How to install a 2 Channel (Front and Rear) dashcam in a Telluride like a professional.

LtFireguy

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the rear dashcam to stick to that plastic trim piece at the top of the window? I don’t want to put it on the glass, it’s already hanging down far enough (visually annoying in the rear view mirror) if it’s on the plastic trim. But that plastic trim seems to be impervious to all kinds of double sided tape that I’ve tried. It’s like teflon or something.
I've had a very hard time getting mine to stick on the front plastic behind the rear view mirror so I'd be interested in knowing how somebody did this as well unless they put a very shallow screw in or something. For the rear window, there's a lot more clearance behind the plastic trim I believe so I would attempt to screw it in, after checking of course. For me I just installed it between the heat strips on the rear window as it doesn't bother me to see the little camera. It has to be between the heat strips though because I made the mistake of attaching it where the heat strip was and when you use the rear window defroster the camera comes off.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

RogersMJ

Reaction score
Well, I still can’t get the rear camera to stay put on the plastic trim. I even got some different extra-strong “exterior” 3M tape…I’ve never seen something this tape can’t stick to, but it still falls off every week or so. I’m really at a loss…maybe a very short screw from the back of the plastic trim into the plastic mounting pad on the camera? This is risky obviously, don’t want it to go too deep into the camera housing and damage something. If I can’t make that work I guess I’lol put it on the glass and hope it stays.

LtFireguy

Reaction score
Well, I still can’t get the rear camera to stay put on the plastic trim. I even got some different extra-strong “exterior” 3M tape…I’ve never seen something this tape can’t stick to, but it still falls off every week or so. I’m really at a loss…maybe a very short screw from the back of the plastic trim into the plastic mounting pad on the camera? This is risky obviously, don’t want it to go too deep into the camera housing and damage something. If I can’t make that work I guess I’lol put it on the glass and hope it stays.
You should have no problem using a short screw as there's not much behind it. I also used 3M Automotive tape and I couldn't get mine to stay stuck on the plastic either.

sacherjj

Reaction score
While I am really late to this thread, I can tell you why it is hard to stick to the plastic. Most durable automobile plastic is polypropylene-based which is very durable but also has very low surface energy. This means that it isn't "sticky" to adhesive and tape. Once adhesive that works well is high temp hot glue, but it is impossible to get off and not recommended (many thermal adhesives are polypropylene based). (Also would let loose in very hot interiors.) The only other adhesive I've found to work is UV cured and expensive. So sticking to glass is the way to go. I spent 4 years building a ruggedized tablet based on Toyota Camry bumper plastic and performed tons of tests before melting the tablet together.

Although if I can find replacement parts for behind the mirror, I might "ruin" that from stock for a high camera mount. We will see when my 900X Plus gets in and I start playing around.

Last edited:

sacherjj

Reaction score
I just bought the "2019 2020 2021 KIA TELLURIDE FRONT ROOF REAR VIEW MIRROR TRIM BEZEL BLACO OEM" off eBay that I can modify to get the front camera as high as possible and maybe route wires through it.

GreekWiz

Reaction score
I just bought the "2019 2020 2021 KIA TELLURIDE FRONT ROOF REAR VIEW MIRROR TRIM BEZEL BLACO OEM" off eBay that I can modify to get the front camera as high as possible and maybe route wires through it.

Search does not bring anything up, can you post a link?