Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Child Safety

truth_in_adv

Reaction score
My wife and I fell in love with the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. They are awesome SUVs.

One of the features we loved vs other SUVs we looked at was the one-touch button on the 2nd row seats that releases the seat and makes it very easy to walk into the 3rd row.

But then my wife asked the salesperson the million dollar question. What happens if our 7 year old pushes the button while someone is in the seat and the car is moving? What happens?

The obvious answers was, it won't work...there will be some safety mechanism that prevents this from happening.

So we tested it (on a Palisade)...with all different scenarios...car in park, drive, moving...someone in the seat or the seat was empty...no matter the permutation, if someone presses the button on the second row seat to release it, the button will do as asked and release the seat.

I don't know what the actual mechanism is, but when you press the button it sounds like a motor release a latch and then the mechanical system makes the seatback spring forward and the seat base 'springs' forward.

There are two buttons on each captains chair. One next to the headrest. The other is on the side.

The button requires very little force to press. Unlike a traditional lever which requires more force to use.

When an adult is in the seat and their legs are on the ground, you can easily override the springs with your leg and back muscles. Not a major issue.

HOWEVER, if you were a child in a car seat or booster and your legs did not touch the ground, the seat will just slide forward. I tested this myself by just raising my legs and pushing the button.

It's possible that having weight in the seat actually made it worse - made it slide with more force.

Any ideas for a solution would be great.

I want to buy the SUV, but for now, we can not get past this issue.

The dealer couldn't come up with a solution either and told me to call Hyundai Customer Care, so I did.

I called Hyundai Customer Care and they sent me back to the dealer.

Any ideas?

Anyone else notice this issue?

Thanks

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
My wife and I fell in love with the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. They are awesome SUVs.

One of the features we loved vs other SUVs we looked at was the one-touch button on the 2nd row seats that releases the seat and makes it very easy to walk into the 3rd row.

But then my wife asked the salesperson the million dollar question. What happens if our 7 year old pushes the button while someone is in the seat and the car is moving? What happens?

The obvious answers was, it won't work...there will be some safety mechanism that prevents this from happening.

So we tested it (on a Palisade)...with all different scenarios...car in park, drive, moving...someone in the seat or the seat was empty...no matter the permutation, if someone presses the button on the second row seat to release it, the button will do as asked and release the seat.

I don't know what the actual mechanism is, but when you press the button it sounds like a motor release a latch and then the mechanical system makes the seatback spring forward and the seat base 'springs' forward.

There are two buttons on each captains chair. One next to the headrest. The other is on the side.

The button requires very little force to press. Unlike a traditional lever which requires more force to use.

When an adult is in the seat and their legs are on the ground, you can easily override the springs with your leg and back muscles. Not a major issue.

HOWEVER, if you were a child in a car seat or booster and your legs did not touch the ground, the seat will just slide forward. I tested this myself by just raising my legs and pushing the button.

It's possible that having weight in the seat actually made it worse - made it slide with more force.

Any ideas for a solution would be great.

I want to buy the SUV, but for now, we can not get past this issue.

The dealer couldn't come up with a solution either and told me to call Hyundai Customer Care, so I did.

I called Hyundai Customer Care and they sent me back to the dealer.

Any ideas?

Anyone else notice this issue?

Thanks
I gave this info to my KIA dealer and he was to pass it on to the KIA rep that was at his place that afternoon . I really could see a recall coming on this if the accidents happen. I told him it would only take one little fix to have a weight switch or better yet a switch if the car is in drive or not in park to make the button not work. Yes it means a adding a electric switch to the seat but one life would be worth the switch. I am pursuing this on to KIA when I can find the right contact for I have my first grandson coming in January and I in no way want my or anyone else's child to hurt.

truth_in_adv

Reaction score
Thank You.

Maybe you will get a better response than me.

I was surprised when I shared this info with the Dealer and Hyundai Customer Care that there really was no one who seemed to be able to take any action on my feedback. It felt like my comment was just going to be ignored. No one said they'd follow up with me with a definitive answer.

