Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Hi, considering buying an SX.

Burghfan

Reaction score
Hi, glad I found you guys. I am considering purchasing an SX model. I am coming off of a Honda pilot which I hate because it is soooo boring after giving up my Audi Q5 to get more room. I sat in one when they first came out and loved everything but the stitching quality on the interior. I also got a shady vibe from the dealership. I'm mainly curious what problems anyone has had with it being a first year run. I do 20k miles per year easily and will be out of warranty in 3 years. How are they holding up? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Tompa

Reaction score
Hi, glad I found you guys. I am considering purchasing an SX model. I am coming off of a Honda pilot which I hate because it is soooo boring after giving up my Audi Q5 to get more room. I sat in one when they first came out and loved everything but the stitching quality on the interior. I also got a shady vibe from the dealership. I'm mainly curious what problems anyone has had with it being a first year run. I do 20k miles per year easily and will be out of warranty in 3 years. How are they holding up? Any thoughts? Thanks.
They have been out since February 2019. Who can predict the future with so little info? The branding is good as is the warranty.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
We would love to help you if we can. No shade here!

emj123

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You must have gone to MY dealer. Total scumbags.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If you are considering purchasing, go for it if it makes financial sense for you. Amazing vehicle for the price. Kia's powertrain warranty is up to 100k miles, so you're covered there for at least 5. Your warranty may run out on some other components, and you could always buy an extended warranty - (see @Jason Fox for a good value there). We previously had a Kia Soul through 78,000+ miles - NO major issues - it was a very reliable car. As for the Telluride, it's too soon to determine reliability, but judging by recent evidence of Hyundai and Kia's initial quality rankings and other rankings, I'm not too concerned. Plus, anything that does go wrong with a Kia is usually a lot less expensive to fix than a luxury vehicle like the Q5. Regular maintenance like oil changes, alignments, wheel balancing etc will also be less expensive. It drives much better than a Honda Pilot, and frankly you should be excited about the Telluride - both exterior and interior style. Very well appointed for the price.

If you want to know what problems folks have had, they are throughout this website. There have been complaints about cracking windshields (they are acoustic laminated glass, so probably more prone to cracking than older, non-laminated glass, heavier windshields. There are some complaints of vibration detected in some AWD models (I think this could be due to a transportation issue, as multiple cases appeared at same dealerships / regions). Other issues have been relatively minor, but in most all cases that I've read about on here, Kia has resolved or is resolving the issues through dealership service departments.

I wouldn't focus on the problems - as Kia has now built and sold around 40,000 of these vehicles this year, and we've only seen a handful of issues on this forum and others. People are comparing certain trims to high-end luxury vehicles - which isn't entirely off-base, but also not the target competition. This vehicle competes in a crowded market against the mass-market targeted Dodge Durango, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Volkswagen Atlas, Subaru Ascent, Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer (certain trims), GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, and their sister company's own Hyundai Palisade. I think the SX trim can compete with offerings from middle luxury Acura MDX or Infiniti QX-60, and the SX Prestige could potentially compete with certain trims of the Q7 (2.0), the Volvo XC90 (base engine) or the Cadillac XT6 (each of those has far more powerful engine options, as does the Explorer.)

Right now there is a Telluride premium - in the sense that inventory is tight, and they are priced at or above MSRP, and KMF (Kia Motor Finance) incentives are dwindling away each month. Given how much you drive, it may not make sense to purchase a Telluride right now if you don't NEED an adult-sized 3rd row. There are lots of deals on some of those other models mentioned that may make more financial sense - and then look into the Telluride in 3 years after you have put 60k on the other vehicle and the warranty is up. If you need cargo volume, and an adult sized 3rd row the Traverse or the Atlas might be a good choice. The Ascent also perhaps - check out transmission issues. Can't really go wrong with a 2019 Highlander - but also can't get too excited. Maybe the 2020 model - but then there won't be discounts on that for a while. Same story with the Ford Explorer. If you need to tow a lot, then the Telluride may also not be the best option.

I did purchase and take delivery of an SX Prestige and couldn't be happier - but we did get $2500 off MSRP via KMF rebates, we don't drive a lot, and we plan to keep the car for 10+ years - unless reliability becomes a problem for some reason! No one would fault you for choosing the Telluride! And if you do choose it - find a dealer who will order at or below MSRP and agree on price up front. There are plenty that will.

Last edited:

sdfan

Reaction score
I don't think you will get a better analysis than the previous post from jw_tx21.

We purchased an SXP AWD about 2 weeks ago and have about 750 miles thus far so I can't really comment on long term reliability, but I have to say I have been very impressed with the luxurious feel of the cabin, the safety features, the adaptive cruise control and of course of the price considering what you get for $47,000. If you read reviews from critics, you will find that they are also very impressed with the aforementioned features. Their only criticism is that the powertrain is relatively average. The 291hp engine is more than adequate for us as a family hauler but you might not have the same acceleration especially off the line that you would perhaps in a comparable BMW X5, Mercedes GLE or Audi Q7 or any of the hybrids out there for that matter.

