No soliciting permitted.

Issues/Question with Lifting a Telluride

Mjake03

Reaction score
Hi-

I just got my 2021 Kia Telluride SX Prestige Nightfall in White a couple weeks ago, and put the Truxxx 2" lift on it, 17 inch Black Rhino Boxer rims on it as well as Toyo Open Country AT3's at 265/70/17, with a +12mm offset. Painted the calipers red, Borla exhaust and K&N filter, thing looks great (I think). I 've attached a couple pics.

So to the questions. The local shop who installed this did quite a bit of trimming to make the wheels fit without rubbing. My turning radius is dare I say it the same as stock, at least I can crank the wheel all the way left and right without any rubbing. Going in reverse, they rub both ways when I crank the wheel - small annoyance. They handle great other than that, however my family and I went on a road trip last weekend and we were on an interstate doing 70 mph, and hit some whoopty-doos/uneven pavement (freeway going over a creek or something so the cement "popped" up). At 70, when I hit this it sounded like I bottomed out on the tires inside the wheel well. This happened three times over the course of the trip. Question is, should this be cause for concern? My local guy is talking about adding another 1/2 inch lift to the the Truxxx lift, but when I correspond with Truxxx they want me to go all the way down to a 265/60/18 with a +38mm offset. I don't like that look.

Looking for anyone else on here who's put similar dimension wheels/tires on their Telluride and can share their experience. These aren't very big wheels or tires, same size as 4Runners - so Im not sure why is this a problem. I know the Telluride is a unibody and the 4Runner is truck based, but my feeling is the 2" inch lift actually doesn't lift it 2", something my local installer had mentioned. He thought the kit would have lifted it a little higher.

Any thoughts on how to maintain my tire/wheel dimensions would be gratefully appreciated!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2130.JPEG
    IMG_2130.JPEG
    476.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2131.JPEG
    IMG_2131.JPEG
    485.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2132.JPEG
    IMG_2132.JPEG
    496 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2133.JPEG
    IMG_2133.JPEG
    338.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2127.JPEG
    IMG_2127.JPEG
    364.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
There's a few threads on this - but no one has been as aggressive as you with the tires. You will have rub with the Truxx lift and those size tires. Unfortunately, for that wheel setup, the Telluride is nowhere near close to a 4runner. I will try to find the posts describing people's successful wheel setups. The recommendation you have seems pretty good.

See this thread:

Note that @Suciowill was able to do 265/65/18 with minimal rub. But, 265/60/18 seems to be successful.

Btw, love the look you have... let us know if you get it working to your satisfaction on the Telluride.

Last edited:

Mjake03

Reaction score
There's a few threads on this - but no one has been as aggressive as you with the tires. You will have rub with the Truxx lift. Unfortunately, for that wheel setup, the Telluride is nowhere near close to a 4runner. I will try to find the posts describing people's successful wheel setups. The recommendation you have seems pretty good.

See this thread:

Note that @Suciowill was able to do 265/65/18 with minimal rub. But, 265/60/18 seems to be successful.

Btw, love the look you have... let us know if you get it working to your satisfaction on the Telluride.
Thanks. I like the look a lot too, hence the reluctance to go down in size. I’d rather go up a little :). If I do go down in size I’d keep the 17” rims and do a 265/65/17, which should actually be smaller than a 265/65/18. I’m hoping if I am forced to do that the overall look would remain. I’ll keep you posted!

firesurf

Telluride Custom
Reaction score
I want to do what you did. I just bought a 2021 White Telluride LX AWD. Will the same size tires still look good with the 2" lift? I want to get new AT tires that look nice but in same size 245/60R18. Help!

