No soliciting permitted.

Keeping organized/clean

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So I've been driving minivans forever, most recently my 08 Odyssey. In cleaning it out for the switchover-it will be one of my kids' car now- I found so much built up stuff from over the past 11 years. So many bins and pouches and cubbies! There were doodads and ickies we hadn't seen in years, literally! The Telly has far fewer and in different places. I'm curious what others have done to make best use of the space. We put the huge manual in the floor trunk thing along with our first aid kit, tool kit and emergency water bottles, and spare t.p. stash. I'm not used to having the deep bin in the armrest and picture it being a tangled mess of whatever. It's set back enough that it is sort of awkward to get into so I'd love some ideas of how you all keep that area useful. Also that little area up front with the phone charger spot. My commute to work is like 5 minutes, so I'd only use that potentially on weekends or trips. Do you just toss stuff in there or keep it empty to access the charger? I've always had a small trashcan, like bathroom size between the first and second row, right in the middle. The console in the Telly is both high enough and far enough back that that won't work for me. What do you do for a trash bin? My only suggestion so far to anyone else is get a swiffer duster, the extending handle kind and keep it in your driver door bin. I've done this for years! They extend out super quick and are great for a quick wipe down of the dash while you sit at a red light. Our Telly has a black interior so that dust will show up super fast I'm sure. I can't reach the back from the driver seat of course, but for a quick touch up it's so convenient. I ordered some hooks to hang over the bars that hold up the headrests, will put one up front to hang my purse from the passenger seat and will use the rest on the 3rd row facing back to the trunk to hang grocery bags.

Keena

Reaction score
For the console area, that's where I keep napkins, kleenex, hand sanitizer, a few pens, etc. This one is large enough that I just set a small box of kleenex down in. The other stuff I keep in ziploc bags.

John

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So I've been driving minivans forever, most recently my 08 Odyssey. In cleaning it out for the switchover-it will be one of my kids' car now- I found so much built up stuff from over the past 11 years. So many bins and pouches and cubbies! There were doodads and ickies we hadn't seen in years, literally! The Telly has far fewer and in different places. I'm curious what others have done to make best use of the space. We put the huge manual in the floor trunk thing along with our first aid kit, tool kit and emergency water bottles, and spare t.p. stash. I'm not used to having the deep bin in the armrest and picture it being a tangled mess of whatever. It's set back enough that it is sort of awkward to get into so I'd love some ideas of how you all keep that area useful. Also that little area up front with the phone charger spot. My commute to work is like 5 minutes, so I'd only use that potentially on weekends or trips. Do you just toss stuff in there or keep it empty to access the charger? I've always had a small trashcan, like bathroom size between the first and second row, right in the middle. The console in the Telly is both high enough and far enough back that that won't work for me. What do you do for a trash bin? My only suggestion so far to anyone else is get a swiffer duster, the extending handle kind and keep it in your driver door bin. I've done this for years! They extend out super quick and are great for a quick wipe down of the dash while you sit at a red light. Our Telly has a black interior so that dust will show up super fast I'm sure. I can't reach the back from the driver seat of course, but for a quick touch up it's so convenient. I ordered some hooks to hang over the bars that hold up the headrests, will put one up front to hang my purse from the passenger seat and will use the rest on the 3rd row facing back to the trunk to hang grocery bags.
The center console is elongated because of the rear seat cup holders which does make it more difficult if not impossible to access the rear floor area. I have found the rear cup holders very convenient for those solo coffee runs for the four people in the office, no more having to worry about spills when they are in the cardboard tray. Most of the time I drive solo so I move the passenger seat forward and hook a bag on the hook on the back of the seat for easy access to a trash bag.

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Late reply here as I'd been pondering and trying to find the right things to do what I want. Keena, I liked your idea of the ziploc bags and ended up getting several small zipper bags like you would use for makeup or as a pencil case. I have one with a notepad and pens, another with usb-c cables and another with micro usb cables. I just need to add a couple lightning cables. I used a small book shelf support to keep the zipper bags upright. Added a couple of the small wet wipes packs and little plastic jar to hold the extra ends for my magnetic phone cable. I keep the magnetic cable in the little cubby up front for attaching my phone when I want to use Android Auto. Would be nice not to need a cable for that, but this is fairly painless. I bought some hooks that are bendable (tough to bend but possible) putting two over the passenger seat headrest rods. One goes forward to hold my purse straps so it doesn't topple over spilling the contents, the other goes to the back seat to hold a neoprene (waterproof) lunch bag as a trash bag. They rotate out of the way with just a swipe. I put the other six hooks over the headrest rods on the third row to hold up grocery bags with the more squishable items like eggs and bread. I also added a bling ring around the start button and a prism to hang from the mirror to pretty things up. John mentioned the cup holders being convenient and they are, but even moreso when you can use them for something else. I'd forgotten I had some of the kleenex in a tube things in the past that fit in a cup holder so I'll try to find those again. I use that little square non cupholder thing up front to hold hand sanitizer and a bottle of eyeglass spray with a cloth.

