No soliciting permitted.

Best custom cell phone mount

Socal949

Reaction score
I used the Proclip mount, Proclip extension, and a repurposed MPOW holder to place mine in between the the dash and radio. I worry the silver trim will crack due to the mount (I've seen posts about others' trims cracking without any reason), but so far so good.

View attachment 18622
Is that Netflix I see on the screen? If so please explain 😁 How do I get to do this on my Telly.

gman1868

The name is... Dumas.
Reaction score

asgalang

Reaction score

Kao

Reaction score
Not netflix, but you could. That was carstream for AA (pretty much youtube)

For me, i wanted to keep the phone as close to the dash and in my regular line of sight.
Agree, and I don't want to fill up a cup holder.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

gman1868

The name is... Dumas.
Reaction score

WaxZ28

Reaction score
I've been putting my phone into the little bucket in-between the cupholders and the dash, and using a flat black USB cable that allows the phone to be connected for Apple Play but still be able to easily keep the gloss black door closed. Now if someone could 3D print something that would fit snuggly into that bucket and have a proper positional phone mount on it...

Socal949

Reaction score
I've been putting my phone into the little bucket in-between the cupholders and the dash, and using a flat black USB cable that allows the phone to be connected for Apple Play but still be able to easily keep the gloss black door closed. Now if someone could 3D print something that would fit snuggly into that bucket and have a proper positional phone mount on it...
Picture and I’ll see if a friend can work on it. 👍

DavidTN

Reaction score
Just bought my wife a 2020 SX and I’ve started investigating cell phone mount options. I typically buy custom mounts for each car as opposed the generic varieties meant to mount to vents or into cup holders. ProClip only offers mounts down along the console, I’d like to have the phone mount right between the center LCD and instrument cluster. I found an Aukey mount that magnetically attaches to a metal plate that is glued down to the top of the dash and has an arm that extends out. But I don’t love the idea of gluing the plate down, and the mount end is magnetic only (and it doesn’t support wireless charging). Anyone found something that works well in that specific space?
I bought and tried 6-7 cell ph mounts. THIS one is the best I found fir my Telluride. Vicseed. One-handed mount/release. Heavy built. Solid as a rock. No bouncing or rattling. Has stabilizer arms built in. Seems unbreakable. https://www.amazon.com/VICSEED-Upgrade-Stable-Universal-Holder/dp/B084ZFK84T

ambient_6

Reaction score
I bought a few to try and ended up with these two. Both go in the vent. Both are solid performers. Both are magnets so require a magnetic case or piece attached to your phone/case.

I prefer the extended one because it allows you to angle the phone, and you can also hold your phone as normal. The other one sits flush so can’t angle or grasp, though it does come in 2-pack.

Magnetic Phone Car Mount, Air... Amazon.com: Magnetic Phone Car Mount, Air Vent Phone Mount for Car by HUSSELL - 360° Adjustable Universal Magnet Phone Holder - Compatible with Any Cell Phone, iPhone Galaxy LG Huawei: Home & Kitchen

Magnetic Phone Car Mount (2 Pack)... Amazon.com: Magnetic Phone Car Mount (2 Pack) FLOVEME 5N52 Magnets Hands Free Universal Smart GPS Cell Phone Holder for Car Air Vent Mount for iPhone 11 Pro Max XR XS X 8 7 Plus Samsung Galaxy S10 S9 S8 Note 10

Attachments

• 621E2246-B95E-423C-B444-535FAC28E9F5.jpeg
    621E2246-B95E-423C-B444-535FAC28E9F5.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 0629E003-4738-4986-BD21-E4AA54CA66EB.jpeg
    0629E003-4738-4986-BD21-E4AA54CA66EB.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 39
  • CE3E63F0-FBE1-4AE7-A938-316901CEBD17.jpeg
    CE3E63F0-FBE1-4AE7-A938-316901CEBD17.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 8DF36996-2515-492C-9D5C-CEF026225A11.jpeg
    8DF36996-2515-492C-9D5C-CEF026225A11.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 39
  • AF02F25E-CE45-4D35-AC93-8738548A627F.jpeg
    AF02F25E-CE45-4D35-AC93-8738548A627F.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DA631C6B-CDED-456A-A74E-A9EC3EF14D90.jpeg
    DA631C6B-CDED-456A-A74E-A9EC3EF14D90.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 992470A9-B646-46A9-9AFC-DCFFDAEB9DAD.jpeg
    992470A9-B646-46A9-9AFC-DCFFDAEB9DAD.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 38

Point37

Reaction score
For me, i wanted to keep the phone as close to the dash and in my regular line of sight.
this is what everyone should want...looking down for a second can cause a crash...i like the cd player mounts in older cars cause it would put the phone nice and high so it's no different than using the radio...i'm surprised no one has manufactured a good eye-level mount for this car yet

anyone tried the following?

too bad these guys don't have anything out yet...

another option but i don't like how it covers buttons...

