No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

High Beam Assist (HBA)

Gatorbyter

Reaction score
Am I correct that the High Beam Assist feature must be turned back on each and every time the vehicle is started? In other words, the previous mode of the High Beam Assist feature is not "remembered"?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Am I correct that the High Beam Assist feature must be turned back on each and every time the vehicle is started? In other words, the previous mode of the High Beam Assist feature is not "remembered"?
The operation is described in detail in the manual on pg 4-114 (in the version I am looking at). Not sure of your question - but if you activate the high beams, and you have HBA selected in the control settings, it will automatically activate and function as described each time you activate the high beams.

Gatorbyter

Reaction score
You didn't understand my question. Yes, I have read that section in the manual. I'll try to ask again in a different way.

Let's say I get in the vehicle, start it up, turn the HBA on by pushing the "light switch lever" away from me. The HBA comes on as indicated by the HBA blue instrument light and the fact that high beams come on automatically when no vehicles are incoming and off when they are. All works perfectly. Now pull the vehicle over and turn it off. Now start it up again. The HBA mode is OFF, i.e., not "remembered" from the previous time the vehicle was on. Clearer?

I would think the previous HBA mode would be "remembered" and left on.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You didn't understand my question. Yes, I have read that section in the manual. I'll try to ask again in a different way.

Let's say I get in the vehicle, start it up, turn the HBA on by pushing the "light switch lever" away from me. The HBA comes on as indicated by the HBA blue instrument light and the fact that high beams come on automatically when no vehicles are incoming and off when they are. All works perfectly. Now pull the vehicle over and turn it off. Now start it up again. The HBA mode is OFF, i.e., not "remembered" from the previous time the vehicle was on. Clearer?

I would think the previous HBA mode would be "remembered" and left on.
Oh, you mean if the lever is still pushed away from you to activate the high beams? So you turn off the car with the high beam lever pushed away from you and activated - and then when you restart it says HBA Off - and thus the high beams would be on by default?

Gatorbyter

Reaction score
No. The light lever doesn't stay "pushed away from you" (your words). It's a toggle and returns back to the center.

FYI ... I was not expecting the high beams to be on when I start the vehicle ..... I was expected the HBA mode to be left on. HBA operates the high and low beams automatically (given certain limitations and conditions as explained in the manual).

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No. The light lever doesn't stay "pushed away from you" (your words). It's a toggle and returns back to the center.
Ah, shows you how many times I've activated high beams so far. If it's a toggle, then the normal operation would be what you described. You'd have to manually re-activate HBA each time you re-start the car by pushing the lever away from you. Seems like it's working as designed.

I thought you were referring to it not being active after you push the lever away to activate high beams (and it's on), then you cancel the high beams / turn off car, and then push lever away again to turn on high beams and HBA is off. That wouldn't be normal.

Gatorbyter

Reaction score
"You'd have to manually re-activate HBA each time you re-start the car by pushing the lever away from you".

This seems so silly to me. Why not have the radio turn off each time the car is started? How about the climate control system? How about seat settings? I could go on, but apparently, it is what it is.

Since HBA is a special sub-feature of the "Auto" lights, it would make more sense for the mode to be in "memory" and have the user change it if desired.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
"You'd have to manually re-activate HBA each time you re-start the car by pushing the lever away from you".

This seems so silly to me. Why not have the radio turn off each time the car is started? How about the climate control system? How about seat settings? I could go on, but apparently, it is what it is.

Since HBA is a special sub-feature of the "Auto" lights, it would make more sense for the mode to be in "memory" and have the user change it if desired.
Yeah, I understand - but think of it as a subsystem of the high-beam lights - not just "auto" lights. I've never had a vehicle leave HBA on by default (I've had two others with HBA - and it's only active when high beams have been activated). Precisely because it isn't perfect technology and will potentially blind oncoming traffic if high beams are activated in error. So it makes sense to turn the high beams off each time the car is off and ask the user to manually re-activate them. To me it's ok as designed - but if you rely on HBA to actually see anything with stock halogen headlights, I could understand why it would be frustrating. Or, if you drive a lot on very dark, dimly lit, low use roads.

I don't know which trim you have - but if you have halogens, it's best to replace them with either HID or LEDs for better light output in low beam.

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Every vehicle I've owned with an HBA feature operated the same way: Always defaulted "off" on re-start.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
I came to my Telluride SX(P) from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. In the GC, the high beams were activated by pushing the lever forward, but it would stay clicked in place. In that position, high beam assist would ensure that the high beams wouldn’t activate unless it was appropriate. It was nice because you never had to think about it.

