No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Have you, or anyone you know, become sick with the Coronavirus?

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
Don't know anyone. But my company has me working from home until the end of April as a pre-caution. Ridiculous if you ask me. But oh well.

NewDad

Reaction score
I live in NYC and developed symptoms of COVID-19. I have already had the flu this season as well as a flu shot. I went to an urgent care clinic and was tested for Influenza A & B, the test was negative. The doctor tells me "you are probably fine and can go back to work on Tuesday" while standing in front of me with a full face shield, safety glasses, full scrubs, gloves and a full length apron. I asked about the test they told me I didn't meet the criteria for one. I had a fever (with naproxen) of 101.6, cough, aches, fatigue, runny nose and headaches. I also told them my wife is 36 weeks pregnant, I have parents over 60 and a healthy 96 year old grandfather. With my job I encounter people from all over the city day to day.

The scary thing is I found a reddit post from a similar clinic in a different borough with an almost identical story to mine, like it was read from a script. From what I've heard, unless you are symptomatic, returning from a level 2 or 3 country or have a confirmed interaction with a person who tested positive for COVID-19 and are being admitted to the hospital for severe symptoms you will not be tested. it is also very scary and negligent that they told me to return to work so soon as it would put my coworkers at risk, they don't know if i have it or not.

TheNip73

Reaction score
I live in NYC and developed symptoms of COVID-19. I have already had the flu this season as well as a flu shot. I went to an urgent care clinic and was tested for Influenza A & B, the test was negative. The doctor tells me "you are probably fine and can go back to work on Tuesday" while standing in front of me with a full face shield, safety glasses, full scrubs, gloves and a full length apron. I asked about the test they told me I didn't meet the criteria for one. I had a fever (with naproxen) of 101.6, cough, aches, fatigue, runny nose and headaches. I also told them my wife is 36 weeks pregnant, I have parents over 60 and a healthy 96 year old grandfather. With my job I encounter people from all over the city day to day.

The scary thing is I found a reddit post from a similar clinic in a different borough with an almost identical story to mine, like it was read from a script. From what I've heard, unless you are symptomatic, returning from a level 2 or 3 country or have a confirmed interaction with a person who tested positive for COVID-19 and are being admitted to the hospital for severe symptoms you will not be tested. it is also very scary and negligent that they told me to return to work so soon as it would put my coworkers at risk, they don't know if i have it or not.
Self quarantine is the solution here.

You can make that decision on your own without a doctor. If you don’t know you are free and clear, don’t go back to work. Many employers have a no work if symptomatic of any illness right now policy.

Last edited:

alexdrums

Reaction score

Please go to a reputable hospital and insist on being tested.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Political comments have always been removed from this community - and they will continue to be removed. That includes comments that "toe the line". Anything that criticizes one side or the other (or calls the leader of one side or the other an idiot, for example) is being removed. Play nice or don't play at all. We don't need the in-fighting. Leave that for Facebook.

alexdrums

Reaction score
The problem is that there are a limited number of tests available. Rationing is taking place. This is likely to be the new normal for a length of time.
There are more tests available now then there have ever been. One could also go directly to a lab like Quest or LabCorp, who are supposed to have them available. All I know is if I wanted to be tested I wouldn’t stopped by some dumb urgent care clinic. This really is the lowest rung on the totem pole of healthcare providers.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I am begging you guys, DO NOT GET A TEST UNLESS YOU ARE SICK ENOUGH TO BE ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL. Please. Don't. I know you want to know and have that itch scratched but getting tested at this point should only be fore those that are really sick.

And the reason why is not what you are thinking. The number of testing currently available enough for current and future needs. The problem with outbreaks and testing is false negatives and false positives.

I will give you a little story. A doctor in central africa was treating people with Ebola, after completely weeks of treatments he isolated himself, took an test for Ebola and came back negative. He them traveled from the remote villages he was working in and traveled to the a city of over 1 million people thinking that he was safe. He got to the city, noticed that he had a sore throat and isolated himself. 2 days later he was dying of Ebola. The test was a false positive. Before he died, he infected 2 other hospital workers despite them knowing what they where dealing with. The version he had was one that was semi airborne.

