Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Dealer Markup

Furio

Reaction score
I went to see the Telluride for the first time today. The dealership I went to, which will remain nameless, didn’t use a standard markup, but added over $3,000 to the MSRP with items such as security system, nitrogen filled tires, and a paint/fabric protection. Needless to say, I won’t be buying from them if they don’t remove those charges. I can wait another 2-3 years when my next lease is done to take a look.

Bruce_wayne8887

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I went to see the Telluride for the first time today. The dealership I went to, which will remain nameless, didn’t use a standard markup, but added over $3,000 to the MSRP with items such as security system, nitrogen filled tires, and a paint/fabric protection. Needless to say, I won’t be buying from them if they don’t remove those charges. I can wait another 2-3 years when my next lease is done to take a look.
Ouch. I would definitely try a different dealership. Ive heard of honda dealerships doing the nitrogen bs.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Why not name the dealer? You could save our members and viewers a lot of time by letting them skip that dealership and give their time to a more worthy sales team...

chiflado

Reaction score
All the dealers in the SF Bay Area and LA Area are charging anywhere between $2k - $6k mark up above the MSRP. I called a dealer in Houston, TX and they are not doing that. CA is the only state that it is charging extra for this car. I guess is the law of supply and demand.

Mr White

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
All the dealers in the SF Bay Area and LA Area are charging anywhere between $2k - $6k mark up above the MSRP. I called a dealer in Houston, TX and they are not doing that. CA is the only state that it is charging extra for this car. I guess is the law of supply and demand.
Its not limited by state, we have saw NJ dealers charging $20K over MSRP. I have two dealers within 10 miles of me in Maryland, one is charging over MSRP, once is matching kia.com dollar for dollar. If the dealer is charging extra, just look for another dealer.

jleeser

Reaction score
Looking around, I just found the dealership up the road from me got a snow white pearl w/black interior SX Prestige w/towing package in (exactly what I want). They want $50,045. From my mild looking around, because I won't be in the market until later this year, that is the most expensive SX I've seen so far in my area.

homerunbm33

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Its not limited by state, we have saw NJ dealers charging $20K over MSRP. I have two dealers within 10 miles of me in Maryland, one is charging over MSRP, once is matching kia.com dollar for dollar. If the dealer is charging extra, just look for another dealer.
What dealers in Maryland have you talked to?

Mr White

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
What dealers in Maryland have you talked to?
Depends on what your situation is, but I have talked to a lot of them.

King Kia has moved more inventory than anybody else in MD, but they will not work with you on anything. They will contact you about new shipments, but if you aren't the first person there offering enough money they will sell to whoever shows up, not holding a car for you at all or taking any orders (even before the SX stop order)

Kia of Laurel had no idea what was going on, I would avoid them.

DARCARs Kia and Kia of Bowie I had the best luck with. Kia of Bowie was happy to help, and matched pricing, but they are a low volume dealer. DARCARs I loved the sales manager I spoke with, but the other sales guys seemed to feed some BS or just be uninformed about what was going on. The sales manager had his stuff together, and was very helpful.

If you are not opposed to traveling a little, my go to in this area would be Abeloff Kia in Stroudsburg PA. Excellent group of people, and very clear about everything. I wish they had received the car I wanted first, because I really wanted to give them my business. Martin Kia in Delaware I also had great conversations with, and seemed like a good group to deal with.

With that said I ended up buying in Riverhead, NY at Eagle Auto Kia because they received the prestige SX I wanted, and I did not care about a drive to get it. I did talk pricing with all of these dealers, so I got to see how they were going to handle things.

homerunbm33

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Depends on what your situation is, but I have talked to a lot of them.

King Kia has moved more inventory than anybody else in MD, but they will not work with you on anything. They will contact you about new shipments, but if you aren't the first person there offering enough money they will sell to whoever shows up, not holding a car for you at all or taking any orders (even before the SX stop order)

Kia of Laurel had no idea what was going on, I would avoid them.

DARCARs Kia and Kia of Bowie I had the best luck with. Kia of Bowie was happy to help, and matched pricing, but they are a low volume dealer. DARCARs I loved the sales manager I spoke with, but the other sales guys seemed to feed some BS or just be uninformed about what was going on. The sales manager had his stuff together, and was very helpful.

If you are not opposed to traveling a little, my go to in this area would be Abeloff Kia in Stroudsburg PA. Excellent group of people, and very clear about everything. I wish they had received the car I wanted first, because I really wanted to give them my business. Martin Kia in Delaware I also had great conversations with, and seemed like a good group to deal with.

With that said I ended up buying in Riverhead, NY at Eagle Auto Kia because they received the prestige SX I wanted, and I did not care about a drive to get it. I did talk pricing with all of these dealers, so I got to see how they were going to handle things.
Wow, thanks!