Yossarian

Reaction score
After getting frustrated trying to find a good mounting solution and spending way too much money on vent mounts, dash mounts, and everything in between. I ended up taking a piece of aluminum flat stock and bending it to fit around the infotainment screen. Mounted it to the back of the screen enclosure and putting magnetic mounts on either side.
The phones sit solidly, don't block the view of anything, and are easy to re-position.
That is a brilliant solution @stormva! Would you mind posting some details? I know that you said elsewhere that you used a command strip to attach, but it would be really helpful if you would kind enough to tell us what size & gauge flat stock you used and maybe the approximate dimensions? What phone holders did you use - are they the stick-on type?

Humaid

Reaction score

Yossarian

Reaction score
I got the same as this one. But, from a different brand.

I put the magnet piece under the case. It sticks just fine.
The problem with using a magnetic mount is that it requires the use of metal plate between the phone and the case. The plate blocks wireless charging . . .

DavidTN

Reaction score
Just ught my wife a 2020 SX and I’ve started investigating cell phone mount options. I typically buy custom mounts for each car as opposed the generic varieties meant to mount to vents or into cup holders. ProClip only offers mounts down along the console, I’d like to have the phone mount right between the center LCD and instrument cluster. I found an Aukey mount that magnetically attaches to a metal plate that is glued down to the top of the dash and has an arm that extends out. But I don’t love the idea of gluing the plate down, and the mount end is magnebotic only (and it doesn’t support wireless charging). Anyone found something that works well in that specific space?

Just bought my wife a 2020 SX and I’ve started investigating cell phone mount options. I typically buy custom mounts for each car as opposed the generic varieties meant to mount to vents or into cup holders. ProClip only offers mounts down along the console, I’d like to have the phone mount right between the center LCD and instrument cluster. I found an Aukey mount that magnetically attaches to a metal plate that is glued down to the top of the dash and has an arm that extends out. But I don’t love the idea of gluing the plate down, and the mount end is magnetic only (and it doesn’t support wireless charging). Anyone found something that works well in that specific space?
I decided to "do the hundred dollar study" on finding the perfect cupholders for my 2021 Telluride. I actually bought about 8 different cupholders and tried them. Most were junk. A couple were almost good enough to suit me, and there was one I really liked. I wanted vent mount rather than door mount, bc i didn't want drinks spilling when I closed the door. I didn't want mounting over center console/storage area bc i didn't want drinks condensating or spilling over that area and making a mess. I didn't want to block my view of the main display or important controls. I wanted absolute holding power, not a mickey mouse friction grip that will slip off. My first choice was the "LITTLEMOLE -- DIPTER" cupholders. Amazon calls it "LITTLEMOLE Car Cup Holder, Car Air Vent Cup Bottle Mount, Adjustable A/C Vent Drink Holder Stand for Coffee,Water,Juice,Tea". The hooks are adjustable for vent louvre width, and hold well. the botton has a tilt adjustment, so you can get it to set level in a wide variety of vehicles, incl Telluride. They fit exactly where i wanted them to; far left driver's vent and far right passenger's vent. The top is spring loaded to easily adjust to various cup sizes. They're not made out of real heavy plastic, so if you're kind of rough, you could break it. I haven't broken one so far. I like them so well i bought 4,, two to use now and two extras in case of breakage, because they might stop making this design. They look very nice in this very vehicle IMO. - DavidTN

GinaD

Reaction score
This is the best one I’ve ever bought I love it! You can rotate it 360° and angle it.

stormva

Reaction score
I originally used the mounts that required the metal plate. We switched to the ones that attach by the MagSafe mount. I used the ones like this: HERE The ones I originally purchased aren't available anymore because Amazon has been cracking down on shops recently. If you do some digging based on the descriptions and images in the link I posted, you should be able to find the actual mounts for closer to $5 - $7 each.
The stock I used was 1.25" wid x 1/8" thick aluminum stock from Home Depot

Humaid

Reaction score
The problem with using a magnetic mount is that it requires the use of metal plate between the phone and the case. The plate blocks wireless charging . . .
To me it doesn't matter since I don't charge my phone wirelessly.