No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Is Kia full of it?

ga1322

Reaction score
Is anyone else starting to get the impression that Kia is holding back Tellurides just to drive up sales? With all these posts all over the country that people can barely find them at dealerships, and my own personal experience, I’m starting to get that impression. I mean with how many cars these plants can roll out daily, how is everyone having to wait? I understand the prestige/leather situation, but I’m referring to all the other models as well.
Kia seems to have brilliantly marketed this vehicle with price and timing, makes me wonder if this “delay” is part of marketing as well.

gzy99

Reaction score
That strategy is pretty common. But, in most cases its to create hype, make it seem like its in great demand. Dealers take advantage and use their own markup.

ga1322

Reaction score
That strategy is pretty common. But, in most cases its to create hype, make it seem like its in great demand. Dealers take advantage and use their own markup.
Right. But in this case, the hype is already there. The demand is there. But the illusion of low supply makes people that would “never” pay above MSRP for a vehicle do just that, thinking they better scoop it up while they can.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m sure they’re trying to balance the production with demand to avoid selling at a discount. If they ramp up production too much and flood the market with them the QC will go down and they will have to dig deeper with incentives cutting into their profit. I don’t think there is a massive lot full of tellurides being trickled out to dealers to intentionally line their pockets with excessive markups.

ga1322

Reaction score
I’m sure they’re trying to balance the production with demand to avoid selling at a discount. If they ramp up production too much and flood the market with them the QC will go down and they will have to dig deeper with incentives cutting into their profit. I don’t think there is a massive lot full of tellurides being trickled out to dealers to intentionally line their pockets with excessive markups.
I agree with you. But I would still like to get a live satellite photo of the Georgia plant to see what they got lol

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I am not so sure it is lack of supply...as long as the LX, EX and S seem to be flowing to my Dealership in Hermitage, PA... The get all but the SX and especially the SXP.... which is the one myself and one other customer ordered over 2 months ago... ...In the last 3 months...my Dealer has gotten almost 30. I you know a dealer is pulling BS... then it would be a good thing to make it known to any of their customers...

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Are they doing this to drive up sells, for the most part, for everyone, this has been a nightmare. Kia is getting orders dropped and losing customers to the process. The dealers are getting label bad and worst. The consumer is just pounding sand and getting really angry, like you.

They thought they where going to sell 40,000 to 60,000 a year. They set out to produce 5-6,000 a month. They got a lot of high end buyers, which will be here and gone a few months. After that it will come down to normal.

At no point does making anyone wait 12 to 20 months for a car is going to drive "up" sale.

James

Reaction score
As an autoworker in Detroit I was skeptical of the shortage, and Kia in general, but I loved the car. After seeing the lack of inventory I ordered an SXP for 1K off MSRP and $2500 off in incentives. The car was ordered on May 1 with a $500 refundable deposit. Dealer said six to eight weeks. I picked up the car yesterday. I have to say I was very pleased with the whole experience. No pressure, no add ons, the best car buying experience I have ever had. Kudos to Summit Place Kia.

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
April order for me... with one "check in" of my dealer/salesperson... Still no info on anything but the fact I left my deposit. My order was a Black on Black SXP, AWD, Tow.... I agree with the idea that there are some PISSED OFF "potential" KIA customers. I informed my Dealer that they are gradually LOSING these people as they are dumping their orders of the T-Ride and moving on to other brands...which have no ungodly waiting period. Not sure if THAT even sent up a red flag to them. I know some have even took a lesser model than what they wanted and even different colors and packages... I am too far into this to accept LESS. My Dealership is BRAND NEW and large but Myself and one other has basically the same order in... there. I am even going to express my issue in the form of..."Hey..I was patient...not stooopid and would think there would be some "candy" added to this deal for the inconvenience!"... we shall see. My hope is that this doesn't come in...just in time for my family to drive in my Funeral Procession LOL.

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
We need to realize that dealers have no control when orders are filled. Yes Kia got hammered on orders and that went as far to shut down the line that made Sorento's and changed that line to Tellurides only. Yes the SXP are the ones behind and if you read most of us waiting on an order they were SXP. So maybe Kia is not getting the service it needs from the manufactures of the SXP options. I would be willing to bet if KIA could produce more they would for they know the hype will end. Lets all take a deep breath and relax, our Tellurides will be here when we get them. If you willing to put up a deposit then you should have known the wait could be longer than sooner. BTW I ordered mine on March 21 and still waiting so if you have been waiting 6 to 8 weeks you could have another 6 weeks to go. Hang in there and it will happen. The part that ticks me off are the dealers that mark the cars up or put dealer add ons to raise the price. This is where we can control some of the prices by waiting it out and sticking together. Maybe I just lucky and found a honest dealer only wanting to make a living and I feel I got a fair deal. In the end YOU are the one that has final say and YOU must be happy with the deal you make. Good Luck to all on finding a deal you can live with and enjoy your new ride. As for you that have got your new ride, great and drive safe and enjoy it for I know my day will be here soon. Down in Texas

