Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Gas tank size?

Jdrn21

Reaction score
Internet says 18.8 gallons. Today I was on empty (fuel range 5 miles)and was only able to put 13 gallons of gas in my tank. That seems like a small tank for an SUV. My previous Chevy Avalanche had a 30-gallon tank. I looked in the manual and can't find where it lists the size. Does anyone have this information? I'm wondering if my sensors are faulty. If I could only put in 13 gallons and it's showing a full tank, then something is not right..... Was I really on empty?
Thanks

Last edited:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

chowfun27

Reaction score
Filled up for the first time yesterday and fuel gauge showed slightly over 1/4 tank and it took 13 gallons. Something could have been wrong with the pump?

DRK

Reaction score
It might be sensor or gauge problem.
I had a problem with the fuel gauge two months ago. The tank was about 2/3 full, but I wanted to fill it up in full before long road trip. I put it about 5 gallons, and parked on grocery parking lot which is hundreds feet away from the gas station. I realized the gauge showed only about 80% full, so back to the gas station and put more gas. It was overfilled. The gauge moved very slowly and it moved to the full after one hour driving. It has not happened again. I've had no issues with the gauge since then.

Last edited:

ga1322

Reaction score
When the empty light first comes on, you have at least 2 gallons left in the tank. Should fill to around 16

Buzmin

Reaction score
My Atlas will usually only take 13 when it shows very low, same sise tank 18.5, with the great milage you don't need a humongous tank like the chevy gas hog

Jdrn21

Reaction score
My Atlas will usually only take 13 when it shows very low, same sise tank 18.5, with the great milage you don't need a humongous tank like the chevy gas hog
Right. But I don't want to feel like I need to get gas when I actually have 5 gallons left in my tank. if my vehicle is showing that I have 5 miles of range left before my car is stalled out in the side of the road and I have 5 gallons just sitting in my tank, that's a problem

DRK

Reaction score
Right. But I don't want to feel like I need to get gas when I actually have 5 gallons left in my tank. if my vehicle is showing that I have 5 miles of range left before my car is stalled out in the side of the road and I have 5 gallons just sitting in my tank, that's a problem
I think the sensor or gauge had a problem.
I was driving to Las Vegas from Colorado. I remember my wife urged me to put in gas as the fuel range became under 100 miles.
I ended up putting in gas at about 30 miles fuel range. The receipt shows 17.05 gallon was put into my Telluride. (My wife keeps all receipts in the order of date.)

Lpolk40

Reaction score
Internet says 18.8 gallons. Today I was on empty (fuel range 5 miles)and was only able to put 13 gallons of gas in my tank. That seems like a small tank for an SUV. My previous Chevy Avalanche had a 30-gallon tank. I looked in the manual and can't find where it lists the size. Does anyone have this information? I'm wondering if my sensors are faulty. If I could only put in 13 gallons and it's showing a full tank, then something is not right..... Was I really on empty?
Thanks
I think that it's something wrong with the sensor too, when I pick it up from the dealer it read 416mpg, then when I went to fill it up it said 367mpg, and that was on full just like at the dealership.