In the Telluride, I have just kind of created a habit of turning on the high beams into my routine to make sure they will activate when expected. Obviously, the setting persisting between ignition cycles would be preferred, especially since the stalk always comes back to center. But I guess I’ve just gotten used to it. In theory it seems like it could be something that might be possible to have updated in software, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it.

blitt

Reaction score
I have the SX P....When I turn the vehicle on at night, the headlights automatically come on ( I have the switch set on auto )...the high beam assist will be activated once I push the the lever forward...once that is done, the auto high beam function takes over. At the end of the ride, shut the car down and the next time you start the car at night, the "auto on" for the headlights will activate the lights, but YES you will once again have to push the high beam stick forward to activate the "auto high beam function" . The KIA logic on this is as follows: high beams are necessary at times, but not at all times and it is simply safer to put the initiation of "high beam functionality" into the hands of the driver RATHER than have the technology ALWAYS activating the high beam system. Doing it this way puts a bit more responsibility into the hands of the driver....I don't have a problem with that. Sort of like the "auto hold" system.....if you want to use it, you must activate each time you start the car.

Gatorbyter

Reaction score
This is my first vehicle with High Beam Assist. I still contend it should work analogous to the Lane Keep Assist. Restart the car and it remembers the previous setting!

II Kings 9:20

Reaction score

I agree and I'll add on my '15 Genesis, the heated seats default to off while the heated steering wheel stays on at startup. Go figure.

I understand the seats defaulting to off especially at the rear because they could be left on all winter and into the summer if you only occasionally carry people back there.

51 years after we put a man on the moon, I should be able to select "HBA default to on", "driver's heated seat default to on" in the car settings. This is simple software programming.

Some Euro cars don't even have a high setting. They are always on high, and only switch to low under certain circumstances.
High is the normal default setting on BMW and Audi laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emitted Radiation) headlights and may be in Europe only. I would much prefer this setup.

My Dad's '65 Caddy Sedan DeVille had auto high beams which dates to the '50s. It had an electronic eye hidden in the driver's side grille and detected on coming headlights. It worked wonderfully.

I was hoping the Kia HBA was adaptive curve following headlights. I have that on my 2013 X5 and it is great, much more than a gimmick. Citroen had that in the early '60s as did the '48 Tucker.

blitt

Reaction score
I agree and I'll add on my '15 Genesis, the heated seats default to off while the heated steering wheel stays on at startup. Go figure.

I understand the seats defaulting to off especially at the rear because they could be left on all winter and into the summer if you only occasionally carry people back there.

51 years after we put a man on the moon, I should be able to select "HBA default to on", "driver's heated seat default to on" in the car settings. This is simple software programming.

Some Euro cars don't even have a high setting. They are always on high, and only switch to low under certain circumstances.
High is the normal default setting on BMW and Audi laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emitted Radiation) headlights and may be in Europe only. I would much prefer this setup.

My Dad's '65 Caddy Sedan DeVille had auto high beams which dates to the '50s. It had an electronic eye hidden in the driver's side grille and detected on coming headlights. It worked wonderfully.

I was hoping the Kia HBA was adaptive curve following headlights. I have that on my 2013 X5 and it is great, much more than a gimmick. Citroen had that in the early '60s as did the '48 Tucker...
uhmmmmm.......the defaulting to either " ON vs. OFF" is probably part of the extreme "safety concern" era that we now live in.......that being said, the 48 Tucker did not have "adaptive curve following headlights"....believe me I know, have access to 3 of them.

3 of them.

Reaction score
uhmmmmm.......the defaulting to either " ON vs. OFF" is probably part of the extreme "safety concern" era that we now live in.......that being said, the 48 Tucker did not have "adaptive curve following headlights"....believe me I know, have access to 3 of them.

3 of them.
Well, I can’t claim access to a Tucker but I’ve seen one in person and every account I’ve read and seen says the center headlight is indeed “curve adaptive” i.e. the headlight turns with the steering wheel just like Citroen and many modern cars today.

Maybe the 3 you are familiar with don’t have this feature. The one I’ve seen indeed had it as do many others that are documented and not imagined.

Here’s what one expert has to say.

Last edited:

Bear

Reaction score
I understand the idea of reactivating the HBA system after a re start. If it remained in Auto when starting your vehicle in your driveway at night I don't think your neighbors across the road from you would like to have those high beam pointed at their windows.

Reaction score
Having to deactivate the auto engine shut off is more of a nuisance. I would of preferred this switch to be set permanently on or off.
They have to do this to maintain the EPA rating. If they let you default to off, then it wouldn't meet the EPA figures. By forcing you to opt out, they get credit for having the feature because the EPA knows no one will opt in.

Interestingly, it's not about an individual car and most will never realize any measurable MPG gain with auto engine shut off.

That measured fraction of a gallon gets multiplied by the many thousands of cars sold and it improves their corporate CAFE figures, not your individual MPG.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I understand the idea of reactivating the HBA system after a re start. If it remained in Auto when starting your vehicle in your driveway at night I don't think your neighbors across the road from you would like to have those high beam pointed at their windows.
They've already solved that problem on my '15 Genesis. The HBA is inactive and defaults to low at about 23 MPH.