No soliciting permitted.

Jeep Grand Cherokee L OR 22 Telluride SX NF Prestige

Shannonmarie22

Reaction score
I need to make a decision. I test drove the Jeep and it was so much fun to drive!! It felt like a beast. I love the Kia price tag but I also love the 6200 lb towing capacity the Jeep offers. I’d love to get a small travel trailer while my two kids are still young. Any thoughts? I will test drive Kia tonight.

MG535

Reaction score
I need to make a decision. I test drove the Jeep and it was so much fun to drive!! It felt like a beast. I love the Kia price tag but I also love the 6200 lb towing capacity the Jeep offers. I’d love to get a small travel trailer while my two kids are still young. Any thoughts? I will test drive Kia tonight.
I’d like to see the IIHS safety ratings for the GCL first. The GC performed poorly.

Bearicus23

Reaction score
GC seems to have a much better techwise, digital cluster and all... its preference on looks and what's important to you personally and how much you're willing to spend.

It appears you are already leaning toward the jeep. can't go wrong whichever vehicles speaks to you. we all have that first impression wow factor and specific taste.. sometime we already know the answer what we want ;)

Tride77

Reaction score
There is a Car Confections comparison of the 2 vehicles on YT if you’d like to see some side by side specs.

Alan

Reaction score
If features for price is a concern I think the mid-grade JGCL Limited is the closet trim at low 50k’s to the top trim Telluride SX-P. So they can compare on mid to lower trims but you can get close to 70k with the Jeep. Granted the Jeep in Overland and Summit Models is a bit more swanky than the Kia and of course being a Jeep is a lot more off-road capable if thats of interest. The Jeep also gets a strong V8 option at $3,200 extra on higher trims but poor fuel efficiency. I think the V6 option with the Kia is more peppy than the Jeep’s V6’s as it’s the longer and heavier vehicle of the two. The V6 Jeep has 6,200lbs towing ability and 7,200lbs with the V8 - Telluride is 5,000lbs with the 3.8 V6. Of course the Kia offers the much better warranty but supposedly Jeep are working hard in their new 1.6 Billion dollar plant to improve build reliability by implementing a lot more robots checking for quality control during assembly (at least that’s what I saw on a manufacturing video I watched!) The Kia has more space behind the third row and for the third row occupants but with all seats down they’re within three cubic feet space of each other. Looks are subjective but I think they both look good. The Jeep has the iconic 7-slot grill more slender and modern now and nice led lights front and rear. The Kia’s got that unmistakable stately front end with the signature drl and the water fall design rear led lights. Kia is 8-9 inches shorter and lighter so will should be a little more manageable and maneuverable around town. Bottom line I’d say the Kia is the better warranty and value overall but the Jeep is more capable and can be had with more tech features, engine choices, and higher grade leather on its higher trims but at a premium price! Good luck!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If features for price is a concern I think the mid-grade JGCL Limited is the closet trim at low 50k’s to the top trim Telluride SX-P. So they can compare on mid to lower trims but you can get close to 70k with the Jeep. Granted the Jeep in Overland and Summit Models is a bit more swanky than the Kia and of course being a Jeep is a lot more off-road capable if thats of interest. The Jeep also gets a strong V8 option at $3,200 extra on higher trims but poor fuel efficiency. I think the V6 option with the Kia is more peppy than the Jeep’s V6’s as it’s the longer and heavier vehicle of the two. The V6 Jeep has 6,200lbs towing ability and 7,200lbs with the V8 - Telluride is 5,000lbs with the 3.8 V6. Of course the Kia offers the much better warranty but supposedly Jeep are working hard in their new 1.6 Billion dollar plant to improve build reliability by implementing a lot more robots checking for quality control during assembly (at least that’s what I saw on a manufacturing video I watched!) The Kia has more space behind the third row and for the third row occupants but with all seats down they’re within three cubic feet space of each other. Looks are subjective but I think they both look good. The Jeep has the iconic 7-slot grill more slender and modern now and nice led lights front and rear. The Kia’s got that unmistakable stately front end with the signature drl and the water fall design rear led lights. Kia is 8-9 inches shorter and lighter so will should be a little more manageable and maneuverable around town. Bottom line I’d say the Kia is the better warranty and value overall but the Jeep is more capable and can be had with more tech features, engine choices, and higher grade leather on its higher trims but at a premium price! Good luck!
Forgot one, Jeep has Quadra-Lift Air Suspension system, Kia has less than optimal self-leveling shocks as an "upgrade" to the rear suspension.

The Jeep brand also has a plethora of aftermarket options and upgrades, the Kia Telluride isn't quite there yet.

I also haven't seen a side-by-side comparison, but I would guess that the Jeep Quadra-Drive II 4x4 System with Rear Electronic Limited-Slip Differential and the available Selec-Terrain Traction Management System is a more capable 4x4 over than the all-wheel drive system option for the Telluride that does not have a true locking differential.

