No soliciting permitted.

Headlights - Halogen Replacement Bulbs

IndyTell

Reaction score
I've read several posts suggesting that Sylvania SilverStar (and SilverStar Ultra) are a good replacement option for brighter, whiter light. Does anybody know the part number for either one? I've read that the standard OEM bulb is a 9005 / HB3 but I can't find a compatible SilverStar or SilverStar Ultra bulb online.

I don't have the skill set to make the switch to LED or Xenon... thanks in advance for part numbers and/or links.

IndyTell

Reaction score
Thanks — but the page for this bulb on Amazon says “this does not fit”. I’m seeing the same message on other sites too:

1635705771766.png
…have you used this particular bulb? Am wondering if Amazon’s fitment guide is incorrect…

Last edited:

Katy_Tell

Reaction score
Thanks — but the page for this bulb on Amazon says “this does not fit”. I’m seeing the same message on other sites too:

View attachment 23558
…have you used this particular bulb? Am wondering if Amazon’s fitment guide is incorrect…
I bought a Philips brand HID, and got the same message. But, mine fits and has worked perfectly for the past 11 months.

PittPa

Reaction score
If you can change a halogen bulb, you can make it an led. They are direct replacement.

Pappy

Reaction score
If it’s a 9005 bulb, It will fit. A few web sites still haven’t updated their filters for the Telluride and they’ll show items as a “no fit.”
+1 on trying LED replacement. Yes, they’ll be the slightest flicker when the engine restarts after a stop, but the bulbs swap in just like the halogens and you’ll be very happy with the brighter output.

IndyTell

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies — I’ll assume the 9005 bulb size will work, regardless of what I see online.

I’ve been tempted by LEDs, but I’ve read differing opinions. I thought the following article was really good… seems LEDs can be significantly brighter, but may not throw as far and tend to have a sharper cutoff.

For those who swapped for LEDs, do you agree?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Pappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies — I’ll assume the 9005 bulb size will work, regardless of what I see online.

I’ve been tempted by LEDs, but I’ve read differing opinions. I thought the following article was really good… seems LEDs can be significantly brighter, but may not throw as far and tend to have a sharper cutoff.

For those who swapped for LEDs, do you agree?

That article and video are six years old. LED bulbs have come a long way since then, in both design and efficiency.

I would definitely recommend you give LEDs a try. There are a few good threads on this forum with pictures and recommendations.

Thread 'Headlight Led Upgrade'

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The 9005 bulb is a single filament bulb and used in the halogen projector housing of the Telluride as both regular and high beams because when you put on the high beams a shutter moves out of the way to project more light. I agree with the previous post that a 6 year old article on the topic is likely obsolete. LED technology has moved lightning fast when comparing the aftermarket parts that have come out way faster than automobile regulations can keep up. With that said, I believe that not all LED retrofit bulbs are equal. Some LEDs work better in different vehicles simply because of the chip size and location on the area known as the blade where it sits in the housing to mimic what would have reflected from a Halogen. Some also have a thinner blade or use a wedge design to lessen the chance of dark spots. Size-wise, from what I have read 9005 and HB3 are the same thing.

I think there are three basic halogen projector housing styles:
1. A housing designed for a single filament in one halogen bulb for low and regular beam then uses a shutter and mirrors to reflect more light when you want high beams. (I think this is the style for the Telluride LX, S, EX non Premium Pkg.)
2. A housing that uses two different projectors and has the mirrors reflecting more light from halogen bulbs when you switch on high beam.
3. A housing that uses a dual filament in one halogen bulb for low, regular and high beam.

(The Telluride EX Premium and SX use an LED two projector housing with amber DRLs and this housing does not have replaceable bulbs.)

I have tested several halogen bulbs and I currently have the Twelvolt LEDs. I would have no problem going back to halogen as long as it isn’t the Kia OEM bulb. The main thing I have concluded is that < $5 bulb that came with the vehicle is absolutely horrible to drive at night. I haven't measured it but I think the OEM bulb has somewhere around a 3,000K color temp and a very low lumen rating (maybe 1500 lumens?) which accounts for the low luminance and low beam performance. So the bar is pretty low and anything you buy off the shelf may be an improvement.