We came with in inches of a full blow Ebola pandemic because false results will lead humans to false behavior. If it was not for the test, he would have stayed in the camp for a full 2 weeks, would have come down with it there and nothing would have happened.

Avoid people, if you get sick stay home. If you are sick enough not to take care of yourself or life threatening CALL the hospital so you can be taken in.

Remember. Out of the 1,386,000,000 people in china only 86,000 got sick. Which means .0058% of the population got sick. Only .00022% died. The numbers are on yourside.

DJGBerg

Reaction score
I am begging you guys, DO NOT GET A TEST UNLESS YOU ARE SICK ENOUGH TO BE ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL. Please. Don't. I know you want to know and have that itch scratched but getting tested at this point should only be fore those that are really sick.

And the reason why is not what you are thinking. The number of testing currently available enough for current and future needs. The problem with outbreaks and testing is false negatives and false positives.

I will give you a little story. A doctor in central africa was treating people with Ebola, after completely weeks of treatments he isolated himself, took an test for Ebola and came back negative. He them traveled from the remote villages he was working in and traveled to the a city of over 1 million people thinking that he was safe. He got to the city, noticed that he had a sore throat and isolated himself. 2 days later he was dying of Ebola. The test was a false positive. Before he died, he infected 2 other hospital workers despite them knowing what they where dealing with. The version he had was one that was semi airborne.

We came with in inches of a full blow Ebola pandemic because false results will lead humans to false behavior. If it was not for the test, he would have stayed in the camp for a full 2 weeks, would have come down with it there and nothing would have happened.

Avoid people, if you get sick stay home. If you are sick enough not to take care of yourself or life threatening CALL the hospital so you can be taken in.

Remember. Out of the 1,386,000,000 people in china only 86,000 got sick. Which means .0058% of the population got sick. Only .00022% died. The numbers are on yourside.
Let’s run those same numbers for Italy, a country we can trust is likely more on the up and up:
Population of Italy 60,550,075
Number of cases 27,980
Number of deaths 2,158
.046 % got sick
.00035% died
...ummm, that’s a 7% death rate of those infected. Maybe getting tested isn’t such a bad idea?

critrider

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Let’s run those same numbers for Italy, a country we can trust is likely more on the up and up:
Number of cases 27,980
Number of deaths 2,158
.046 % got sick
.00035% died
...ummm, that’s a 7% death rate of those infected. Maybe getting tested isn’t such a bad idea?
South Korea is a better metric than Italy. Death rate less than 1%.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Number of cases 27,980
Number of deaths 2,158
.046 % got sick
.00035% died
Ok lets get you tested.

Ok. Done. Now you have to deal with 4 possible outcomes.

1.) You tested positive and it was false.
2.) You tested positive and it was true.
3.) You tested negative and it was false.
4.) You tested negative and it was true.

75% of the time it ends up being bad news for you. You still have to do what you are currently doing because you can not trust the test to be conclusive.

And the kick in the head, the test will not actually cure you are save your life. The problem with this little bug is that it can either be very little symptoms OR it can really hurt you.

Can test positive right when you get infected. You will still get sick at home, you will either then turn out ok or turn bad. And when it turns bad, you have call into the hospital.

So knowing does nothing. Literally nothing. You are not going to get special treatment, you are not going to directly to the hospital. They are going to tell you to stay home and see how it turns out.

So what is the upside to knowing? You get a chance which 3 of 4 is a bad out come for you. And you are not more likely to survive.

Now in saying all that, if you have underlying conditions that effect your immune system, then call your doctor and ask what they would recommend. If you are older then 65. STAY HOME.

The rest of you, stay home. Testing will just put more stress on the system and do nothing for you.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
South Korea is a better metric than Italy. Death rate less than 1%.
Death rate vs infected not vs population.

I suspect that this bug will come out to be about 4% death rate along the infected. Or about 4 times more deadly then the flu.

jdaake07

Reaction score
Death rate vs infected not vs population.

I suspect that this bug will come out to be about 4% death rate along the infected. Or about 4 times more deadly then the flu.
The flu does not have a 1% death rate, it is in fact less than .1%.
With more widespread testing, I imagine a death rate would actually trend down, rather than up. I would expect COVID-19 to have a death rate around 1-2% which is still significantly more deadly than a typical flu.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!