Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

Harmon Kardon vs standard radio

syadasti

Reaction score
Cars.com notes it’s an inaccurate pseudo premium audio system. That’s typically for OEM:

“If you like it loud, a Harman Kardon 10-speaker premium audio system is standard on the SX trim, but I found it to be unimpressive and muddled at any volume level.”

Razorback

Reaction score
To accurately test this would you not need raw uncompressed audio files? I have been impressed with the system but I will say that its not the same system as listening to ELX system in the new Acura RDX, which I believe appeals to folks who are more audiophiles than myself. Overall, I believe the system sounds good but certainly not an expert.

Andymoney

Reaction score
Cars.com notes it’s an inaccurate pseudo premium audio system. That’s typically for OEM:

“If you like it loud, a Harman Kardon 10-speaker premium audio system is standard on the SX trim, but I found it to be unimpressive and muddled at any volume level.”
So I thought the same thing until I discovered the “Advanced setting” within the “Sound Settings”

Go to Setup- sound settings- advanced - and check the Quantim Logic and Bass Boost boxes. The sound is night and day difference, believe you me. Super happy with the SX audio package now.

syadasti

Reaction score
Processing features like bass boost make the sound more artificial and worse rather than more accurate though...

freddyvince

Reaction score
In my SX canadian Telluride the Harman Kardon sound system is a 12 speaker system not 10, and the sound was amazing.
1 speaker on the dash, 2 in each front door, 2 in each second row door, 2 speaker on third row ans one subwoofer in the rear.

392DCGC

Reaction score
So I thought the same thing until I discovered the “Advanced setting” within the “Sound Settings”

Go to Setup- sound settings- advanced - and check the Quantim Logic and Bass Boost boxes. The sound is night and day difference, believe you me. Super happy with the SX audio package now.
Interesting find! Apparently I didn't scour the menu enough. I wondered why the sound was like a concert hall/a bit of echo... this is probably why.

I think the SX sound system is pretty good overall. Could use better bass, but I'm happy with it. It does sound like there is a speaker in the dash as well, so advertised 10 speakers doesn't add up. Seems like 11 speakers + subwoofer - a pitifully small one.

emj123

Reaction score
I had a HK system in my Legacy that I traded in for my Telluride EX. While I'm a little bummed that the EX doesn't have a "premium" audio system, for a stock radio, it sounds pretty good. Better than most.

392DCGC

Reaction score
Any idea of the audio codec it uses for bluetooth? SBC? APTX? APTX HD? AAC?
If anyone here has a Google Pixel device, they can view the Bluetooth codec in use by viewing the Bluetooth settings for the car when it's connected.

itschris

Reaction score
The SX system is okay-ish. If you’re used to high end audio it’ll leave you a bit disappointed. It’s getting more difficult to upgrade new vehicles it seems. It’s my understanding that it’s not always possible just to swap speaker anymore. There’s all sort of relays or stuff like that that work with the head unit I guess so there’s some effort required.

I definitely want to replace some speakers and add a quality 8 and/or 10 inch sub with real power behind it. I think the hidden cargo department in back is perfect for amps, capacitors and what not. I’m anxious for a few brave pioneers to figure it all out. 😁

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.