If you have the halogen housing and you are worried about the NHTSA ratings for the Telluride because of the headlights, remember that they must conduct their tests using what comes from the factory. In my opinion, spend $30 or more on better 9005 bulbs (halogen or LED retrofit) and you will feel much better driving at night. I would personally aim for a color temperature at least 4,000K but no more than 6,000K and an effective luminance of around 1,500 lumens for Halogen, around 3,500 lumens for HID, and more than 5,000 lumens effectively focal for an LED retrofit. I think you can get away with the lower lumens with Halogen and HID because the entire bulb lights up and reflects as designed for the housing. With LEDs you have to brighten more because you have those little chips that are trying to mimic an entire bulb glass effect. Also remember if you get too high for lumen rating on an LED retrofit (or HID) you risk glare of objects in front of you and blinding oncoming drivers because of the height of an SUV housing.

Last edited:

IndyTell

Reaction score
That article and video are six years old. LED bulbs have come a long way since then, in both design and efficiency.

I would definitely recommend you give LEDs a try. There are a few good threads on this forum with pictures and recommendations.

Thread 'Headlight Led Upgrade'

A fair point. Thanks for the thread link.

IndyTell

Reaction score
The 9005 bulb is a single filament bulb and used in the halogen projector housing of the Telluride as both regular and high beams because when you put on the high beams a shutter moves out of the way to project more light. I agree with the previous post that a 6 year old article on the topic is likely obsolete. LED technology has moved lightning fast when comparing the aftermarket parts that have come out way faster than automobile regulations can keep up. With that said, I believe that not all LED retrofit bulbs are equal. Some LEDs work better in different vehicles simply because of the chip size and location on the area known as the blade where it sits in the housing to mimic what would have reflected from a Halogen. Some also have a thinner blade or use a wedge design to lessen the chance of dark spots. Size-wise, from what I have read 9005 and HB3 are the same thing.

I think there are three basic halogen projector housing styles:
1. A housing designed for a single filament in one halogen bulb for low and regular beam then uses a shutter and mirrors to reflect more light when you want high beams. (I think this is the style for the Telluride LX, S, EX non Premium Pkg.)
2. A housing that uses two different projectors and has the mirrors reflecting more light from halogen bulbs when you switch on high beam.
3. A housing that uses a dual filament in one halogen bulb for low, regular and high beam.

(The Telluride EX Premium and SX use an LED two projector housing with amber DRLs and this housing does not have replaceable bulbs.)

I have tested several halogen bulbs and I currently have the Twelvolt LEDs. I would have no problem going back to halogen as long as it isn’t the Kia OEM bulb. The main thing I have concluded is that < $5 bulb that came with the vehicle is absolutely horrible to drive at night. I haven't measured it but I think the OEM bulb has somewhere around a 3,000K color temp and a very low lumen rating (maybe 1500 lumens?) which accounts for the low luminance and low beam performance. So the bar is pretty low and anything you buy off the shelf may be an improvement.

If you have the halogen housing and you are worried about the NHTSA ratings for the Telluride because of the headlights, remember that they must conduct their tests using what comes from the factory. In my opinion, spend $30 or more on better 9005 bulbs (halogen or LED retrofit) and you will feel much better driving at night. I would personally aim for a color temperature at least 4,000K but no more than 6,000K and an effective luminance of around 1,500 lumens for Halogen, around 3,500 lumens for HID, and more than 5,000 lumens effectively focal for an LED retrofit. I think you can get away with the lower lumens with Halogen and HID because the entire bulb lights up and reflects as designed for the housing. With LEDs you have to brighten more because you have those little chips that are trying to mimic an entire bulb glass effect. Also remember if you get too high for lumen rating on an LED retrofit (or HID) you risk glare of objects in front of you and blinding oncoming drivers because of the height of an SUV housing.

Great info. Saved me hours of online research!

Have to say I'm warming up to the idea of LED conversion. Sylvania's SilverStar Ultra is a straightforward bulb swap and it's 4100k, but I've read more than a few complaints about longevity (the lack thereof). Not sure I want to replace the bulbs every 6 months.

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have put in LED bulbs in my EX, much brighter and zero problems or issues for almost a year now. Best $40 I have spent on the car. Night and day difference compared to the halogen.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Great info. Saved me hours of online research!

