Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Hello fellow future and current telluride owners! I'm joining the club! Ordered a Telluride SX

emag1c

Reaction score
Hi all! After literally months of research and test drives I went ahead and ordered a fully loaded telluride in snow white pearl and w/ black nappa leather interior. Will take delivery in about 1 week according to my dealer! Super excited.

I wanted to share my story for those still on the fence and explain what swayed me:

My needs where:
  • Cargo space. I do a fair amount of home depot runs for home improvement projects plus camping and mountain biking
  • Comfort. I live in Nashville, TN and realistically I am going to be sitting on traffic during my commute more often then not so interior comfort and convenience is a huge deal.
  • AWD or 4x4. Winter here isn't too bad but it can get slippery so AWD or 4x4 is important. Plus occasional mild offroading for camping / biking trips.
I initially I looked at full sized trucks and test drove a few, but realized that for my needs, it was overkill, and having an enclosed space would be better for my needs so an SUV / CUV might make more sense. Trucks are everywhere here in TN but I rarely see a full bed on the highway... and my use would be similar, I'd only occasionally use the bed, but commuting it would just be hauling air. If I really need a half ton for something I can just rent from home depot, and I have no towing needs. Also a big SUV means I can carry longer items than a 5' something bed could.

So I starter looking and test driving mid size suvs. I test drove:
  • Honda pilot and the Honda passport. What I liked: don't really need a third row, so the packaging of passport with lots of cargo room and great AWD performance with true torque vectoring which you really felt when throwing it around corners. What I didn't: pilot suspension felt mushy and the passport's felt really stiff. The interior is ok but the seats weren't that comfortable (I'm 6' 1) and infotainment lacks redundant hard buttons and controls.
  • Mazda CX9. What I liked: best driving Dynamics of any of the cars I test drove, decent comfort, and a sexy exterior. What I didn't: sexy exterior means less cargo room. Clunky infotainment. Engine power drops off quickly after hitting 30-40 mph kind of like a deisle.
  • Subaru ascent: this one surprised me, felt upscale inside with lots of room. Was comfortable to drive and ride felt like it was in the sweet spot: not too harsh but stiff enough to corner decently and not too soft but soaked up bumps well. What I didn't like: infotainment system wasn't the best. My tester had some rattles that were a bit of a concern. Something about the looks rubs me the wrong way... looks very blah and forgettable, and soccer mom-ish (not that it's bad thing, just not for me). This was a close second to the telluride.
  • Tahoe: nope. Dated interior, soft floaty, numb truck like ride, I made my mind up about this one the moment I stepped into it.
  • Explorer: same as Tahoe, just didn't measure up to the others I drove in any category that mattered to me.
  • 4 runner. Lots of friends pointed me to the 4 runner but put simply I didn't even test drive it, I sat in one but immediatly made up my mind as seats were uncomfortable, it was very dated and old school, and cargo area was smaller than I expected. I don't need crazy hard core off-road performance and I get the appeal of an old school overlanding ready vehicle with a proven reliable powertrain but not for me.
What about the 2020 explorer?
I actually was waiting for this announcement before I deciding and I was dissatisfied with what I saw. The rwd platform and hybrid option was interesting to me but the interior looks god awful and the cost was a bit too high for the upper trims with features I wanted... styling was also a miss imho.

What about the Hyundai pallasaid?
I considered waiting for this one to test drive but I decided that I much preferred the look inside and out of the telluride.

What sold me on the telluride:
  • Holy comfort batman! With the prestige package the front seats are the most comfortable in the segment hands down. The suspension felt perfectly tuned and didn't have any issues on some of the rough patches in the terribly maintained roads here in Nashville.
  • Tech goodies: lane keep and radar cruise, 360 camera, lane blindspot camera in gauge cluster, great sound system on SX package. Redudant hard buttons for touchscreen ( the massive touch screen! ).
  • Tons of cargo space! I'll spend most of the time with the 3rd row folded down which exposes a lot of space to haul w/e I need. Also as an emergency 3rd row for when friends are in town is actually usable.
  • It looks fantastic. :) I'm planning on swapping the badges to the Korean k badges and debadging everything else. Can't wait to confuse people when they see it.
  • AWD performance felt good. Corning was great and could feel torque going to the back. Engine isn't going to win any drag races but felt adaquit for my needs. It's a big SUV if you want something fast get a sports car... Not sure why so many are hung up on the engine power... Most of us will leave our cars on eco mode and cruise on the highway, no one taking a 400hp luxury suv to track days that I know of.
Anyways just wanted to share my story and am very very happy with my choice! I'll be back with impressions, issues and other info once I take delivery!

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi all! After literally months of research and test drives I went ahead and ordered a fully loaded telluride in snow white pearl and w/ black nappa leather interior. Will take delivery in about 1 week according to my dealer! Super excited.

I wanted to share my story for those still on the fence and explain what swayed me:

My needs where:
  • Cargo space. I do a fair amount of home depot runs for home improvement projects plus camping and mountain biking
  • Comfort. I live in Nashville, TN and realistically I am going to be sitting on traffic during my commute more often then not so interior comfort and convenience is a huge deal.
  • AWD or 4x4. Winter here isn't too bad but it can get slippery so AWD or 4x4 is important. Plus occasional mild offroading for camping / biking trips.
I initially I looked at full sized trucks and test drove a few, but realized that for my needs, it was overkill, and having an enclosed space would be better for my needs so an SUV / CUV might make more sense. Trucks are everywhere here in TN but I rarely see a full bed on the highway... and my use would be similar, I'd only occasionally use the bed, but commuting it would just be hauling air. If I really need a half ton for something I can just rent from home depot, and I have no towing needs. Also a big SUV means I can carry longer items than a 5' something bed could.

