No soliciting permitted.

• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Telluride drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

KIA Leaving Money on the Table - No Bench SX

HillCountry

Reaction score
I prefer the bench over the captains chairs. Only once in a blue moon do I actually have people in the 3rd row, so that is 99% of the time lowered. Now if you transport anything such as groceries from the supermarket or Costco, that gap in the middle of the 7 seater would create a problem where the stuff would roll out from the back, no? With the bench, this is not a problem.
Projectiles from the back could be a problem!

Lancero

Reaction score
The fact is, KIA DID leave money on the table with me, and in talking with others, they've done the same several times.

To clarify, they are not LOSING money. However, they are leaving money on the table. There is a difference, but that's what they are doing.

I can't buy a bench on the SX, which I would have purchased. Thus KIA was not able to get another $2k or so from me... I'm not alone in wanting this (state-side). Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 2019 models did NOT have a bench option on the EX or the SX, correct? In 2020, they added a bench to the base EX as standard? Hopefully they will do so for the SX in 2021? We'll see..

Yup, Kia is losing money with me as well because they won't offer the S trim with a bench to lure me from the competition (Pathfinder 2022 SL).

SBUBandit

Reaction score
Thinking about it more, Hyundai is leaving money on the table. With this new automotive chip shortage that is impacting Ford and Chevy production, Hyundai could add a bench to the top trim Palisade. Hyundai and Kia stock piled anticipating a shortage for their supply chain while other manufacturers didn’t. The Telluride is probably at or very close to max production but the Palisade is assembled in a larger capacity plant. So if they did offer a high end 8 seater they might be able to steal some Chevy and Ford market share if the SUV production numbers slip.
I thought the bench was a zero cost option on the Palisade regardless of trim? Edit, I see now The top two tiers don't get the option of bench

NCBill

Reaction score
KIA is sold out. Where they are leaving money on the table is holding the MSRP relatively low, and then many dealers add dealer markup above that. KIA has decided as a strategy to offer very few options, and very few color combinations, without buying specific models. Its a strategy that saves on manufacturing cost and complexity, and apparently they are doing quite well with this strategy.

Meanwhile, if you buy an F150, there are FIVE engine choices (maybe its six), there are six different body configurations, on and on it goes. They continue to struggle with quality. They might want to take a page from the Asian car manufacturers. For instance, Toyota Tundra comes with only ONE engine, and two body configurations, and one rear end gearing, on and on. Might have something to do with their high quality.

G

G-479755

The fact is, KIA DID leave money on the table with me, and in talking with others, they've done the same several times.

To clarify, they are not LOSING money. However, they are leaving money on the table. There is a difference, but that's what they are doing.

I can't buy a bench on the SX, which I would have purchased. Thus KIA was not able to get another $2k or so from me... I'm not alone in wanting this (state-side). Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 2019 models did NOT have a bench option on the EX or the SX, correct? In 2020, they added a bench to the base EX as standard? Hopefully they will do so for the SX in 2021? We'll see..
I had a 2020 (first year) Telluride with a bench seat. Our salesperson made it sound like they made a decent amount of 2020 EXs with a bench seat but in 2021 they moved away from that to just do Captain seats

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a 2020 (first year) Telluride with a bench seat. Our salesperson made it sound like they made a decent amount of 2020 EXs with a bench seat but in 2021 they moved away from that to just do Captain seats
2020 EX was exclusively with a bench on US models. I think in 2021 they introduced the EX with Premium package that changed the second row to captains chairs. I thought non Premium EX were still a bench. For a brief time there was a bench option on the S.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
2020 EX was exclusively with a bench on US models. I think in 2021 they introduced the EX with Premium package that changed the second row to captains chairs. I thought non Premium EX were still a bench. For a brief time there was a bench option on the S.
Just rewind to my post from nearly a year ago for all the info.

isoleeted

Reaction score
It's difently a US market thing, where I'm from Captain chairs are not commen so the telluride top spec is offered in both bench and captain chairs, the only difference is the Captain chairs model comes with:
* nappa leather (this might be why, preimum adds nappa and they can only offer nappa on bench seats)
* ventelated 2nd row
* sued headliner
For an added cost of around $1500

I saw the reservasion while I was booking mine and the bench had 4 to 8 on each color where the Captain had a single reservasion on 3 different colors.

Can post the dealer's spec sheet if anyone is interested.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It's difently a US market thing, where I'm from Captain chairs are not commen so the telluride top spec is offered in both bench and captain chairs, the only difference is the Captain chairs model comes with:
* nappa leather (this might be why, preimum adds nappa and they can only offer nappa on bench seats)
* ventelated 2nd row
* sued headliner
For an added cost of around $1500

I saw the reservasion while I was booking mine and the bench had 4 to 8 on each color where the Captain had a single reservasion on 3 different colors.

Can post the dealer's spec sheet if anyone is interested.
Agreed, Captains chairs appear to be an American favorite “luxury” but not in other markets where the bench is preferred. But large SUVs are also an American thing so people may be more apt to go bigger if they want more seating rather than get a bench. That said the Captains chairs are what sold me on the S and I’m a US buyer. Having driven a Suzuki microbus with 8 seats in another country, you aren’t that bad with an 8 seat Telluride. You just have to be mindful of more passenger weight and less cargo space in that second row.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!