Have to say I'm warming up to the idea of LED conversion. Sylvania's SilverStar Ultra is a straightforward bulb swap and it's 4100k, but I've read more than a few complaints about longevity (the lack thereof). Not sure I want to replace the bulbs every 6 months.
That's definitely the main benefit for me for going LED retrofit. Most people replace their halogen bulbs when they die out completely every couple years. But I read that they dim over time. So while they are cheap you have to replace in pairs and as they age they don't perform as well. Not the case with LEDs that should last a long time and you shouldn't see a drop in performance. I just have to live with a small flicker when the auto stop/start kicks on.

lamduhh

Reaction score
LASFIT HB3(9005) direct replacement, brighter and matches the LED running ring as well. cleaner look

GreenFluorite

Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues with the legalities of installing the Lasfits in place of the halogen bulbs? My wife reported poor vision with the stock bulbs on her new S trim and I purchased the $100 Lasfit kit before learning that they're not road legal. Now we're both hesitant to install them out of fear of getting ticketed.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues with the legalities of installing the Lasfits in place of the halogen bulbs? My wife reported poor vision with the stock bulbs on her new S trim and I purchased the $100 Lasfit kit before learning that they're not road legal. Now we're both hesitant to install them out of fear of getting ticketed.

Has someone told you that your state's DOT identified LED retrofit bulbs in a halogen projector housing as not road legal? Lots of people claim that LED retrofit bulbs in projector housings are not legal. I would argue that some states' DOT specify Intensity, Brightness and Color, not bulb type. If you have LED retrofit bulbs that put off a white light that provides better visibility without blinding someone, there's nothing illegal that would warrant a citation. One of the problems is that most legal state and federal regulations are written for halogen output which is measured in candelas, but LEDs are measured in lumens and there is no direct translation for an aftermarket bulb and how it works in any particular housing is different. Even if you have a lumen rating on an LED or HID retrofit bulb, once it goes into a projector headlight housing that was designed for a halogen bulb, you have to account for effective lumen rating because the positioning of the chip may not get the full lumen rating (or it could over produce glare). Some states have rules that stipulate your car must simply have headlights and avoids the discussion about the intensity specifics. For example, my state describes road lights as not higher than 42 inches of the ground and a beam projection of 75 feet ahead and sufficiently light a highway distance of 200 feet ahead of the vehicle to make a person discernable at 75 feet ahead. My factory OEM Tellurides simply meet that standard. It goes on to say that they should not "glare or dazzle" the persons in front of the vehicle at 500ft. I'm trying to figure out how a police officer would be able to issue a citation until the laws get more clear and they carry a light meter, or your vehicle's yearly inspection has a light meter reading requirement. I think this is why some stores advertise their LED bulbs as offroad use, because the same LED or HID might result in different illumination, but a Halogen bulb in a projector housing design for halogen bulbs might be better but still within a measurable range from factory.

I was hopeful that by the IIHS Safety ratings adding headlight performance to their testing would help to standardize by measuring lux, which is the illuminance measured on a surfaced at a given distance. But I think while well intended, it's only confused things because they tell us that they only rate what comes from the factory offer no guidance if you spend $30+ on better bulbs.

"Headlights are tested as received from the dealer. Although many headlight problems could be resolved by adjusting the aim of the lamps, IIHS doesn't change headlight aim. Few vehicle owners adjust the vertical aim of their headlights, so leaving the aim the way it was set at the factory makes the testing more realistic." (reference) So basically they are saying that if the halogen based headlight they tested on the Telluride they got from Kia had been adjusted, it might have done better of the testing. So the results are not just about technical performance because they don't account for possible factory assembly and quality inspection tolerances.

In my experience how the bulb performs in a particular housing makes all the difference.

Based on what I have read, California may be one of the few states where they might be illegal. I think CA headlight laws stipulated that the bulb can't be more than 2513 lumens. The LasFits are rated at 3000LM, so if you just go by that, they aren't legal. However, in order to get a citation in California the police officer would have to determine that you have LasFits and be able to tell with the naked eye that you are at 3000LM instead of 2513LM. But if CA law accounts for effective lumen rating the number might be legal? I also read that CA law might have changed in 2020 to 45LM per Watt. So if you go by that, the LasFit bulbs are 30W, so that would mean that they can't exceed 1350LM? If I lived in CA I would stay away from LEDs and just stick to Halogens. Here's where I think CA's laws go off the rails, you can't exceed a height of 54 inches off the ground. If I were in my car and a truck in oncoming traffic had lights at any intensity in between 42 to 54 inches it might be hard to not have glare since that's pretty much direct view of the windshield for a driver in a typical sedan.

