No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Is anyone concerned w/ the display getting hot?

Parchu14

Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that the back of the display gets extremely hot?

Took my LX on a 6 hour road trip and the back of the display was so hot I was concerned it would stop working as it is all a metal-type material and seems to attract the sun.

My husband is a pilot and even in aircraft, all electronics have cooling fans or a back panel to absorb the sun between the display and direct sunlight. Think this will end up being a design flaw?

I dislike the look of dash mats, but wonder if I might need one...

Rich06

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not worried, I tinted my front windshield with some high quality tint. I had an overheating issue with my old Mazda when the back of the infotainment system would sit out in the hot Florida sun baking. It would tell me it was hot and wouldn't even come on until the temp was reduced. Window tint fixed this issues on the Mazda, so have done it since.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not worried, I tinted my front windshield with some high quality tint. I had an overheating issue with my old Mazda when the back of the infotainment system would sit out in the hot Florida sun baking. It would tell me it was hot and wouldn't even come on until the temp was reduced. Window tint fixed this issues on the Mazda, so have done it since.
Just too expensive, the tickets that is.

ColMo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just too expensive, the tickets that is.
My windshield has a clear film - no tint applied - it rejects up to 71% of the heat (Autobahn I3 Ceramic) - XPEL has films that reject 80% up to 94% heat but not cheap. I have to redo film on my wife’s CRV after having windshield replaced due to rock chip/crack - Autobahn I3 Ceramic will cost $250 - XPEL film 80% will cost $329. I live in Texas and the clear film on my windshield makes a big difference.

Ticosantx

Reaction score
My windshield has a clear film - no tint applied - it rejects up to 71% of the heat (Autobahn I3 Ceramic) - XPEL has films that reject 80% up to 94% heat but not cheap. I have to redo film on my wife’s CRV after having windshield replaced due to rock chip/crack - Autobahn I3 Ceramic will cost $250 - XPEL film 80% will cost $329. I live in Texas and the clear film on my windshield makes a big difference.
Where in Texas do you find the shop where they put that film? If you put tint dont you need some kind of a doctor's prescription?

ColMo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Where in Texas do you find the shop where they put that film? If you put tint dont you need some kind of a doctor's prescription?
Most good auto detail shops can do it. I had Relentless Shine in San Antonio do my Telluride. I had them do all windows (front were tinted to closely match rear windows, but within Texas rules) and the windshield (clear film). They also did my PPF and Ceramic coating. Here is a link to Texas Tint rules

Sirjonwes

Reaction score
Most good auto detail shops can do it. I had Relentless Shine in San Antonio do my Telluride. I had them do all windows (front were tinted to closely match rear windows, but within Texas rules) and the windshield (clear film). They also did my PPF and Ceramic coating. Here is a link to Texas Tint rules
How much did the PPF run you? I had Fletch Window Tint do mine, but have been contemplating adding a clear bra. I'm also in SA.

ColMo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
How much did the PPF run you? I had Fletch Window Tint do mine, but have been contemplating adding a clear bra. I'm also in SA.
I paid $900 for partial front kit for Suntek Premium Shield Elite - Applied to front bumper, approx 24in to hood & fenders, headlights & mirror caps. They do good work.

Bear

Reaction score
I had the entire hood , front end ,front fenders and mirrors, headlights with 3M clear film to protect from stone chips and had the Platinum Shield paint protection done. Garanteed no waxing for 7yrs. Total cost 1,400.00 CAN. with taxes. It's a 2 day process. You barely can see the 3M film unless you look for an edge. A lot of time required to cut between each letter on the hood.

Sirjonwes

Reaction score
I had the entire hood , front end ,front fenders and mirrors, headlights with 3M clear film to protect from stone chips and had the Platinum Shield paint protection done. Garanteed no waxing for 7yrs. Total cost 1,400.00 CAN. with taxes. It's a 2 day process. You barely can see the 3M film unless you look for an edge. A lot of time required to cut between each letter on the hood.
That seems like a great deal. Around hear a full front end PPF runs around $2k USD...thats not including coating.

Bear

Reaction score
That seems like a great deal. Around hear a full front end PPF runs around $2k USD...thats not including coating.
Glad to hear I got good deal! Wasn't sure if I paid to much. The company did an excellent job and certainly praised them on it, and brought them coffee and doughnuts the following day.

G

G-60924

That is why you go with a 50% tint on the windshield. Not dark at all, but rejects tons of heat. The windshield is the largest window on your vehicle, and biggest heat conduit from the sun.
you can buy high heat and uv rejecting tint in lighter shades. you can get a 50% tint that rejects heat like a 20% tint would without the obviousness of tint on windshield which i think is illegal everywhere. I have had 50% on windshield and didnt have any problems. sunteck and 3m make it. its 2x the cost. very few places stock it unless you're in the southwest USA.

mecheng1

Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that the back of the display gets extremely hot?

Took my LX on a 6 hour road trip and the back of the display was so hot I was concerned it would stop working as it is all a metal-type material and seems to attract the sun.

My husband is a pilot and even in aircraft, all electronics have cooling fans or a back panel to absorb the sun between the display and direct sunlight. Think this will end up being a design flaw?

I dislike the look of dash mats, but wonder if I might need one...
Don't worry about. It will not be an issue.
However tinting your windshield will be. ....If you want to be able to see out at night that is.

NDTELLI

Reaction score
The Telluride has solar glass. It is suppose to reduce UV and sun radiation from going in the car. Keeps the car cooler and help reduce wear and deterioration of the dash.

mecheng1

Reaction score
The Telluride has solar glass. It is suppose to reduce UV and sun radiation from going in the car. Keeps the car cooler and help reduce wear and deterioration of the dash.
Exactly, so no need to add tinting to windshield as some are suggesting.

Ticosantx

Reaction score
Thanks for the information you provided.