Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

How to change the oil in your Kia Telluride

Michi-Tell

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice Job! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'm a do-my-own oil guy also and it's great to get a look under there in advance of my Telluride's arrival.

Because Pennzoil has a good rebate going right now I went ahead last week and picked up two 5 quart jugs at the nearby Wally.
They did have the Pennzoil Ultra but it was $5 more per jug than just Pennzoil Platinum. I checked the back of the regular Platinum and it also meets the ACEA A5/B5 standard, so I got that instead.

I think that the oil filter is the same filter that Kia uses for the Sorrento V6. If you type the Kia part# into a Google search, it comes back with 3 mainline brand matches: K&N PS-7035, Fram CH-11934 (unfortunately not the tough or ultra guards), and WIX WL-10033. Amazon seems to confirm the matches, again using the Sorrento V6 filter as reference. These mainline filters aren't presently much cheaper than the Kia filter so it doesn't make sense for me to go with them unless or until maybe they go on a good sale or clearance. And even then I'd like to look them over closely before going with something different. But it's good to know that there are choices.

That protective skid plate under the oil pan was a a mild surprise but, given the off-road capability Kia is touting, it shouldn't have been. However, that does add a little time to an oil change. Howver, in my case, I plan to use a Fumoto drain valve ( Search Results | Fumoto® Engine Oil Drain Valves ) which will mean that I don't have to remove the plate at all. I wouldn't use this valve if I were to be going off-roading, obviously, but for regular road conditions it will work great and make oil changes super easy. Best of all, the skid plate will protect the valve against anything like road debris or a big rock bouncing up and bashing into it. Here it is on Amazon: Amazon.com: Fumoto F106SX M14-1.5 SX Series Drain Valve: Gateway

For anyone interested in getting one of these valves, just make sure you get the right size for your pan threads. Their latest 'fit all' design is the SX model which I just happen to already have. So I hope that the Telluride has the same drain plug size as the V6 Sorrento b/c that M14 size is the one I have now.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

propofolboy

Reaction score
Those Fumoto drains look great to avoid removing drain plug everytime.
I'm not sure how it would allow you to do an oil change without removing the skid plate tho?? It looks like the skid plate would have to come off to remove the filter at the very least.

Michi-Tell

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I carefully re-watched the video and you are correct. On first viewing, it looked like the filter was far enough over to the passenger side where the skid plate wouldn't need to be removed, but a close re-look shows that the skid plate would indeed need to be removed for the oil filter. And that makes sense b/c the filter is part of why the plate is there. Good Catch.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you explain how you determined you had enough miles that the motor was broken in enough to do the first oil change? I would like to do something similar but don’t want to do it too early or late. Thanks for putting this together!