Daparest

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We need to realize that dealers have no control when orders are filled. Yes Kia got hammered on orders and that went as far to shut down the line that made Sorento's and changed that line to Tellurides only. Yes the SXP are the ones behind and if you read most of us waiting on an order they were SXP. So maybe Kia is not getting the service it needs from the manufactures of the SXP options. I would be willing to bet if KIA could produce more they would for they know the hype will end. Lets all take a deep breath and relax, our Tellurides will be here when we get them. If you willing to put up a deposit then you should have known the wait could be longer than sooner. BTW I ordered mine on March 21 and still waiting so if you have been waiting 6 to 8 weeks you could have another 6 weeks to go. Hang in there and it will happen. The part that ticks me off are the dealers that mark the cars up or put dealer add ons to raise the price. This is where we can control some of the prices by waiting it out and sticking together. Maybe I just lucky and found a honest dealer only wanting to make a living and I feel I got a fair deal. In the end YOU are the one that has final say and YOU must be happy with the deal you make. Good Luck to all on finding a deal you can live with and enjoy your new ride. As for you that have got your new ride, great and drive safe and enjoy it for I know my day will be here soon. Down in Texas
My monthly lease for an XSP was anticipated to be $543 when I placed my order on 4 April. This was based on getting a Kia $2800 cap cost reduction. On 1 July this expires and my monthly lease becomes $627 for the same vehicle. This kinda feels like a bait and switch game where i was suckered in for the $543 with Kia knowing I wouldn't get the car until after it goes to $627. Only 3 positive alternatives exist: Kia keeps the incentive after 1 July in spite of super high demand, Kia honors lease prices placed before the order freeze, or my dealer eats the $2800. All 3 seem doubtful even with the Palisade competition.

kjh8sfk23r8

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
But does Kia themselves have anything to gain from that? As far as I understand it Kia would make their money on volume, cause they sell to dealers at more or less the same rate. If a dealer marks up past MSRP, Kia themselves don't make any extra money, right? If that's the case it makes little sense for Kia to purposefully hold back.

Daparest

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
But does Kia themselves have anything to gain from that? As far as I understand it Kia would make their money on volume, cause they sell to dealers at more or less the same rate. If a dealer marks up past MSRP, Kia themselves don't make any extra money, right? If that's the case it makes little sense for Kia to purposefully hold back.
I'm not saying Kia "purposely" created a supply mess just to make a measly $2800 (in my case) more per car. At the very least Kia should announce that for cars on order that are delivered after 30 June all incentives at the time of the order will continue to be honored. The Telluride will be my 5th Kia/Hyundai going back to 2002. I do believe in the quality and value that these cars offer. However, I regard the price as agreed to on the order to be a binding contract for myself as well as Kia.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Daparest

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not saying Kia "purposely" created a supply mess just to make a measly $2800 (in my case) more per car. At the very least Kia should announce that for cars on order that are delivered after 30 June all incentives at the time of the order will continue to be honored. The Telluride will be my 5th Kia/Hyundai going back to 2002. I do believe in the quality and value that these cars offer. However, I regard the price as agreed to on the order to be a binding contract for myself as well as Kia.
BTW, my order was at MSRP. Not a penny more.

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
My dealer quoted me in March and as of today I am told my dealer is honoring his price. They are honoring incentives also. Stay firm with yourDealer and he should honor your agreement. Study all the incentives and go in with your guns loaded

G

G-206831

Great minds think alike.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI Kia doesn’t get that $2800 over MSRP...the dealer does...i seriously doubt they give a rats about the dealers getting any additional profit.

Daparest

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
FYI Kia doesn’t get that $2800 over MSRP...the dealer does...i seriously doubt they give a rats about the dealers getting any additional profit.
Not true what you say about the $2800. This is what Kia saves per leased SXP by not using it to lower the cap cost. It has nothing to do with the MSRP. The monthly lease amount is calculated by playing with three critical elements; Capital Cost, Money Factor, and Residual Value. If cap cost or money factor goes up, lease cost goes up. So if Kia doesn't give the $2800 to reduce the cap cost, Kia saves a $2800 expense and the lessee pays $84 more a month to the dealer. A win/win deal for Kia and the dealer.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
Not true what you say about the $2800. This is what Kia saves per leased SXP by not using it to lower the cap cost. It has nothing to do with the MSRP. The monthly lease amount is calculated by playing with three critical elements; Capital Cost, Money Factor, and Residual Value. If cap cost or money factor goes up, lease cost goes up. So if Kia doesn't give the $2800 to reduce the cap cost, Kia saves a $2800 expense and the lessee pays $84 more a month to the dealer. A win/win deal for Kia and the dealer.
Um what? No. When the vehicle is financed, whether through a lease, traditional finance, or cash, who do you think gets that money? The dealer. Kia gets a pre-negotiated sum for the car that they sold to the dealer. Everything extra goes to the dealer not Kia.

Edit: Never-mind...i read your post in another thread and now get what you’re saying. No way did they short production to weasel out of incentives...crazier things have happened...but I’ll save my tinfoil hat for another day.