I've talked to a few too and the worst by far was King Kia. I'd have to say I'd never do business with them. I have a deposit down with Brown's Kia in VA but I'm not sure I'm going to go through with the purchase. I really don't like the dealer and they are adding on a bogus "Dealer appearance package" that I have 0 need for.

On a side note I've never bought a car out of state. When you got yours in NJ how did that work? Did they give you a temp tag? How was the process of getting tags, title and paying taxes in MD?

Mr White

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, thanks!

I've talked to a few too and the worst by far was King Kia. I'd have to say I'd never do business with them. I have a deposit down with Brown's Kia in VA but I'm not sure I'm going to go through with the purchase. I really don't like the dealer and they are adding on a bogus "Dealer appearance package" that I have 0 need for.

On a side note I've never bought a car out of state. When you got yours in NJ how did that work? Did they give you a temp tag? How was the process of getting tags, title and paying taxes in MD?
Buying out of state was very easy for me, and it was cheaper for me in NY than what it would have been in MD. Each state has an average dealer fee, and some states have legally capped those fees. Just be upfront with the dealer you are out of state, and they will sort it all for you. The dealer will adjust sales tax based on your state, and not where they are located, so NY charged me the 6% MD state tax. My dealer fees in NY were much lower than what MDs were, but that could vary based on where you go. The dealer also took care of transferring tags for me. I had a 30 day temporary tag until I received my MD registration in the mail.

I have purchased VA vehicles before for MD also, and did the transfer myself. Its pretty simple. As long as you can show that you paid tax equal to or more than what the MD state tax is, they do not charge you any additional taxes, just the new car registration fee. There is also some leniency on state inspection as long as you get the new car transferred within 90 days or something, don't remember the exact time frame.

Jersey City Kia

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
If you want a good deal consider the LX model or S and EX, the SXP seems to be the 1 that is most in demand. The S model is well equipped. Right now I have 1 LX and 1 EX both are black and i'm not asking over MSRP. Actually i'm willing to take a little off the top.f

RW4

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Homerun, I would push back on that. I had issues with overcharge attempts and B.S. experiences with several different Northern VA dealers. I went in with an order at Browns KiA and made it clear I wanted no dealer up charges, appearance packages, pinstripes, nitrogen filled tires, or any other kind of crap. They were great to me and didn’t do any of the other stuff that the other dealers tried. I took delivery of my S model recently. Browns was by far the best to me in my circumstance. Hope it works out for you whomever you find as you shouldn’t have to deal with any of that appearance pkg B.S.

homerunbm33

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Homerun, I would push back on that. I had issues with overcharge attempts and B.S. experiences with several different Northern VA dealers. I went in with an order at Browns KiA and made it clear I wanted no dealer up charges, appearance packages, pinstripes, nitrogen filled tires, or any other kind of crap. They were great to me and didn’t do any of the other stuff that the other dealers tried. I took delivery of my S model recently. Browns was by far the best to me in my circumstance. Hope it works out for you whomever you find as you shouldn’t have to deal with any of that appearance pkg B.S.
I definitely tried. They are charging 900 for all weather floor mats, door guards and pin stripes. The door guards and pin strips look awful. I plan on going back and requesting a refund of my deposit if they won't take the charge off. But I'm not holding my breath that they will. I'll get the "well, someone else will buy it." Unfortunately they are probably right.

squishytoad

Reaction score
Kia gave dealers approval for up to 7k in add ons because dealers are making nothing at msrp. hope this helps. basically theyre selling too cheap is what i was told. the fact its happening everywhere makes it plausible imo.

squishytoad

Reaction score
Kia gave dealers approval for up to 7k in add ons because dealers are making nothing at msrp. hope this helps. basically theyre selling too cheap is what i was told. the fact its happening everywhere makes it plausible imo.
in addition, they will no longer be manufacturing the SX until later in the year. You won't be able to get your hands on one until this time next year.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? Kia doesn't tell a dealer what they can sell a car for nor what they can add on to it. The only thing Kia does is put a recommended retail price on the vehicle.

squishytoad

Reaction score
Where did you hear this? Kia doesn't tell a dealer what they can sell a car for nor what they can add on to it. The only thing Kia does is put a recommended retail price on the vehicle.
I bought one and grilled the dealer all the way up to the general manager and the answer was generally the same. The demand is very high, they don't make enough money and dealers are strategically adding on to get the money to make it profitable. "Kia" wasn't the term he used, he used "they said" when he said they authorized 7 grand in up selled junk. I too went though the WHY THE F*** do I need this crap shpeal and I feel like I grilled the honest out of them. They ended up telling me it was pure profit after I got them to shut up about how great the upselling was.

For the short term, There's not a lot of vehicles available. When manufacturing ramps up, we should see this come down. Until then, take my words and the dealer add ons with a grain of salt.