Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

I got a lemon SX

BayFam

Reaction score
Well, after searching across the entire country for a SX AWD and paying $1600 transport from MI to CA I ended up with a lemon that needs a full transmission replacement. Been in contact with Kia Consumer Affairs and we’re in a Kia paid rental at the moment while my case is resolved. I can’t even drive the car to smog and register. Please pray for me this is a painless process. The check engine light with transmission error popped up at 6 miles, they cleared it and it never showed up again so they sold it and it popped up for me at 62 miles after receiving the car at 52 miles. Any advice welcomed- this is unacceptable and unfathomable.

Attachments

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
Bummer! Sorry to hear about that! In all honestly I’d rather it be a transmission than some electrical gremlin that requires ripping the interior apart to track down. A transmission is something their techs should be able to expertly repair in short order. Good luck and keep us posted.

CAsuKiHy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This is why I would never buy a car from out of my reach area. When I mentioned this here on this forum some members laughed.
Good luck to you figuring it out, and hopefully Kia does it right!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tom

Reaction score
It would not hurt to pressure the original dealer to take it back & either get you a new one or refund your money.

Kia-Driver

Reaction score
I would not consider this a lemon. Just a manufacturing defect, probably just in the electronics or a sensor. In order for it to be a lemon, it would have to have the same failure 3 times in a row, or a quick succession of multiple failures (where it's in the shop more than on the road).

It's too early to call this a lemon. Get the transmission (and/or electronics) fixed and it'll likely be fine.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Crazy mark ups in CA and I found the exact color, trim and options out of state.
Unforantually you walked into a dealer trap. If they could sell it locally for msrp, they would have. I bet if you search the VIN, this vechile was transdered from shady dealer to dealer.

You don't get to 50+ miles with out noticing something that popup up at 6 miles.

Let me guess, they sold you this for a huge discount?

G

G-564322

Well, after searching across the entire country for a SX AWD and paying $1600 transport from MI to CA I ended up with a lemon that needs a full transmission replacement. Been in contact with Kia Consumer Affairs and we’re in a Kia paid rental at the moment while my case is resolved. I can’t even drive the car to smog and register. Please pray for me this is a painless process. The check engine light with transmission error popped up at 6 miles, they cleared it and it never showed up again so they sold it and it popped up for me at 62 miles after receiving the car at 52 miles. Any advice welcomed- this is unacceptable and unfathomable.
Not uncommon. Great warranty but not so great car!

G

G-245543

This is why I would never buy a car from out of my reach area. When I mentioned this here on this forum some members laughed.
Good luck to you figuring it out, and hopefully Kia does it right!
First year new model of any new vehicle always has issues.

JOBU

Reaction score
Having same issue with my sx at 2k miles. 2nd time in shop. If not fixed I will be hiring lemon law attorney and run from Kia.

BayFam

Reaction score
Having same issue with my sx at 2k miles. 2nd time in shop. If not fixed I will be hiring lemon law attorney and run from Kia.
Document everything and encourage the service department to take their time and leave your car there. You have no case until closer to 30 days out of service or 3 repair attempts. Keep on it and get a lawyer.

BayFam

Reaction score
The new transmission came in but before that, Kia consumer affairs offered me 3 car payments as a courtesy but when they sent the offer it included a contract to release all
Liability so I’d be stuck with this car and could never file as lemon suit which is basically extortion. So I didn’t sign it. The new transmission was installed with no success- the same issues showed up along with the same error code on mile 16 of the test drive. So the new transmission completely failed and I’m on day 22 and counting.