If you need a great reference site, check out this webpage: BulbFacts | Compare the best headlight bulbs all in one place!

Last edited:

GreenFluorite

Reaction score
I'm going off the fine-print warning at the bottom of the Lasfit product page:

HID and LED bulbs are street legal in the USA for Fog Light use only. Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108 and not street legal in the USA for Headlights. Legal for off-road use in Snowmobile and ATV headlights and off-road racing use only auxiliary or forward lighting. International street legality varies by country. For detailed clarification on street use, CLICK HERE.
Note: This usage regulation is not unique to Lasfit bulbs. All LED and HID bulbs from all other brands, regardless of marketing claims, are prohibited from street use in halogen headlights in the USA.

DOT/SAE/FVMSS108: NO (NOT STREET LEGAL IN HEADLIGHTS IN USA)
HOMOLOGATION ECE: NO

The "CLICK HERE" link basically says that they can only sell them to people using them in off-street vehicles, and the purchase of them is the buyer's statement that they won't be used on public streets.

Last edited:

Tellthemride

Reaction score

HID and LED bulbs are street legal in the USA for Fog Light use only. Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108 and not street legal in the USA for Headlights. Legal for off-road use in Snowmobile and ATV headlights and off-road racing use only auxiliary or forward lighting. International street legality varies by country. For detailed clarification on street use, CLICK HERE.
Note: This usage regulation is not unique to Lasfit bulbs. All LED and HID bulbs from all other brands, regardless of marketing claims, are prohibited from street use in halogen headlights in the USA.

The "CLICK HERE" link basically says that they can only sell them to people using them in off-street vehicles, and the purchase of them is the buyer's statement that they won't be used on public streets.
Will police pull you over for modified headlights? No, highly unlikely.

Will you fail your vehicle state inspection sticker? Unlikely, but they would be the official voice to say if they are or are not allowed in your area.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Yup, I'm familiar with FMVSS108. I think LasFit has to put that on their package. I'm trying to understand if everyone must abide by those regulations, how is any auto manufacturer allowed to deliver LED headlights? By those definitions any Xenon HID headlights are illegal, but some vehicles offer them from the factory. I think the answer might be somewhere in interpreting this website: Federal Regulation of Aftermarket Parts
"States and local jurisdictions are free to enact equipment regulations that are identical to NHTSA standards or, in the absence of a federal rule, establish their own laws and regulations. Frequent examples of separate state or local standards are laws covering auxiliary lighting equipment such as fog lamps, sound levels for exhaust and stereo systems, bumper/frame height restrictions and window tinting transmittance parameters. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to be aware of federal, state and local laws and regulations in order to meet all legal requirements."

If LED and HID technology (or all technology for that matter) were capped at the definitions written in a federal regulation in 2004 and requires Congress to approve changes, very little would change in terms of technology. Given that Kia has to self-report that it meets all legal requirements (reference), Kia probably had the resources to apply for a waiver where a bulb manufacturer while trying to fix a problem for the general public with modern technology would not have the resources to apply for such a waiver, so it's just easier to say use them only for off-street use. I just checked my Telluride halogen headlight projector and DRL housing and I can't find the letters "DOT" anywhere, so I wonder if they even bother to mention if they are compliant with FMVSS108 or not anymore. I did find "SAE" and it was my understanding that Society Automation Engineers (SAE) approval still doesn't directly imply DOT approval.

Consider that it's not really hard in many states to build your own street legal vehicle. In order to get a title and pass a DMV inspection in most states on a kit car or homemade vehicle I don't know that I have seen they will make you abide by FMVSS108 as part of the build process.

Again, I think it's unlikely that in 2021 a police officer would issue a citation if you pass yearly vehicle inspection. It's also illegal to exceed the speed limit, but if I tried to stay at the speed limit on the highway, I'd probably be a safety hazard to those around me.

Last edited:
nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners