No soliciting permitted.

Headlight upgrade

mdtony

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi, I searched the forum and didn’t find anything.
The bottom 3 trims have a halogen low beam bulb in a projector beam. Does anyone know what is the bulb type? Also is there a separate low beam and high beam bulbs?

Will want to retrofit HID when i get my EX and color match the DRL.
If anyone could take a picture of the back of the headlight it would help me understand what I am in for.

Thank you

tallLeRoy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The owners manual lists a separate 60 watt HB3 lamp for both high and low beam. But the replacement diagram only shows one socket. HB3 is a single filament bulb.

Maybe they do some tricks inside the lamp housing to create high and low beam from one single filament bulb.

An alias for HB3 is 9005.

mdtony

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Yea many cars today will tilt the projector inside the headlight to turn from low beam to high beam using one bulb.
Well HB3 socket has a plastic base with a seal. In some case it acts as a dust cap for the headlight which makes it really easy to convert to HID without having to drill through the dust cap.

Yooshaw

Reaction score
They don't tilt the projector - assuming it's a standard bi-halogen projector - there's a solenoid inside the projector that raises a cut-off shield (low beams), then lowers the shield when high beams are activated.

manny3

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Make sure you search good before upgrading, the owners manual has a warning specifically about adding HID on halogen headlamps, say you might get some other issues electronically, and yes I done it on other cars just saying make sure before you buy anything that they have done the R&D before selling you anything.

Mr_Awesome

Reaction score
Just to put another option out there for people that do not want try to change to HID or LED. There are replacement Halogen bulbs that may meet your needs. I purchased the Philips Diamond Vision HB3 / 9005 bulbs. They look a lot better than stock.
car headlight bulb 9005DVB1
Type of lamp: HB3
Pack of: 1, 12.8 V , 65 W 2059 2061

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_210124.jpg
    IMG_20190628_210124.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 24

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to put another option out there for people that do not want try to change to HID or LED. There are replacement Halogen bulbs that may meet your needs. I purchased the Philips Diamond Vision HB3 / 9005 bulbs. They look a lot better than stock.
Pack of: 1, 12.8 V , 65 W View attachment 2059 View attachment 2061
Interesting. Any change in performance or just color temp? Looks good either way.

515EX

Reaction score
Pack of: 1, 12.8 V , 65 W View attachment 2059 View attachment 2061

THIS! Is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thank you! I do have similar questions as Buckeye had though. Have you noticed any difference in performance with these? I mainly just want to match the DRLs but don’t want to deal with the trial/error of the LED swap.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've used them in other vehicles that I have had. They closely match the DRL's, but these have a much shorter life than the standard halogens. If you use your headlights a lot, plan on replacing one every few months or so.

JonFar111

Reaction score
I've used them in other vehicles that I have had. They closely match the DRL's, but these have a much shorter life than the standard halogens. If you use your headlights a lot, plan on replacing one every few months or so.
All of the reviews indicate these whiter HB3/9005 halogen bulbs have short lifespans. $40/year (or more often) seems a bit much. I'd be much more interested in whether switching to LED bulbs really causes any other electrical issues or if that's just Kia bunk...

ga1322

Reaction score
All of the reviews indicate these whiter HB3/9005 halogen bulbs have short lifespans. $40/year (or more often) seems a bit much. I'd be much more interested in whether switching to LED bulbs really causes any other electrical issues or if that's just Kia bunk...
Replaced all my lights with LEDs and have had no problems

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Yea, switched my Sorento to all LED's including low and high beam headlights with no problems. Just look for ones that say error free or works with CANBUS and you'll be fine.

radcop4u

Reaction score
Yea, switched my Sorento to all LED's including low and high beam headlights with no problems. Just look for ones that say error free or works with CANBUS and you'll be fine.
so you have had no issues?? with just changing out the bulbs?? can you post what type you used for change out and where you purchased them??

Huey3149

Reaction score
Hi, I searched the forum and didn’t find anything.
The bottom 3 trims have a halogen low beam bulb in a projector beam. Does anyone know what is the bulb type? Also is there a separate low beam and high beam bulbs?

Will want to retrofit HID when i get my EX and color match the DRL.
If anyone could take a picture of the back of the headlight it would help me understand what I am in for.

Thank you

Huey3149

Reaction score
I just upgraded my headlights from the Sylvania 9005 bulbs to the Sylvania 9005 Silver Star Ultra. Big difference and it took 5 minutes. Here is a chart that shows the difference

Attachments

• Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.jpg
    Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 106

JonFar111

Reaction score
I just upgraded my headlights from the Sylvania 9005 bulbs to the Sylvania 9005 Silver Star Ultra. Big difference and it took 5 minutes. Here is a chart that shows the difference
I did the halogen upgrade too. However, they are still miles away from the intensity and light-spread quality my other vehicles' Xenon HIDs. So I'm installing HID s with a kit that includes the appropriate ballasts...

Huey3149

Reaction score
I did the halogen upgrade too. However, they are still miles away from the intensity and light-spread quality my other vehicles' Xenon HIDs. So I'm installing HID s with a kit that includes the appropriate ballasts...
Please post the part numbers and price. I installed the Sylvania Silver Star Halogen Headlights (top picture) the bottom is what the KIA installs in the vehicle.

Attachments

• Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.jpg
    Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 49

teky929rr

Reaction score

Huey can you please post a picture of you lights please, thanks. Is there a DIY? I’m sure it’s super simple but hey it never hurts 😀

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Huey3149

Reaction score
Huey can you please post a picture of you lights please, thanks. Is there a DIY? I’m sure it’s super simple but hey it never hurts 😀
1. Remove the dust cover by turning it counter clockwise
2. Remove the bulb by turning it counter clockwise
3. Unplug the old bulb. DO NO TOUCH THE GLASS ON THE BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS.
4. Plug the new bulb into the wiring. Do not touch the glass part of the bulb.
5. Put the bulb back in the housing and turn it clockwise
6. Put the dust cover back on by turning it clockwise.
7. The chart above shows the before and after pictures.

The bulb installed by KIA is the standard bulb, bottom picture. I installed the bulb in the top picture. The Silver Star Ultra. BIG difference at night.

Tellurideorpalisade

Reaction score
I am upgrading my headlights on my GMC Terrain, and luckily some of the stuff transfers to the Telluride so I will save my old bulbs to swap out later.

I got for the dome lights and my tag/reverse lights the Sylvania ZEVO Led which are 6000k (really bright white, no cheap blue like cheaper versions)

Backup lights should be the same as my Terrain 921 size

Tag Size should be 2825, same as my Terrain.

As for the headlights, I liked the reviews on the Supernova v4 lights, and they are very low profile and are 6000k which should be nice, but I haven't tried them yet. My high beams are 9005 so those would transfer nicely to the Telluride if I am not mistaken.

Supernova also makes a less bright light but that requires almost no mods called perfect fit. I am not sure if they are as nice, never seen either one in person but might be a good option for those that want the balance of plug and play like the whiter halogens and the longevity of LED lights.

I can't find the link for the perfect fit

Either way watch videos and see the beam pattern. Hope this info helps.