In the little cubby in the trunk area I have our first aid kit, a waterproof picnic blanket, a tool kit, the manuals that came with the Telly, a roll of tp in a ziploc and a handful of water bottles.

John

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think you have it about covered. I added a fire extinguisher in that storage area in that back "cubby" and a whistle and glass breaker in the center console so it is accessible for everyone in the car. We live in a area with a lot of waterways and in some cases where there are serious drop offs so you may have to depend on yourself or someone in your car being the first responder.

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought the below cables for use by passengers. They are combo lightning, micro USB and USB-C. One in each front seat back pocket and one in the way back cup holders. Looking forward to my passengers’ reactions! 🤗

John

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought the below cables for use by passengers. They are combo lightning, micro USB and USB-C. One in each front seat back pocket and one in the way back cup holders. Looking forward to my passengers’ reactions! 🤗

That's a great idea.

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think you have it about covered. I added a fire extinguisher in that storage area in that back "cubby" and a whistle and glass breaker in the center console so it is accessible for everyone in the car. We live in a area with a lot of waterways and in some cases where there are serious drop offs so you may have to depend on yourself or someone in your car being the first responder.

Fire Extinguisher is a great idea! My husband lost a car to an engine fire a few years ago and somehow it never occurred to us to add one to our cars. I'll add the whistle and glass breaker too. Thanks so much!

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Wow, those are a clever item aren't they! Reminds me of riding in an Uber with all the cables available, although theirs was on a reel type setup so you couldn't walk away with them.

jarova

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So, my vehicle is a 2018 4Runner Off Road Premium. I'm all about getting it organized and was pleasantly surprised when we got "Hellie" of how much "clean" storage space there is. I've always said the winning combination would be a SUV with mini-van storage. And the Telluride is exactly that! The lower pocket in the very back houses a fire extinguisher, a fleece blanket, a beach blanket, various cloth grocery bags, a cooler bag, and a towel. Hand wipes are in cup holders. Pepper spray is laying in the arm of the driver's side door. Glovebox has manuals, napkins, and plastic utensils. Armrest storage is a plenty for all the other various things (pens, wipes, tissues, etc.) I like how everything is in a place and in keeping with what I feel is a very refined SUV.

And, those charging cables have been added to My List. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No problem on the charging cables idea. 😊 Just be sure you test each one. I had one of them with intermittent lightning connection. I messaged the seller and they sent me a new complete set for free. I don’t have any USB-C devices so hopefully they will work. It should be noted that these cables are charging only and not data capable.

John

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, those are a clever item aren't they! Reminds me of riding in an Uber with all the cables available, although theirs was on a reel type setup so you couldn't walk away with them.
You started a great thread. A lot of good ideas are being shared, as the saying goes "team work makes the dream work".

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
My tip would be to keep almost nothing in your car. Unless it’s something you’ll actually end up using. For me it’s a few charging cords, microfiber cloth to wipe the dash, and some eye drops and Tylenol etc. no organization needed!

Kbouman

Reaction score
Late reply here as I'd been pondering and trying to find the right things to do what I want. Keena, I liked your idea of the ziploc bags and ended up getting several small zipper bags like you would use for makeup or as a pencil case. I have one with a notepad and pens, another with usb-c cables and another with micro usb cables. I just need to add a couple lightning cables. I used a small book shelf support to keep the zipper bags upright. Added a couple of the small wet wipes packs and little plastic jar to hold the extra ends for my magnetic phone cable. I keep the magnetic cable in the little cubby up front for attaching my phone when I want to use Android Auto. Would be nice not to need a cable for that, but this is fairly painless. I bought some hooks that are bendable (tough to bend but possible) putting two over the passenger seat headrest rods. One goes forward to hold my purse straps so it doesn't topple over spilling the contents, the other goes to the back seat to hold a neoprene (waterproof) lunch bag as a trash bag. They rotate out of the way with just a swipe. I put the other six hooks over the headrest rods on the third row to hold up grocery bags with the more squishable items like eggs and bread. I also added a bling ring around the start button and a prism to hang from the mirror to pretty things up. John mentioned the cup holders being convenient and they are, but even moreso when you can use them for something else. I'd forgotten I had some of the kleenex in a tube things in the past that fit in a cup holder so I'll try to find those again. I use that little square non cupholder thing up front to hold hand sanitizer and a bottle of eyeglass spray with a cloth.

In the little cubby in the trunk area I have our first aid kit, a waterproof picnic blanket, a tool kit, the manuals that came with the Telly, a roll of tp in a ziploc and a handful of water bottles.
Can you show a picture of the hooks you use?