We tried to look in the manual and it sounded like Hyundai understood this issue exists because it says NOT to push the button when someone is seated or the car is moving as serious injury could occur....well that may be true...but every kid I know finds buttons irresistible to press.

I really love the SUV and want to get one - but the wife is a hard pass if i can't find a solution.

So I am hoping there is some fix out there.

G

G-695481

Same issue here, i have a 2 year old that was jumping in the 3rd row and by curiosity pressed the button while someone was sitting on it (me) and it launched me forward and she tripped but didnt hurt herself. I told her to not do it anymore but like any kid, she did it again. My only current solution is a small cover for the button and this will leave you with only the bottom button to move the seat. Yes kids will be kids and in this era they will beat technology.

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
Thank You.

Maybe you will get a better response than me.

I was surprised when I shared this info with the Dealer and Hyundai Customer Care that there really was no one who seemed to be able to take any action on my feedback. It felt like my comment was just going to be ignored. No one said they'd follow up with me with a definitive answer.

We tried to look in the manual and it sounded like Hyundai understood this issue exists because it says NOT to push the button when someone is seated or the car is moving as serious injury could occur....well that may be true...but every kid I know finds buttons irresistible to press.

I really love the SUV and want to get one - but the wife is a hard pass if i can't find a solution.

So I am hoping there is some fix out there.
Will do my best to keep everyone informed. BTW any dealers on here that might have contact with KIA could push this thru also. Any help would be nice.

Uvabigm

Reaction score
This would be my first car with a third row seat, but do other similar vehicles (highlander, pilot, ascent) handle this any different? I test drove all of them, but never thought to try this scenario out.

truth_in_adv

Reaction score
Good Question Uvabigm

I haven't looked at all the SUVs out there...but when shopping with my wife we noticed how each vehicle we looked at had a very different mechanism.

Most systems have a lever, not a "one-touch" button.

So yes, a kid could pull a lever.

But the child would need to get out of the seat belt and be strong enough to pull the lever....a 7 or 8-year-old kid could probably do this. But a 4 or 5-year-old probably couldn't.

Any child capable of reaching the one-touch button could activate the system.

I think was the SIMPLICITY of the Telluride/Palisade system that is so compelling and at the same time a safety concern

We may eliminate all 3 row vehicles as a result of this issue as there really isn't a better 3 row SUV :-(

I really want a solution

truth_in_adv

Reaction score
Same issue here, i have a 2 year old that was jumping in the 3rd row and by curiosity pressed the button while someone was sitting on it (me) and it launched me forward and she tripped but didnt hurt herself. I told her to not do it anymore but like any kid, she did it again. My only current solution is a small cover for the button and this will leave you with only the bottom button to move the seat. Yes kids will be kids and in this era they will beat technology.
G-695481

I am glad you are ok

Based on your quick reply, it appears as if you and I are not alone with this being an issue.

I hope a solution can be found.

aaroneast

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Will do my best to keep everyone informed. BTW any dealers on here that might have contact with KIA could push this thru also. Any help would be nice.
I will talk to my KIA and try to get something in motion also I am going to SEMA in November there are also high level Kia reps there. I will do my best to help find a solution!

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Good Question Uvabigm

I haven't looked at all the SUVs out there...but when shopping with my wife we noticed how each vehicle we looked at had a very different mechanism.

Most systems have a lever, not a "one-touch" button.

So yes, a kid could pull a lever.

But the child would need to get out of the seat belt and be strong enough to pull the lever....a 7 or 8-year-old kid could probably do this. But a 4 or 5-year-old probably couldn't.

Any child capable of reaching the one-touch button could activate the system.

I think was the SIMPLICITY of the Telluride/Palisade system that is so compelling and at the same time a safety concern

We may eliminate all 3 row vehicles as a result of this issue as there really isn't a better 3 row SUV :-(

I really want a solution
Check out the MDX. It has the same system... might want to see how that one operates differently if at all.