Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Kia July 2019 Sales: 4,559 Tellurides - DOWN 24%(!)

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Kia's July 2019 sales have been posted. I found it interested that July only recorded 4,559 Telluride sales - this is significantly down from their prior pace of around 6,000 - nearly 24% . Perhaps they did have to slow down production for various reasons as has been discussed on this forum. This has likely delayed orders even further, but perhaps they've fixed some initial problems?

Last edited:

bmkt

Reaction score
Does Kia shut down for a week in July? A dealer mentioned that but may have been a tactic.

ibmax

Reaction score
Is this lack of supply or customers shying away from paying over MSRP?
Definitely a lack of supply. General manager at my dealership is crying the blues. The Palisade however 3 blocks away has 10 on the lot. The difference, the Palisade is made in Korea and the tellie in GA. on the same line as Sorrento.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
July sales of competing 3-row crossovers (who still report monthly information - Ford, GM, FCA only report quarterly now)... July YTD the Pilot and CX-9 are really taking a beating in 2019! To a lesser extent the Highlander (2020 update announced) and the Q7.

In 1H2019 the Ford Explorer had taken the bulk of the downturn - sales down 20% - or more than 22,000 fewer vehicles sold Jan-June 2019 vs Jan-June 2018. Likely the 2020 redesign contributed to that too. The Atlas and the Ascent continue to sell well - no doubt with significant discounts to MSRP.

1564771427101.png

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Autotrader is showing only 1,029 Tellurides listed.

Something may have temporarily halted/slowed production or it could be more Tellurides being allocated for overseas as more markets start selling the Telluride.

Meanwhile, Autotrader is showing over 2k Palisade.

The Pilot, otoh, is showing 860 listed just within a 25 mile radius of NYC.

Truecar is showing a market avg. price of about $2,400 above MSRP for the SX.

Showing avg. savings of about $3,800 for the Pilot Elite and savings of about $2,600 for the Ascent Touring 7 passenger.

Last edited:

ibmax

Reaction score
Autotrader is showing only 1,029 Tellurides listed.

Something may have temporarily halted/slowed production or it could be more Tellurides being allocated for overseas as more markets start selling the Telluride.

Meanwhile, Autotrader is showing over 2k Palisade.

The Pilot, otoh, is showing 860 listed just within a 25 mile radius of NYC.

Truecar is showing a market avg. price of about $2,400 above MSRP for the SX.

Showing avg. savings of about $3,800 for the Pilot Elite and savings of about $2,600 for the Ascent Touring 7 passenger.
Hyundai is going to produce way more Palisade in Korea to pick up the slack. This is the future. Kia has limitations on the assembly line in GA., where they also make the sorrento. I say make less Sorrento's and more Tellies. My Dealer would agree.

NewMexico

Reaction score
According to an article published in May in Business Korea (I assume a trade publication), the Kia plant in GA has a capacity to produce 340,000 autos/annually and that the plant is running about 80% of capacity. It also said that Kia was only planning to make 50,000 Tellurides annually. The GA plant also makes the Optima but only the gas engine not the hybrid. A press release from Kia in February said they were planning to send about 3,000 Tellurides overseas. If these numbers are correct, that seems like alot of Optimas and Sorentos.

ibmax

Reaction score
Sounds right , the dealer said he could sell 3X's is allocation, answer, make more Tellies and less sorrentos, same engine and transmission, which would the public rather have?

Luvcats69

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've noticed that inventory is down in NOVA versus last month. Currently only 8 AWD EX in Nova/Maryland in an area with a population well over a couple of million.

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
According to an article published in May in Business Korea (I assume a trade publication), the Kia plant in GA has a capacity to produce 340,000 autos/annually and that the plant is running about 80% of capacity. It also said that Kia was only planning to make 50,000 Tellurides annually. The GA plant also makes the Optima but only the gas engine not the hybrid. A press release from Kia in February said they were planning to send about 3,000 Tellurides overseas. If these numbers are correct, that seems like alot of Optimas and Sorentos.
That 340k capacity is for running 3 shifts, including 2 Saturdays every month.

That's running at 80% capacity likely had to do w/ the plant

Last year Kia sold...

104,448 Optimas in the US and Canada (so let's say 100k minus the hybrid which isn't a big seller).

120,379 Sorentos in the US and Canada.

So that makes roughly 220.4k for combined Optima and Sorento sales.”

Add the initial planned 50k Telluride production and that gets you to around 270k - which is roughly 80% of 340k.

The plant should also be supplying the Mexican market, where Kia in a short period, has become major player, but don't have access to Mexican sales figures.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if the plant supplied Sorentos to the Middle East markets.

Prior to adding the Telluride, the GA plant built the previous gen Santa Fe (Sport) for Hyundai - which sold 154,786 in the US and Canada.

Take out the 3-row (XL) and that would still be above 100k.

Replacing the production of the Santa Fe (Sport) w/ that of the Telluride (which was about half the production) can explain the drop down to 80% of production capacity.

Last edited:

joey_baccala

Reaction score
I've noticed that inventory is down in NOVA versus last month. Currently only 8 AWD EX in Nova/Maryland in an area with a population well over a couple of million.
I just ordered an SWP/SXP yesterday from Kia of West Nyack (NY) and they currently have 11 in stock (No SXP, LX, S, and EX) with another 8 being delivered the 23rd of this month (with 3 of them being SXP's)

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Jdgate

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I just ordered an SWP/SXP yesterday from Kia of West Nyack (NY) and they currently have 11 in stock (No SXP, LX, S, and EX) with another 8 being delivered the 23rd of this month (with 3 of them being SXP's)
They have 11 SX in stock and 3 SXP's coming in not spoken for? I hate to ask but what kind of Markup above MSRP are they charging. Anywhere else at MSRP those vehicles would be gone.

Lazer

Reaction score
They have 11 SX in stock and 3 SXP's coming in not spoken for? I hate to ask but what kind of Markup above MSRP are they charging. Anywhere else at MSRP those vehicles would be gone.
One of those SX's is mine. I ordered June 26 from West Nyack and it is supposed to be in late August