G

G-336704

I want to do what you did. I just bought a 2021 White Telluride LX AWD. Will the same size tires still look good with the 2" lift? I want to get new AT tires that look nice but in same size 245/60R18. Help!
I initially went with 265/70/17's. they rubbed with the lift no matter what we did. I went through an extensive back and forth with the company that makes the lift (Truxx), and they did extra testing for me. The perfect size for this lift is a 265/65/17 at the largest. Since I swapped my tires for that size, the handling and everything else has been perfect, no rubbing issues or sensor issues.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Doc_T

Reaction score
I’m running the truxxx lift with 265 70 17 open country at III, black rhino arsenals and 2” custom spacers. Still get rub. Looking at doing a full suspension overhaul with KW long travel shocks, etc. trying to get as close to the SEMA trucks as I can.

Attachments

• AF2593DE-438F-4E69-8EEC-8A32ED525E9F.jpeg
    AF2593DE-438F-4E69-8EEC-8A32ED525E9F.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 2FD7A029-1E4A-418D-B475-A0CACC300AAF.jpeg
    2FD7A029-1E4A-418D-B475-A0CACC300AAF.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 126

DarkMossJustin

Reaction score
I’m running the truxxx lift with 265 70 17 open country at III, black rhino arsenals and 2” custom spacers. Still get rub. Looking at doing a full suspension overhaul with KW long travel shocks, etc. trying to get as close to the SEMA trucks as I can.

@Doc_T:

Nice project you have there !!

Don't mean to hijack this thread but could you possibly list your setup on the roof of your Telly?

DarkMossJustin

Reaction score
Hi-

I just got my 2021 Kia Telluride SX Prestige Nightfall in White a couple weeks ago, and put the Truxxx 2" lift on it, 17 inch Black Rhino Boxer rims on it as well as Toyo Open Country AT3's at 265/70/17, with a +12mm offset. Painted the calipers red, Borla exhaust and K&N filter, thing looks great (I think). I 've attached a couple pics.

So to the questions. The local shop who installed this did quite a bit of trimming to make the wheels fit without rubbing. My turning radius is dare I say it the same as stock, at least I can crank the wheel all the way left and right without any rubbing. Going in reverse, they rub both ways when I crank the wheel - small annoyance. They handle great other than that, however my family and I went on a road trip last weekend and we were on an interstate doing 70 mph, and hit some whoopty-doos/uneven pavement (freeway going over a creek or something so the cement "popped" up). At 70, when I hit this it sounded like I bottomed out on the tires inside the wheel well. This happened three times over the course of the trip. Question is, should this be cause for concern? My local guy is talking about adding another 1/2 inch lift to the the Truxxx lift, but when I correspond with Truxxx they want me to go all the way down to a 265/60/18 with a +38mm offset. I don't like that look.

Looking for anyone else on here who's put similar dimension wheels/tires on their Telluride and can share their experience. These aren't very big wheels or tires, same size as 4Runners - so Im not sure why is this a problem. I know the Telluride is a unibody and the 4Runner is truck based, but my feeling is the 2" inch lift actually doesn't lift it 2", something my local installer had mentioned. He thought the kit would have lifted it a little higher.

Any thoughts on how to maintain my tire/wheel dimensions would be gratefully appreciated!

Mark
@Mjake03:

Nice looking ride !!

I never thought I would like a Telly in W/B (normally too panda 🐼 for me) but yours looks amazing, maybe because of the lift and the Black Rhino rims + the A/T setup.

Hope you can figure out a solution, perhaps with a suspension upgrade, or just drive it like that haha :)

Wiluride

Reaction score
hi lift off-road jack with hi lift rack mounts
So what do you attach the hi-lift to if it's needed?

Does the brush guard attach to something stout enough to pull or push something with? How is it attached?

Doc_T

Reaction score
Brush guard attaches to the frame underneath. I’m actually looking into doing a tubular style bumper, but as of right now the fab place I talked to in California was going to charge 10-12k for the bumper and skid plate. 493305E1-54F6-4AF6-A821-8C003E0D41DE.jpeg

Matroskin

Reaction score
Brush guard attaches to the frame underneath. I’m actually looking into doing a tubular style bumper, but as of right now the fab place I talked to in California was going to charge 10-12k for the bumper and skid plate.
lol, 10 k is a rip off :p
They seem to count on the fact that it is hard to find fabricators who will do custom fitting work on a non-popular (off-road wise) vehicle.

