No soliciting permitted.

Electrical System Shut Down

Durtec

Reaction score
My 2 month old Telluride abruptly shut down at a stop light in the middle of traffic. The total electrical system went out for no apparent reason leaving me stranded in the middle of a highway. Pretty frightening actually. Dealer has no idea what caused it. Anybody else had this issue?

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Number one cause is a loose battery cable. Take it off, clean it, and tighten it down. Even a small amount of oxide and looseness can cause that.

G

G-507011

Number one cause is a loose battery cable. Take it off, clean it, and tighten it down. Even a small amount of oxide and looseness can cause that.
But it’s a brand new car🤷‍♂️ Should not be the case.

Koreywil

Reaction score
But wouldn't you think that would happen on an older car? I mean the Oxide part...

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
But wouldn't you think that would happen on an older car? I mean the Oxide part...
No. I have gotten brand new batteries with oxide built up on them. Which is why to install them, you have to clean them with a wire brush.

If you go through the battery section of the auto store, you will find some with oxides built up on them.

New cars also suffer from them, some times the factory will add battery protect gel to the post, some times they will not.

Here is a quick and easy way to build up battery oxides in the first 1000 miles.

Turn everything on your car with out starting it, so you are just draining the battery alot, this will build up the copper sulfides specially in high humidity. Then get into the car, drive it a short distance, just enough to recharge the battery, this will build up the aluminium sulfide in high humidity. Repeat. You will have copper and aluminium sulfide on those posts in no time. And it helps if the clamps are loose. We need a large discharge with high amps and then nothing here.

James

Reaction score
My 2 month old Telluride abruptly shut down at a stop light in the middle of traffic. The total electrical system went out for no apparent reason leaving me stranded in the middle of a highway. Pretty frightening actually. Dealer has no idea what caused it. Anybody else had this issue?
[/QUOTE
How did you get out of the middle of the highway ?

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

When you said the KT abruptly shut down, do you mean the engine died by itself or did the auto engine ON/OFF trigger causing the engine to turn off? Unless you disable this function the engine will automatically turn OFF when you stop.

Secondly, when you said total electrical system went out what do you mean? Do everything on the dash turned off, power door locks/windows didnt work, and all other electrical system stopped working? Some people reported that they lost the dash while driving (Root cause: loose connector) but it was only the dash.

After the engine died and you pressed the start button, what happed? Anything? Heard any sound?

Did the dealer check the battery/charging system? What did they say?

G

G-645289

When you said the KT abruptly shut down, do you mean the engine died by itself or did the auto engine ON/OFF trigger causing the engine to turn off? Unless you disable this function the engine will automatically turn OFF when you stop.

Secondly, when you said total electrical system went out what do you mean? Do everything on the dash turned off, power door locks/windows didnt work, and all other electrical system stopped working? Some people reported that they lost the dash while driving (Root cause: loose connector) but it was only the dash.

After the engine died and you pressed the start button, what happed? Anything? Heard any sound?

I just got home and my wife telluride won't start: climate control didn't start

Durtec

Reaction score

[/

As I said, the total electrical system went dead, no lights, no nothing. Turns out it was the sensor on the battery cable that went bad for some reason. Dealer overnighted a new one and all good ever since.

Durtec

Reaction score
No electrical, no sound no nothing! It was a sensor on the battery cable that went bad. Lot’s of electronics on the rolling computer!

JWats

Reaction score

JWats

Reaction score
Hi there, it has been a year almost to the day since you posted your Telluride shut down post, have you had any issues with your Telluride since? I recently had a very similar experience with my 1-month old 2021 Telluride, it abruptly shut down while accelerating into a left-hand turn leaving me in the middle of oncoming traffic. The engine and electrical system completely shut off and there were no lights or warning sounds at all. The dealer has completed extensive tests and they have found no issues. Although the vehicle has completely checked out, as no cause was determined for this shut-down, this could potentially happen again. In your case, it was found to be a sensor on the battery which you were able to repair. I thought I could follow-up to see if you have had any issues since, hopefully not! Many thanks

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!