Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

First Safety Recall - Seatbelts

515EX

Reaction score
There’s been a lot of chatter in the Facebook groups this morning about the first recall, so I thought I’d share here. Sounds like it’s specifically related to using the seatbelt method when installing a child safety seat and the lap belt not locking. Called my local dealer and confirmed it was issued within the past 24 hours and that it would take a few hours to inspect. If they find the part numbers associated with the recall, they’ll need to order and install the new seatbelts. 78361324-E7E6-4170-A773-DB135AB23EB1.jpeg

Last edited:

PL/OB Diego

Reaction score
There’s been a lot of chatter in the Facebook groups this morning about the first recall, so I thought I’d share here. Sounds like it’s specifically related to using the seatbelt method when installing a child safety seat and the lap belt not locking. Called my local dealer and confirmed it was issued within the past 24 hours and that it would take a few hours to inspect. If they find the part numbers associated with the recall, they’ll need to order and install the new seatbelts. View attachment 3299
Looks like all seat belts (except driver, not requirement) does not meet the automatic locking retractor standards for child safety seats.

515EX

Reaction score
As of 8/16/2019 at 10 pm that recall is not showing on the nhtsa.gov website.
It’s not showing in the UVO app either, or at least it wasn’t a few hours ago. We have a few Kia service folks in the Facebook group and they said that’s not abnormal for a newly issued recall. Multiple people have already stopped into the dealer for inspection. The said it only took 15-20 minutes and none of the few who went needed their belts replaced. Hopefully it’s minimal impact.

Rondakay

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s been a lot of chatter in the Facebook groups this morning about the first recall, so I thought I’d share here. Sounds like it’s specifically related to using the seatbelt method when installing a child safety seat and the lap belt not locking. Called my local dealer and confirmed it was issued within the past 24 hours and that it would take a few hours to inspect. If they find the part numbers associated with the recall, they’ll need to order and install the new seatbelts. View attachment 3299
I actually had mine at the dealer Friday morning getting the drivers seatbelt assembly replaced. It buggered up around July 12, three days after picking up my vehicle and it took a month for the new assembly to get in. When I picked up that afternoon they told me about the recall and that they had ordered the new assembly's for my vehicle and would call when they got in. I did not ask how many but was under impression it was all .

515EX

Reaction score
I actually had mine at the dealer Friday morning getting the drivers seatbelt assembly replaced. It buggered up around July 12, three days after picking up my vehicle and it took a month for the new assembly to get in. When I picked up that afternoon they told me about the recall and that they had ordered the new assembly's for my vehicle and would call when they got in. I did not ask how many but was under impression it was all .
Correct, I believe anything off the assembly line before 8/1 has the possibility of having the recalled belts. There has been a dozen or so in the Facebook group who’ve taken them in but only one person actually had the bad belts and needed the new assembly.

Last edited:

BrianF

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that image. I had just been to the dealer Thursday before the recall announcement came out. With this information I was able to check and determine that my Telluride has the proper belts. Now I can just wait until my next regular dealer visit to have them sign off on it.

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
I see another recall maybe coming down for seats. I don't think one should be able to push the button to move the second row seats forward when in drive mode. I tried this and the button can be pushed and the seat moves forward while moving. Now here is the part that concerns me is if one was to have a baby seat attached in the second row behind drive and a person in the third row hits the button to move the seat forward, what happens to the baby seat. I may need to perform more tests to see if enough weight is in the second row seat, the button may not work. I think KIA should have put a safety switch attached to computer showing car in any gear the button will not work. Just my two cents worth and if for some reason the seat will move at any time the button is pushed, I see law suits coming. Please chime in and anyone with a baby seat please weight you baby seat down and have someone push button and seat if seat moves. The last thing I or anyone wants is for a person to get hurt because someone did not look at all possibilities that could happen. Please chime in for I know we had one person already said this happened to them.

cheeks80

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure if you folks felt it... The seat belts in my Telluride feel thinner than than my 2013 Outback... Not sure if this had to do with the Non US version of seatbelts...

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I see another recall maybe coming down for seats. I don't think one should be able to push the button to move the second row seats forward when in drive mode. I tried this and the button can be pushed and the seat moves forward while moving. Now here is the part that concerns me is if one was to have a baby seat attached in the second row behind drive and a person in the third row hits the button to move the seat forward, what happens to the baby seat. I may need to perform more tests to see if enough weight is in the second row seat, the button may not work. I think KIA should have put a safety switch attached to computer showing car in any gear the button will not work. Just my two cents worth and if for some reason the seat will move at any time the button is pushed, I see law suits coming. Please chime in and anyone with a baby seat please weight you baby seat down and have someone push button and seat if seat moves. The last thing I or anyone wants is for a person to get hurt because someone did not look at all possibilities that could happen. Please chime in for I know we had one person already said this happened to them.
Acura MDX has these same buttons along with Palisade... MDX has had for quite a while - never heard of any issues. But, I see your concern.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

515EX

Reaction score
I went in and got mine expected today. Took 20 mins and I wasn’t affected. Even if you check for yourself at home using the picture in this thread, you’ll still want to take it into the dealer for inspection. They’ll give you a signed piece of paper that documents they inspected the vehicle and that no issues were found. Apparently it’s needed for warranty and liability purposes.

critrider

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Correct, I believe anything off the assembly line before 8/1 has the possibility of having the recalled belts. There has been a dozen or so in the Facebook group who’ve taken them in but only one person actually had the bad belts and needed the new assembly.
I have a March 1st build, has correct assemblies.

bmkt

Reaction score
Should the Passenger seat, 2nd row and 3rd row seatbelt assemblies each have the icons on the plastic parts? Just checking before I have time to take it in.