Doc_T

Reaction score
lol, 10 k is a rip off :p
They seem to count on the fact that it is hard to find fabricators who will do custom fitting work on a non-popular (off-road wise) vehicle.
Bingo. I haven’t had a chance to talk to any local fabricators but I’m guessing that is a healthily inflated figure.

Wiluride

Reaction score
Bingo. I haven’t had a chance to talk to any local fabricators but I’m guessing that is a healthily inflated figure.
For $10,000, you could probably get someone to fabricate something out of titaninium :)

Matroskin

Reaction score
10k sounds more like a budget to convert a fully stock car into fully custom show offroader with custom suspension and bodywork like this

zloy

Reaction score
Are there any brake calipers clearance issues with those 17 Black Rhino Arsenals?

Matroskin

Reaction score
When considering the rubbing it is not only the vertical (lift) components which needs to be taken into account.

The wheel well is curved inside, so you are not getting the same clearance increase everywhere when you just add a spacer lift.
The suspension travel in not strictly vertical, but rather on a slight curve (the wheel moves more inwards at lowest and highest control arm position).
Plus, you need to consider the space which the wheel takes in a turn (which is is the most frequent rub situation candidate).

Minor trimming of the inside surfaces of the wheel well might be done to remedy some of that (depending on the severity of the rubbing).

As for your lift kit not providing 2 inches everywhere - that is because it is a leveling kit. It increases only the minimum clearance to 2 inches + makes the car "level", but that does not mean that each axle will get same lift.
Usually the front axle is where the clearance is the lowest, that's why leveling kits will generally give more lift for the front, but less for the back.
Based on the item description, this kit has approx. 2 inches for the front axle, but 1.5 (or 1.75 perhaps) for the rear (because in stock the rear is already higher than the front).

On soft-roader crossovers like these a 1 inch increase in tire diameter is usually the most suitable.
Also a suspension lift of 2-2.5 inches is the biggest reasonable if you don't plan to heavily modify the entire suspension.

It does not matter what wheels 4runner (or any other car for that matter) has - those are different cars designed for a different suspension geometry and wheel size, so don't use it as a reference ;)

firesurf

Telluride Custom
Reaction score
Just got the 2” lift from Truxxx done on my new 2021 AWD Telluride and it rides, looks and feels great! No change in ride. Everything is good but the dealer who did the lift did put this note on the final invoice: “We noticed that the ABS is very sensitive in this vehicle and may occasionally activate when turning sharp into or out of the driveway. If the problem persists customer may have to have the dealership reflash/reset the stearing angle. We will reimburse the cost”. Any thought/comments/experience with this? Also, as you can see from pictures I still have the stock tires and wheels. Adding the bigger 265 tires next week with more pictures.

Attachments

• 37687A35-430F-4F07-81EE-B59B3DFD5D6C.jpeg
    37687A35-430F-4F07-81EE-B59B3DFD5D6C.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 63

palacios4

Reaction score
Hi-

Mark
I ran into the same issue on the 2” truxx lift with stock shocks ( non self leveling). I was driving on the highway and hit some uneven pavement and it sounded like I hit bottom. Rescheduled an appointment back with the installers to see what the problem might be.

Telly944

Reaction score
@Doc_T I am looking to go the same route with the front bumper, did you discuss sensor placement or removal? The place that did those SEMA builds is located in San Dimas. I am picking mine up beg of June so it will be easier to convince people that I am serious when I actually have the car. There is a shop in San Diego I am also going to reach out to and see what they can do, the fabrication is simple for any of the desert truck shops in San Diego or Orange county, just need to convince them of the follow on work.

nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners