No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Consumer Reports Ratings, and the Tellurides new-found fame…

• Thread author

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve spent some considerable time on other car forums while doing some research on my next car purchase. I happen to check out the Subaru Ascent forums since they’ve been really high on CR and the accolades the Ascent got last year. Now that the Ascent took a significant dive on the ratings, some of their members are now complaining that the CR score doesn’t matter, and turning their rage towards the top-dog (yes…the Telluride).

Bottom line … I am not going to gloat on this sudden boost in consumer confidence with the Telluride (and Kia in general), and just gonna go about my day happy and confident that I made the right choice.

CR-SUV rating.png

MAKELLA.O

Reaction score
As each day passes I am more and more pleased with my Telluride! I have owned 3 Sorentos that I loved! And now I am a Telluride customer! Kia gets better an better!!!! For what you get with this SUV the price should be alot higher (glad its not though). I mean whoever has one truly made the right investment, resell and or trade in will be great!

mshabana

Reaction score
I’ve spent some considerable time on other car forums while doing some research on my next car purchase. I happen to check out the Subaru Ascent forums since they’ve been really high on CR and the accolades the Ascent got last year. Now that the Ascent took a significant dive on the ratings, some of their members are now complaining that the CR score doesn’t matter, and turning their rage towards the top-dog (yes…the Telluride).

Bottom line … I am not going to gloat on this sudden boost in consumer confidence with the Telluride (and Kia in general), and just gonna go about my day happy and confident that I made the right choice.

View attachment 4977
So much for "acceleration is slugish".

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Honestly, the difference between 1st and 10th is kind of random. The ascent forum is a little bit of a hot toxic mess, but they try. They get very defensive and are completely misinformed about the telluride, but it is not the telluride forum.

The Ascent is a great SUV. For me, the Telluride is simply better. For those that are on the fense, test drive, test drive, and research both cars. Pick the best for you.

Pmauro55

Reaction score
I’m going to get a Telluride; but not now I will be damned if I’m going to pay thousands of dollars OVER MSRP for any car no matter how great it is. I live in Vermont and every dealer within 150 miles is quoting 5-9 thousand over MSRP for an SXP it should be a crime, and don’t give me that supply and demand crap there are plenty SX out there these greedy bastards are just gouging the hell out of us. On dealer in NH said if you don’t buy it we will wait someone will.😡

blitt

Reaction score
Honestly, the difference between 1st and 10th is kind of random. The ascent forum is a little bit of a hot toxic mess, but they try. They get very defensive and are completely misinformed about the telluride, but it is not the telluride forum.

The Ascent is a great SUV. For me, the Telluride is simply better. For those that are on the fense, test drive, test drive, and research both cars. Pick the best for you.
Best part of that advice....."pick the best for YOU!" For me.....i was looking at a 75K Lincoln Aviator, but this KIA SX P has ALL the goodies and capability that the 2020 Lincoln has AND more!! ...... for 28K less!

zhelder

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Funny... the scores are different than the scores the magazine gave. I don’t remember them all, but I do remember the magazine gave the Telluride a 90 and the Palisade an 84.

Wonder why there’s a difference...

blitt

Reaction score
Funny... the scores are different than the scores the magazine gave. I don’t remember them all, but I do remember the magazine gave the Telluride a 90 and the Palisade an 84.

Wonder why there’s a difference...

Well, that is not MUCH of a difference.....difference can be anything from "overall appearance" to "available options", etc.

bakerwi

Reaction score
As each day passes I am more and more pleased with my Telluride! I have owned 3 Sorentos that I loved! And now I am a Telluride customer! Kia gets better an better!!!! For what you get with this SUV the price should be alot higher (glad its not though). I mean whoever has one truly made the right investment, resell and or trade in will be great!
Only time will tell! ;)

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I’m going to get a Telluride; but not now I will be damned if I’m going to pay thousands of dollars OVER MSRP for any car no matter how great it is. I live in Vermont and every dealer within 150 miles is quoting 5-9 thousand over MSRP for an SXP it should be a crime, and don’t give me that supply and demand crap there are plenty SX out there these greedy bastards are just gouging the hell out of us. On dealer in NH said if you don’t buy it we will wait someone will.😡
Order from Kia of Muncie for costco pricing and have them ship it to you, still probably be below MSRP

DruKe

Reaction score
Order from Kia of Muncie for costco pricing and have them ship it to you, still probably be below MSRP
I've gotten pricing from Muncie, very easy to communicate with and well below MSRP delivered out of state.

critrider

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone a current CR subscriber? I read that the Ascent cratered to something like a 45 overall score in the January 2020 issue. Curious as to what caused that if true

LVP

Reaction score

View attachment 4977
Thanks for that information...I'm hoping that it will make my 4-6 months (minus 9 days so far :)) wait for my SXP sting a little less :)

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

kane

Reaction score

View attachment 4977
Telluride is simply awesome. The only SUV I could consider picking over Telluride would be GV80

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone a current CR subscriber? I read that the Ascent cratered to something like a 45 overall score in the January 2020 issue. Curious as to what caused that if true
Not a CR subscriber, but from what I've read.....their Infotainment (In-car Electronics) took a huge hit.

Last edited:

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
82, number 7 over all. Anything in the top 10 are pretty much equal in every measure.

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
Allegedly the January 2020 issue drops this to 45. Seems like a precipitous drop but could be.
The CR reliability ratings are survey responses of owners.

The reliability questions will state a category, (e.g. electronics or engine) and then they identify the specific components they want to know about. If the consumers have a lot of complaints (on the Ascent's case, it's the electronics), then it factors in those scores.

I suspect the same thing with the Telluride in the next couple of years. Consumers will voice their concern/issues (UVO will take a hit, probably) and the scores and ratings will reflect this.