Overall, we have been very impressed. We passed on the extended warranty however they were offering a bumper to bumper 100k warranty for $1200 at the time we purchased. That would cover you for 5 years if you have some doubts about how the vehicle might hold up.

Burghfan

Reaction score
If you are considering purchasing, go for it if it makes financial sense for you. Amazing vehicle for the price. Kia's powertrain warranty is up to 100k miles, so you're covered there for at least 5. Your warranty may run out on some other components, and you could always buy an extended warranty - (see @Jason Fox for a good value there). We previously had a Kia Soul through 78,000+ miles - NO major issues - it was a very reliable car. As for the Telluride, it's too soon to determine reliability, but judging by recent evidence of Hyundai and Kia's initial quality rankings and other rankings, I'm not too concerned. Plus, anything that does go wrong with a Kia is usually a lot less expensive to fix than a luxury vehicle like the Q5. Regular maintenance like oil changes, alignments, wheel balancing etc will also be less expensive. It drives much better than a Honda Pilot, and frankly you should be excited about the Telluride - both exterior and interior style. Very well appointed for the price.

If you want to know what problems folks have had, they are throughout this website. There have been complaints about cracking windshields (they are acoustic laminated glass, so probably more prone to cracking than older, non-laminated glass, heavier windshields. There are some complaints of vibration detected in some AWD models (I think this could be due to a transportation issue, as multiple cases appeared at same dealerships / regions). Other issues have been relatively minor, but in most all cases that I've read about on here, Kia has resolved or is resolving the issues through dealership service departments.

I wouldn't focus on the problems - as Kia has now built and sold around 40,000 of these vehicles this year, and we've only seen a handful of issues on this forum and others. People are comparing certain trims to high-end luxury vehicles - which isn't entirely off-base, but also not the target competition. This vehicle competes in a crowded market against the mass-market targeted Dodge Durango, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Volkswagen Atlas, Subaru Ascent, Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer (certain trims), GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, and their sister company's own Hyundai Palisade. I think the SX trim can compete with offerings from middle luxury Acura MDX or Infiniti QX-60, and the SX Prestige could potentially compete with certain trims of the Q7 (2.0), the Volvo XC90 (base engine) or the Cadillac XT6 (each of those has far more powerful engine options, as does the Explorer.)

Right now there is a Telluride premium - in the sense that inventory is tight, and they are priced at or above MSRP, and KMF (Kia Motor Finance) incentives are dwindling away each month. Given how much you drive, it may not make sense to purchase a Telluride right now if you don't NEED an adult-sized 3rd row. There are lots of deals on some of those other models mentioned that may make more financial sense - and then look into the Telluride in 3 years after you have put 60k on the other vehicle and the warranty is up. If you need cargo volume, and an adult sized 3rd row the Traverse or the Atlas might be a good choice. The Ascent also perhaps - check out transmission issues. Can't really go wrong with a 2019 Highlander - but also can't get too excited. Maybe the 2020 model - but then there won't be discounts on that for a while. Same story with the Ford Explorer. If you need to tow a lot, then the Telluride may also not be the best option.

I did purchase and take delivery of an SX Prestige and couldn't be happier - but we did get $2500 off MSRP via KMF rebates, we don't drive a lot, and we plan to keep the car for 10+ years - unless reliability becomes a problem for some reason! No one would fault you for choosing the Telluride! And if you do choose it - find a dealer who will order at or below MSRP and agree on price up front. There are plenty that will.
Thanks JW. That was one hell of a write up and I agree with all of it. This is definitely a want as my pilot does it's job but is putting me to sleep in the process. I actually walked away from one because it was over MSRP, the dealership even tried to sell me nitrogen filled tires for half the price of new tires. Honestly the only competing vehicle I find interesting is the Audi which is not the target competition. Really appreciate the detailed reply.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
On top of what @jw_tx21 stated, the 3.8L V6 and the 8 spd AT in the Telluride have been around for some time and have been proven to be pretty reliable (note: the 3.8L was modified to be able to run the Atkinson cycle).

Would have taken a bigger gamble w/ the Pilot w/ the 9 spd ZF transmission.

If there are any issues, likely to be w/ all the tech/electronics.

Burghfan

Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's responses. I ended up purchasing the Telluride's twin from Hyundai today after visit a couple of Kia dealers selling for a ridiculous amount above MSRP or being quoted November/December at best on an order. Also the dealership gave me 2k above what we both knew my trade was worth. Best of luck with your Telluride's.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's responses. I ended up purchasing the Telluride's twin from Hyundai today after visit a couple of Kia dealers selling for a ridiculous amount above MSRP or being quoted November/December at best on an order. Also the dealership gave me 2k above what we both knew my trade was worth. Best of luck with your Telluride's.
Great choice!