Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

HID headlight upgrade

Unknown

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I know it says installing HID headlight bulbs *may* cause electrical issues but has anyone experienced this first hand? I've installed HIDs in all of my vehicles with no problems in the past. I just ordered some HID bulbs and canbus ballasts and will be installing them tonight. I'll update if I run into any issues.

Unknown

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The HIDs are not throwing any codes and work nicely. I had to cut a hole in the headlight bulb access cap to run the ballast out but the HID kit I got came with a built in seal that fits nicely (most come with this). I was also able to stuff the moisture absorbing gel pack back in there as well.
IMG_20190611_172734.jpgIMG_20190611_172820.jpg

Last edited:

dngo27

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The HIDs are not throwing any codes and work nicely. I had to cut a hole in the headlight bulb access cap to run the ballast out but the HID kit I got came with a built in seal that fits nicely (most come with this). I was also able to stuff the moisture absorbing gel pack back in there as well.
View attachment 1620
View attachment 1621

Good to see that you did the HID kit. I have installed dozens of HID kits before on other vehicles. What kit did you use? I tried LED bulbs but wasn’t happy with any of the beam patterns.

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
View attachment 1620
View attachment 1621
Nice! I tried installing HIDs but the darn thing wouldn’t turn on! Good thing I used a printed a cap for it because I abandoned HIDs and went with LEDs after my failed attempt. What bulb did you use?

Unknown

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice! I tried installing HIDs but the darn thing wouldn’t turn on! Good thing I used a printed a cap for it because I abandoned HIDs and went with LEDs after my failed attempt. What bulb did you use?
Did you try flipping the connector around on the plug that connects to the car? I had to do that on mine to get them to work.

I bought the bulbs and ballast separate. Here are the links:
Bulbs:

Ballasts:

Unknown

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Good to see that you did the HID kit. I have installed dozens of HID kits before on other vehicles. What kit did you use? I tried LED bulbs but wasn’t happy with any of the beam patterns.
Yea after reading about the hit and miss of the beam patterns as well as some LEDs not being much brighter than the incandescent bulbs I decided to go with the old tried and true HIDs. They look stunning, are properly aimed due to the projectors so they don't blind anyone, and are 10x brighter than the stock bulbs.

dngo27

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Yea after reading about the hit and miss of the beam patterns as well as some LEDs not being much brighter than the incandescent bulbs I decided to go with the old tried and true HIDs. They look stunning, are properly aimed due to the projectors so they don't blind anyone, and are 10x brighter than the stock bulbs.
Awesome to hear of your great results! Also, congrats on the new whip and wheels. I also did an aftermarket wheel setup on my EX. Running American Racing AR928 gloss black.

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Did you try flipping the connector around on the plug that connects to the car? I had to do that on mine to get them to work.
No, I didn’t try that! I guess I should have tried that.

I plugged in both sides and both sides didn’t work. I kinda didn’t like the ballast and all the additional work that Inneeded to do to fasten and I guess I consistently plugged it in backwards.

Unknown

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No, I didn’t try that! I guess I should have tried that.

I plugged in both sides and both sides didn’t work. I kinda didn’t like the ballast and all the additional work that Inneeded to do to fasten and I guess I consistently plugged it in backwards.
The way I had to plug it in was actually backwards where the clip no longer works. A while back I ran into the same problem with another set of HIDs which is the only reason I thought to flip the plug around to get it to work. It's due to the Telluride having reversed polarity. This attached image kind of explains what I did but I did it with the connector going from the HID bulb to the vehicle's bulb plug.
warninng_canceller_reverse_polarity.jpg

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The way I had to plug it in was actually backwards where the clip no longer works. A while back I ran into the same problem with another set of HIDs which is the only reason I thought to flip the plug around to get it to work. It's due to the Telluride having reversed polarity. This attached image kind of explains what I did but I did it with the connector going from the HID bulb to the vehicle's bulb plug.
View attachment 1626
I didn’t know that! Yes, the plug looked like it was the right orientation but I guess with the Telluride you have to reverse it!! Wish I had known....thx for the info, maybe I’ll try this route again!

SX88

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Can you post a night pic of headlamps?

WatkinsTelluride

Reaction score
I know it says installing HID headlight bulbs *may* cause electrical issues but has anyone experienced this first hand? I've installed HIDs in all of my vehicles with no problems in the past. I just ordered some HID bulbs and canbus ballasts and will be installing them tonight. I'll update if I run into any issues.
Installing these tonight... I'll keep you posted

Attachments

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Unknown

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That's pretty impressive. Got a question about the picture of the front of the vehicle, is that taken with the light on high beam or low beam. It may be the camera exposure, but it looks like it may create a lot of glare for oncoming cars. even at the height you are taking the picture.
It's just the way my phone's camera dealt with the high contrast in light and dark, I focused it on the headlight assembly. As you can see in the low beam picture the light is only bright up to about headlight level of on coming vehicles. You should have your headlights aimed about 4 feet high at a 25 foot distance.

WatkinsTelluride

Reaction score

Attachments

Member Support

Please keep ths community Ad Free with a Supporting Member account today! For as little as $0.05 per day, you can keep this community online and ad free. CLICK HERE to send your support!