric . It is a VERY hot car to get, IF you can get it. My ace up the sleeve, is that we are neighbors of the owner of the dealership. She hasn't promised, but believes she can get me one her allotments at MSRP. I've been waiting 2 months already and haven't heard back. My 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 was bought for $43k out the door price. I have been offered $39k for it right now. I will most definitely sell it privately, than let it go to a dealer and I get screwed over. There is no honor among thieves. That is what ALL of these dealers are. They are making anywhere from 8-10% profit at MSRP.

nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners