No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Heat not staying hot at idle

Joegolf

Reaction score
I have noticed that when the car is idling the heat is warm at best. We have had the car since March but didn’t notice this issue until recently. Anybody else having this issue? We live in Massachusetts and it really Hasn't been that cold yet.

hammick

Reaction score
I have noticed that when the car is idling the heat is warm at best. We have had the car since March but didn’t notice this issue until recently. Anybody else having this issue? We live in Massachusetts and it really Hasn't been that cold yet.
I'm leaving tomorrow on a long trip to MT. I'll do some idling at rest stops and gas stations and get back to you. I have an SX with the auto climate.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Is the engine shutting off with the auto off feature? That will cause the heat to cool down. :rolleyes:. Worse feature of all time.

Joegolf

Reaction score
No, I disable the auto off feature.

joeyvans

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I am having this issue as well. I have finally noticed this, since the high temp yesterday was 0*F. Noticed it again this morning. I hadn't been disabling auto-off, but the amber colored 'A' shows up on the dash, which means the auto-off isn't shutting the engine down at idle anyways. Tach at 600... engine on.... heat still shuts off at a stop. So, I tested it after deactivating the auto-off feature. Same thing..... the heat still shuts off.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but I feel like it needs to be rectified by Kia. It was -17*F this morning, so when the heat shuts off.... it is very noticeable.

Or, maybe there is a computer setting that the user can change? I haven't looked at the menus yet.

Iain

Reaction score
I am having this issue as well. I have finally noticed this, since the high temp yesterday was 0*F. Noticed it again this morning. I hadn't been disabling auto-off, but the amber colored 'A' shows up on the dash, which means the auto-off isn't shutting the engine down at idle anyways. Tach at 600... engine on.... heat still shuts off at a stop. So, I tested it after deactivating the auto-off feature. Same thing..... the heat still shuts off.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but I feel like it needs to be rectified by Kia. It was -17*F this morning, so when the heat shuts off.... it is very noticeable.

Or, maybe there is a computer setting that the user can change? I haven't looked at the menus yet.

Iain

Reaction score
Our telluride is in the shop for this very issue little to no heat they thought it was the heater core replaced it with no improvement so its back there again for some more trial and error repairs we shall see but obviously this is a common issue already .

joeyvans

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I wonder if it has something to do with what drive mode you are in. A dealer rep said that eco mode will cut off the compressor at idle if running AC or heat. I usually drive in Smart mode, but I think that can have some eco tendencies based on your driving habits. Thinking comfort mode might solve this issue???