• Honda pilot and the Honda passport. What I liked: don't really need a third row, so the packaging of passport with lots of cargo room and great AWD performance with true torque vectoring which you really felt when throwing it around corners. What I didn't: pilot suspension felt mushy and the passport's felt really stiff. The interior is ok but the seats weren't that comfortable (I'm 6' 1) and infotainment lacks redundant hard buttons and controls.
  • Mazda CX9. What I liked: best driving Dynamics of any of the cars I test drove, decent comfort, and a sexy exterior. What I didn't: sexy exterior means less cargo room. Clunky infotainment. Engine power drops off quickly after hitting 30-40 mph kind of like a deisle.
  • Subaru ascent: this one surprised me, felt upscale inside with lots of room. Was comfortable to drive and ride felt like it was in the sweet spot: not too harsh but stiff enough to corner decently and not too soft but soaked up bumps well. What I didn't like: infotainment system wasn't the best. My tester had some rattles that were a bit of a concern. Something about the looks rubs me the wrong way... looks very blah and forgettable, and soccer mom-ish (not that it's bad thing, just not for me). This was a close second to the telluride.
  • Tahoe: nope. Dated interior, soft floaty, numb truck like ride, I made my mind up about this one the moment I stepped into it.
  • Explorer: same as Tahoe, just didn't measure up to the others I drove in any category that mattered to me.
  • 4 runner. Lots of friends pointed me to the 4 runner but put simply I didn't even test drive it, I sat in one but immediatly made up my mind as seats were uncomfortable, it was very dated and old school, and cargo area was smaller than I expected. I don't need crazy hard core off-road performance and I get the appeal of an old school overlanding ready vehicle with a proven reliable powertrain but not for me.
I actually was waiting for this announcement before I deciding and I was dissatisfied with what I saw. The rwd platform and hybrid option was interesting to me but the interior looks god awful and the cost was a bit too high for the upper trims with features I wanted... styling was also a miss imho.

I considered waiting for this one to test drive but I decided that I much preferred the look inside and out of the telluride.

• Holy comfort batman! With the prestige package the front seats are the most comfortable in the segment hands down. The suspension felt perfectly tuned and didn't have any issues on some of the rough patches in the terribly maintained roads here in Nashville.
  • Tech goodies: lane keep and radar cruise, 360 camera, lane blindspot camera in gauge cluster, great sound system on SX package. Redudant hard buttons for touchscreen ( the massive touch screen! ).
  • Tons of cargo space! I'll spend most of the time with the 3rd row folded down which exposes a lot of space to haul w/e I need. Also as an emergency 3rd row for when friends are in town is actually usable.
  • It looks fantastic. :) I'm planning on swapping the badges to the Korean k badges and debadging everything else. Can't wait to confuse people when they see it.
  • AWD performance felt good. Corning was great and could feel torque going to the back. Engine isn't going to win any drag races but felt adaquit for my needs. It's a big SUV if you want something fast get a sports car... Not sure why so many are hung up on the engine power... Most of us will leave our cars on eco mode and cruise on the highway, no one taking a 400hp luxury suv to track days that I know of.
Anyways just wanted to share my story and am very very happy with my choice! I'll be back with impressions, issues and other info once I take delivery!
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'll have to come back to read this later! Looks like a great read...

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

My needs where:

Thank you very much... One of the most important things for me is comfort. My wife is dealing with a nerve issue and it's very important to have a vehicle with a smooth ride - as bumps seem to aggravate the condition...

emag1c

Reaction score
Thank you very much... One of the most important things for me is comfort. My wife is dealing with a nerve issue and it's very important to have a vehicle with a smooth ride - as bumps seem to aggravate the condition...
The telluride has a very comfortable ride especially with the prestige package. The only down side is that the lumbar support is only 2 way not 4 way... If it's a back issue that may be important. Im 6' 1" and it felt a little low for me but I don't really need or use it.

Also note that 20" rims make for a stiffer ride, the 18s on the other trim levels would be a slightly more plush ride. I am going to likely swap for some 18s on the sx eventually and test oversized tires once I measure all the clearances. Larger sidewall tires help a lot with harshness of road imperfections... SUV/CUVs like this aren't meant to be canyon carvers imho, so I never understood the larger rims on upper trims of large SUVs.

Kentellu

Reaction score
The telluride has a very comfortable ride especially with the prestige package. The only down side is that the lumbar support is only 2 way not 4 way... If it's a back issue that may be important. Im 6' 1" and it felt a little low for me but I don't really need or use it.

Also note that 20" rims make for a stiffer ride, the 18s on the other trim levels would be a slightly more plush ride. I am going to likely swap for some 18s on the sx eventually and test oversized tires once I measure all the clearances. Larger sidewall tires help a lot with harshness of road imperfections... SUV/CUVs like this aren't meant to be canyon carvers imho, so I never understood the larger rims on upper trims of large SUVs.
I plan to swap out the 20s for the 18s also. I was wondering if you had a chance to compare the ride difference between the two. I'm hoping the circumference of the 20s is the same as the 18s so the swap wouldn't affect any changes.

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
OP did a better job (and more succinctly) in doing a comparison (test) than many of the auto pubs.

felixvt

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We were about to sign for a Grand Cherokee, saw the Telluride ad, my wife said “what about those”?, I thought,Tahoe sized and 50 grand, we now own a moss green s, couldn’t be more pleased!