Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Kia’s Georgia assembly plant builds the Telluride with a single-minded focus: best-of-the-best quality

PL/OB Diego

Reaction score
Stuart Countess, is chief administrative officer (Quality Control) at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia—KMMG.

"A wonderment of KMMG’s computer planning is a white Telluride going down the assembly line in front of a blue Optima sedan and behind a red Sorento, a new model every 63 seconds, 24 hours, five days a week. That’s around 250,000 new Kias a year."

Tubaman

Reaction score
Love mine but, y’all forgot to check the tire pressure! 50 psi in all 4 of mine. I assume it makes it easier to roll one around the plant floor by hand?

Apex

Reaction score
Stuart Countess, is chief administrative officer (Quality Control) at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia—KMMG.

"A wonderment of KMMG’s computer planning is a white Telluride going down the assembly line in front of a blue Optima sedan and behind a red Sorento, a new model every 63 seconds, 24 hours, five days a week. That’s around 250,000 new Kias a year."
While I hope all that is true (because I'm waiting on my SXP) you have to take it with a grain of salt; it is "sponsored by Kia".

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tubaman

Reaction score
Tire pressure has been a theme with these. It seems Kia, which is quality obsessed, should have more contact/interaction with dealers. After all, from the consumer point of view, we can only judge our cars with our own 5 senses and no behind the scenes knowledge. I stopped at a gas station on my 3 hour return trip from dealer and bought a tire gauge to correct myself.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Tire pressure has been a theme with these. It seems Kia, which is quality obsessed, should have more contact/interaction with dealers. After all, from the consumer point of view, we can only judge our cars with our own 5 senses and no behind the scenes knowledge. I stopped at a gas station on my 3 hour return trip from dealer and bought a tire gauge to correct myself.
Every new car I've purchased in the last 5 years had it's tires inflated still at 50 when delivered. Lexus, Dodge, Ram, Jeep, Kia, and Audi. This is not Kia specific.

On the dealer side, in the good ole days dealers made a lot more money on each car. As such, they put a lot more effort and time into delivery prep. They would wax the exterior, condition the leather, etc...

Thanks in large part to the internet creating intense price competition, margins are much smaller and in-turn delivery prep is little to none.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
While I hope all that is true (because I'm waiting on my SXP) you have to take it with a grain of salt; it is "sponsored by Kia".
Yes, this article is a nice puff piece. Too bad we've heard of a plethora of issues on this forum.

critrider

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Interesting read, so there is NOT a dedicated Telluride line.

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@Tubaman the tires being inflated to 50 psi is keep the vehicles from being damaged when they are patched down on rail cars and trucks.

Your dealer should have reduced the psi prior to delivery. Your dealer prep failed you.

Same happened to mine. My tires were also overinflated (for factory / transportation purposes) but not adjusted correctly by the dealership. TPMS should report both under and over inflation (defeatable for those that really want to over inflate their tires)

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Imagine you are putting together a Sorrento for 50 minutes then you switch over to the Tellmeride for 30 minutes, then... switching all day long, wouldn’t you be confused AF?

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The tires are always over inflated as required for the train ride. You ship a car anywhere, you will be told to over inflate the tires. It does a few things. 1.) It makes the car more bouncy to take impacts. 2.)Makes the car easier to roll around the yards and on and off the trains. 3.) It helps keep the tires from getting damaged with changes in elevation and temperature.

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The tires are always over inflated as required for the train ride. You ship a car anywhere, you will be told to over inflate the tires. It does a few things. 1.) It makes the car more bouncy to take impacts. 2.)Makes the car easier to roll around the yards and on and off the trains. 3.) It helps keep the tires from getting damaged with changes in elevation and temperature.
Yup … but the dealer should adjust them down to recommended pressures at delivery time.

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey KR -

Assume that will continue when the next Optima and Sorento head into production (btw, will the next Sorento also be underpinned by the N3 platform? Understand if you can't divulge that info.).

The understanding is that KMMG reduced production of the Optima and/or Sorento to build more Tellurides; the AW article states current production at around 250k vehicles/yr, but isn't maximum capacity at KMMG around 340k/yr running 3 shifts and 2 Saturdays a month?

You think they will expand production to account for (hopefully) increase demand for the Optima and Sorento?

Kia Rocks!!

Reaction score
KMMG did not reduce production of the Sorento and Optima to build more Tellurides. We are maxed out on how many Tellurides we can make in a day. Not 1 more Telluride can be made more then we make now. This is based on the supplier base Not KMMG. The supplier base cannot supply any more parts per day then what we are doing right now. The Telluride was quoted from the beginning a lot lower then the Sorento and Optima. We cannot work Saturdays either. This would get use more Tellurides but also more Sorento and Optimas. The Telluride is the hottest seller right now. The Sorento and Optima are not. Once the revised Sorento and optima come into production. We should start build more of all 3 models and get closer to the higher capacity.

Kia Rocks!!

Reaction score
Imagine you are putting together a Sorrento for 50 minutes then you switch over to the Tellmeride for 30 minutes, then... switching all day long, wouldn’t you be confused AF?
It is not like that. Currently it is Sorento, Optima, Telluride. Over and over on the line.

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for clearing that up KR!

There have been posts where people were told that Optima and/or Sorento production had been reduced to build more Tellurides (and the understanding on limited parts supply was only for the captains chairs).

About the 2 Saturdays a month thing - that is what several auto publications had stated when KMMG is running at maximum capacity - 3 shifts, including 2 Saturdays a month, but it wouldn't be the first time auto journalists have been wrong.

I'm surmising that Telluride production pretty much replaced the previous production of the Santa Fe Sport for Hyundai.

Shame that corporate initially planned for too low production for the Telluride (Hyundai did the same for Palisade production in Korea).

Thought that they would have learned from their past mistakes (planned production not being able to keep up w/ demand for the Sportage, Tucson, Kona, etc.), esp. since both of them should have known that they had winners on their hands.

Last edited: