No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Children's Car Seats in 2nd Row.. Please Advise

Bradish

Reaction score
Hey all -

I am currently shopping around for a new family car. The Telluride has obvious appeal, but I'm not finding much information about the fit of car seats / functionality.

Our situation:
No kids currently, but plan on 2-3 in the near future.
Telluride is currently #1 appeal in our search, we prefer the 2nd row captains chair layout - so likely looking at an 'S' model with some options added. (EX-P and SX are just a bit out of reach for us)
I'm 6'3", wife is 5'2".
Would like to keep whichever car we buy 10ish years.

My concern:
I want to be able to sit in either passenger or driver front seat and have enough leg room to be comfortable with a rear facing car seat behind me. I had my spine fused last year (L5-S1 - at 30 yr old no less) so this is a non-negotiable item for me.

Is this feasible in the Telluride?

Advise, experience, opinions all welcome! Thank you!

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that you'll have plenty legroom space from either the front seats w/ car seats installed on the 2nd row Captains chairs.

Look at some youtube videos on the space you all get with the Telluride.

Bradish

Reaction score
I think that you'll have plenty legroom space from either the front seats w/ car seats installed on the 2nd row Captains chairs.

Look at some youtube videos on the space you all get with the Telluride.
Yeah, I've looked up all the dimensional specs and it sure seems like it should be fine - however I've also heard from many people that the rear facing car seats are total space hogs.

For example I have multiple friends warning me away from the Ford Explorer due to rear facing seats space issues, and the dimensional aspects of the Explorer to the Telluride aren't worlds apart.

SX88

Reaction score
Hey all -

I am currently shopping around for a new family car. The Telluride has obvious appeal, but I'm not finding much information about the fit of car seats / functionality.

Our situation:
Telluride is currently #1 appeal in our search, we prefer the 2nd row captains chair layout - so likely looking at an 'S' model with some options added. (EX-P and SX are just a bit out of reach for us)
I'm 6'3", wife is 5'2".

My concern:
I want to be able to sit in either passenger or driver front seat and have enough leg room to be comfortable with a rear facing car seat behind me. I had my spine fused last year (L5-S1 - at 30 yr old no less) so this is a non-negotiable item for me.

I would attach the thread here, but Idk how. Search “Car Seat Fit” to find some good info in there.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Hey all -

Our situation:
I'm 6'3", wife is 5'2".

My concern:

DanPorges

Reaction score
I pick up my SX tomorrow and will be installing a Chicco NextFit Zip rear facing on the passenger side and a Chicco MyFit Zip Air front facing on the driver side. I am happy to take a few pictures for you in a variety of seat positions if you remind me.... I will be enjoying my new car and it may slip my mind!

jdaake07

Reaction score
While I haven’t received my SX yet, the adjustable 2nd row is one of the reasons we went with the Telluride over more premium options. We have a 2017 Grand Cherokee now and when our daughter was in a carrier, it was uncomfortable for me to sit in the passenger seat and I’m only 6’0”.

My MIL has a 2017 Highlander. It has several more inches of car seat space than the Grand Cherokee. The Telluride should be similar, if not slightly larger, than the Highlander.

j0hne

Reaction score
I have the following rear facing car seat behind the driver seat right now:

As you can see, the back part of that car seat sticks out quite a bit, and for it to have a base doesn’t help that either. Despite all that, I’m 5’10” and have enough leg room being a driver. Pretty sure you’ll be just fine.

Cromusz

Reaction score
I'm 6' and didn't have any issues with the rear facing car seat behind my seat. It helps that the second row captain chairs can be moved back to give additional room. I would recommend that you just install the car seat behind where the shorter person normally sits to fight off this issue. It all depends on how far back you like to sit too.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

AustereSpoon

Reaction score
I am 6'5'' and we have the Chicco NextFit Zip Air for our little guy installed behind the passenger seat, and I can still comfortably sit over there if the wife is driving. (Also we really love this car seat is a definite upgrade over the basic Gracco ones whenever the time comes for you, thats a different discussion tho.) I have plenty of head and leg room in either seat with it back there tho. The Telluride is almost magically good with leg room given its size, which was of huge appeal to us when we went car shopping as I mentioned my height already. I can set the driver seat where I normally drive, and still sit "behind myself" in the second row as well. Its really great about leg and head room. I would 100% recommend it. Also, the second row doors open super wide which while it can cause problems sorta if you are parked really close to someone is actually never a bad thing, but is super helpful for getting the little ones in or out of there with plenty of room to spare.

gmurray

Reaction score
The Chicco Next Fit Zip Convertible was a fantastic seat for my little one. Rear facing is now until they are at least 2 years old and meet the size requirements to turn forward. The Chicco was the only one I could get to install correctly with the leveling bubbles in my Subaru Forester. It is not a big carseat and I can't see it would cause any issues that would affect the front driver seat position. There is really a ton of room in the second row of the Telluride and you can push second row captain chairs all the way back.

rvv2002

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have captain chairs with 2 kids. One rear facing, one front facing. Both seats are heavy ass chicco seats. Massive. Have rear facing in passenger side and when I sit there pretty much all the way (minus 1 inch maybe) I'm plenty comfortable. When I drive I have it all the way back and front facing kid is happy. I'm 5'11 but also am a big guy so I need ma space. Go for it.

DanPorges

Reaction score
So first, I will tell you we went from Chicco KeyFit30 zip, to NextFit Zip to MyFit Zip Air and I wouldn’t buy another brand between ease of cleaning and safety ratings (and maybe even in that order after one car sick child)

that said, here are the pics I promised...93EFB121-6149-4862-BA88-12FE7A359396.jpeg
DC0108EE-1F96-4428-AECD-FF4C3E945E5F.jpeg
Those are with both front seats all the way back and the passenger seat slightly reclined

Thegerb50

Reaction score
Hey all -

Our situation:
I'm 6'3", wife is 5'2".

My concern:

I literally have the same problem as you. I’m 36. 6’3” 260lbs. I have an infant in a rear facing seat and a toddler in a regular car seat. I have had a microdiscectomy x2 on L5 S1. It took me a few drives to get the seat where I needed it, but there is plenty of room The rear facing seat touches the front seat when it is all the way back but I am able to fit comfortably.

raydog9379

Reaction score
Yeah, you'll be fine. We are getting a Telluride because of space really w/ our 3 kids. It's well laid out, puts the Yukon to shame really with how they used the space and it's a much smaller vehicle (not sure how they did it). I'm w/ you big guys. 6'2 260 and I fit in the 3rd row great (no knees touch)...our test with checking out all these cars was if we fit (wife is 5'10 and I'm 6'2) then whichever kid gets the 3rd row will be fine. Just turned 10 year old son wears a men's 11.5 shoe and is 5'4, all 3 of our kids are ridiculously tall for their age. 2nd row is even way better, tons of room... huge. Fitting rear facing seats will be no issue whatsoever. I've got an Infiniti JX35 which at the time it launched in 2012 was the be-all best option for people w/ car seats and ability to reach 3rd row w/ the car seat installed (was our reason then). The Telluride is much bigger inside at least layout wise.

Luvcats69

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey all -

Our situation:
I'm 6'3", wife is 5'2".

My concern:

I am 6 ft 3 in have a rear-facing car seat behind me and a front facing car seat on the passenger side, second row, and there is more than enough seat room to move the seat backwards another 6in or more.