If I were in the market right now and looking to spend low $50k's and get better towing capacity, it would be tough to not consider the 2022 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4WD. Looks like a serious contender to the Telluride. The outgoing AWD system on the Pathfinder looks similar to the Telluride where it activated when it detected front wheels slipping, the new 4WD system on the Pathfinder sounds more off-road ready.

Still love my Telluride, but I'm looking for even more from Kia in the future!

Last edited:

NDBlackEX

Reaction score
the new 4WD system on the Pathfinder sounds more off-road ready.
The Pathfinder does have the lowest ground clearance in class I believe. Only 7 inches. That's pretty much a half inch better than the Sienna minivan.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Pathfinder does have the lowest ground clearance in class I believe. Only 7 inches. That's pretty much a half inch better than the Sienna minivan.
I was thinking off-road or larger tires could get you to 8 inches on par with the Telluride. And a lift kit could get +2 or more. My intent was to point out the new 4WD in the Pathfinder vs the AWD in the Telluride might be better off-road and might offer better performance for regular road use.

Last edited:

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I never owned a Jeep brand vehicle but the reliability scares me- from what I read. I'm sure a lot have trouble free experiences.

Pathfinder and the GCL are definitely worth looking into when shopping these days. Early this year there wasn't anything that matched what Kia offered, now it's a more crowded segment.

NDBlackEX

Reaction score
I was thinking off-road or larger tires could get you to 8 inches on par with the Telluride. And a lift kit could get +2 or more. My intent was to point out the new 4WD in the Pathfinder vs the AWD in the Telluride might be better off-road and might offer better for regular road performance.
I get that, I'm just saying you can have the best 4x4 in the world but if you don't have any clearance, you're not going anywhere off road. Only as good off road as the sum of your parts.

I'm sure these things are somewhat viable on Minimum Maintenance roads and some light trails but those are just poor roads, not really off road.

I'm not trying to put anybody down for getting off the beaten or I guess paved path with their 3 row crossover, get out there and explore by all means! If you spend a lot of time in the dirt though, buy a RWD based SUV with a more realistic 4wd system and some clearance. If not, the Telluride/Pathfinder are much better values than the Jeep.

I will be checking the Jeep out though when I get a chance just because I test drive almost everything new that comes out.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I get that, I'm just saying you can have the best 4x4 in the world but if you don't have any clearance, you're not going anywhere off road. Only as good off road as the sum of your parts.

I'm sure these things are somewhat viable on Minimum Maintenance roads and some light trails but those are just poor roads, not really off road.

I'm not trying to put anybody down for getting off the beaten or I guess paved path with their 3 row crossover, get out there and explore by all means! If you spend a lot of time in the dirt though, buy a RWD based SUV with a more realistic 4wd system and some clearance. If not, the Telluride/Pathfinder are much better values than the Jeep.

I will be checking the Jeep out though when I get a chance just because I test drive almost everything new that comes out.
I understand. In terms of this discussion, most people in the market for a unibody 3 row SUV that fits in your garage and considering a Jeep are going to gravitate to the Jeep brand simply because of it's off-road prowess and notoriety. Most Jeep owners I know don't have a problem doing a little aftermarket upgrading to get what they need. The new Pathfinder has the potential to compete with the Telluride in these areas. As much as Kia likes to show a Telluride driving through the desert to find a lost dog or figures 8s in a mud patch, the driving modes and 4WD system in the new Pathfinder looks like an adversary. If you don't need off-road chops or larger towing, then the Jeep GC-L is probably overkill and overpriced for you and you would rule it out quick because you don't see the value in those options. In my opinion, Kia's value outshines Jeep as a family hauler in the price, size, seating, features compared to similar sized vehicles and powertrain warranty.

Last edited:

magicia3

Reaction score
Look at reliability on Consumer Report or JD Power and you'll run not walk away from the Jeep.

malogus

Reaction score
I traded in my Jeep (no a Grand Cherokee though) for a Telluride. Reliability left a lot to be desired with the Jeep brand overall. Only had 20,000 miles on it, and was in at the dealer at least 5 times, usually for 3-5 days each time.

The only Jeep I would own from here out would be something that was purpose built for off-roading. Then when I break it, it woudl be my fault.

irishbrahmin

Reaction score
I must say that the '22 GCL looks stunning.

I've owned 2 GC Summits - a '16 and '17 - 1 with the 3.6 and the other with the 5.7. Both had air suspension problems. One leaned; the other collapsed in subzero temps. Neither was really fixed to my satisfaction.

I haven't had to service my Kia yet but I found Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat service to be the worst that I've experienced.

Also, keep in mind that Jeep's 3/36 warranty.

NCBill

Reaction score
If I wanted something more off road capable, I'd just get a Toyota Land Cruiser. And I would rather have a one or two year old Land Cruiser (or five year old for that matter) than a brand new Jeep GC. Land Cruiser tow rating is over 8,000 pounds too.

Only reason I am getting a Telluride and not a Land Cruiser is this car is going to be my wife's car and on road vehicle. Comfort is king. If I was looking for something with off road chops, I'd get the Land Cruiser. If I could have two cars along side my truck, the other car would be the LC.

stanaka1

Reaction score
Feature for feature, the Telluride is the much better value, but if you're planning on going off road at all, I would get the GCL. If smooth dirt roads are in your future, then the Telluride will do just fine, just upgrade the tires if you're going to encounter mud or snow. There is no Trailhawk trim yet, so the closest you can get to it is the Off Road package and that requires the Overland trim level. Option it out to match the SX, you're looking at over 60k. That extra money is for the superior 4x4 hardware in the Jeep. The Jeep also has adjustable ride height (Overland and above) so it's easier to get in, then you can jack it up to 11 inches for water crossings. I have a 2 inch lift and it requires a little hop for me to get in, the kids have to go on belay and climb in. Of course test drive both. I recently sat in a GCL and found the seats to be more comfy than the Telluride.

jdaake07

Reaction score
I test drove a Grand Cherokee L Limited with the luxury package ($56-57K), I wasn’t overly impressed. I wanted to like it so badly, but there were many things I couldn’t get over. The wheel options are awful. The sunroof is lackluster. The digital gauge cluster wasn’t well laid out. There is gloss black everywhere on the dash. The absence of a high altitude package was the deal breaker for me.

I spent 3 hours at the dealer trying to like it and ultimately left to try and buy a second Telluride SX. I will say that I’m excited to see the new Grand Cherokee when it comes out. The dealer said they can order them in the next couple of weeks.

irishbrahmin

Reaction score
Despite what I said in post #14, I traded my Palisade in for a loaded '21 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland this past Saturday.

Let me explain.

I'd been thinking about trading out of the Pali for awhile. It's a great vehicle; very soft-riding, etc. But I started to feel that it was a bit blah. I like the Kia so much more. Reading that many Pali owners were getting top dollar, I decided to make my move.

I did a lot of research on the '21 JGC. I read every online review and watched nearly every YouTube review. Nearly everyone remarked about how it's much improved over the WK2. I also watched a video on Stellantis's rebuilding of the factory and attention to quality control. So I decided to move forward.

The next question was trim. All of my previous JGCs were Summits. Now the top trim levels are Overland, Summit, and Summit Reserve. Since I wanted the McIntosh sound system, that narrowed the choices down to either a loaded Overland or a Summit Reserve. I opted for a fully loaded Overland. The MSRP is 4k lower than the SR. I realized that the 3 main differences between the Overland and the SR (noise cancellation, self-parking, rear laminated glass), didn't really matter to me.

So I identified a few that I liked in Chicagoland and drove to the first dealership on my list. I set the bar pretty high -- if the JGC didn't knock my socks off I wouldn't proceed. But it did. The drive, interior quality, and attention to detail are truly amazing.

I got the JGC for 1.2% below invoice. The trade-in-value for the Pali was just $250 less that I paid for it. Initially the dealership asked for MSRP for the JGC and offered less for the Pali. But I let them know that I knew the market and would walk. So my final deal was $6k less than what was offered initially.

The Kia is my daily driver and the JGC is reserved for weekends and road trips.

I'm happy to answer questions!

magicia3

Reaction score
Despite what I said in post #14, I traded my Palisade in for a loaded '21 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland this past Saturday.

Let me explain.

I'd been thinking about trading out of the Pali for awhile. It's a great vehicle; very soft-riding, etc. But I started to feel that it was a bit blah. I like the Kia so much more. Reading that many Pali owners were getting top dollar, I decided to make my move.

I did a lot of research on the '21 JGC. I read every online review and watched nearly every YouTube review. Nearly everyone remarked about how it's much improved over the WK2. I also watched a video on Stellantis's rebuilding of the factory and attention to quality control. So I decided to move forward.

The next question was trim. All of my previous JGCs were Summits. Now the top trim levels are Overland, Summit, and Summit Reserve. Since I wanted the McIntosh sound system, that narrowed the choices down to either a loaded Overland or a Summit Reserve. I opted for a fully loaded Overland. The MSRP is 4k lower than the SR. I realized that the 3 main differences between the Overland and the SR (noise cancellation, self-parking, rear laminated glass), didn't really matter to me.

So I identified a few that I liked in Chicagoland and drove to the first dealership on my list. I set the bar pretty high -- if the JGC didn't knock my socks off I wouldn't proceed. But it did. The drive, interior quality, and attention to detail are truly amazing.

I got the JGC for 1.2% below invoice. The trade-in-value for the Pali was just $250 less that I paid for it. Initially the dealership asked for MSRP for the JGC and offered less for the Pali. But I let them know that I knew the market and would walk. So my final deal was $6k less than what was offered initially.

The Kia is my daily driver and the JGC is reserved for weekends and road trips.

I'm happy to answer questions!
Best of luck with your new vehicle.

nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners