Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Kia Reliability? Thinking about the Telluride

TrevorNoah

Reaction score
In the market for an AWD 3 row vehicle. Have 3 kids. Have a long gravel drive way that can be treacherous in the winter so have been looking a mid-sized AWD SUVs.

Have narrowed it down to the Kia Telluride, VW Atlas, or Mazda CX-9.

We looked at the Subaru Ascent, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander as well. In the end we liked them about as much as Mazda. I have owned two Mazda's over the past 15 years and had no problems with them so trust their reliability.https://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://192168ll.onl/

Overall we like the Kia and VW the most. They seemed the roomiest and we liked the styling the most. The Telluride seems to pack in a ton of features for the money. It feels like the other car's premium models, but for under $40k.

My concern is over reliability. I understand that there is a risk on any first year model and there maybe some recalls and issues. How is Kia's reliability overall? I have never even considered a Kia in the past. I am hesitant on the VW Atlas because of poor past reliability from VW.

The Kia and VW both offer better extended warranties, which I suppose may mitigate some of the risks. Am I crazy for considering the Kia Telluride?

Last edited:

VB-VA

Reaction score
@TrevorNoah, I was too in your shoes a month ago. We have a daughter that’s in college and needed a car and my wife’s Xterra (7 years old) was looking to be a good fit for her. We wanted a 3 row so when family visits we can all take 1 car.
I looked at the Highlander, CX-9, Honda Pilot and the Telluride.
Consumer reports ranks Kia 3rd overall in quality as a manufacturer. In the July edition they gave it a 90 and had great things to say about it (Consumer Reports).
Kia was never on my radar but after test driving all of the competition and then the Telluride, I was blown away with the fit and finish + bang for your buck. In life there are choices, but I believe KIA will come out strong with this vehicle and I’m proud I can say I was here at the start 👍.

Last edited:

Kirkster

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm with jazzyone on the VW. They have had a lot of issues with the Atlas. The cx-9 is a great choice, but cargo capacity is not its strongest suit. I drove them all too and orded te kia.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Atlas exterior is really not attractive unless you get the R-line package. The interior looks like it was designed by IKEA as its far to minimalist and just looks kinda cheap. VW reliability is a joke despite the decent warranty I wouldn’t risk it. The size is really it’s only redeeming quality imo.

The CX9 is awesome as it drives great, looks great, and the interior and exterior are fantastic assuming you opt for the GT or Signature trim. There is also a great deal of options available at the lower trims like the Bose system, rain sensing wipers, hud, and 20” rims. The big compromises you make with the CX9 are the tiny rear seat and cargo area, need to use premium fuel for max HP, and the need to go to the GT to get the chrome bumper trim (the touring and sport just look awful without it).

The Telluride has the interior quality of the CX9 and the size of the Atlas, and the exterior design that is unmatched in the segment as well as reliability comparable to Honda. It also has the driver aids and safety comparable to Subaru and an unmatched ride quality and comfort at an outstanding price. You really can’t go wrong with the Telluride assuming you can find one!

kjh8sfk23r8

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Buckeye is spot on, I will say the one thing I like about the Subaru Eyesight is it will come to a complete stop and start again no matter what road you're on. In the telly you have to press accelerator or resume cruise control if you are not on a highway (HDA). however, I recently had a brand new subaru outback loaner and it was pretty meh. Everything binged and bonged and it doesn't really drive itself, only does lane keep assist. The Kia smart cruise control is amazing and does really well at keeping the car centered.

I was also torn between the Atlas, but the Telluride's interior is many steps above the Atlas. It feels luxury when you sit in it. Even the top of the line Atlas still feel like econoboxes.

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Buckeye is spot on, I will say the one thing I like about the Subaru Eyesight is it will come to a complete stop and start again no matter what road you're on. In the telly you have to press accelerator or resume cruise control if you are not on a highway (HDA).
You noticed the "undocumented" feature of HDA too? That's what I noticed too. It doesn't matter how long the traffic stops in front of you, on a highway with HDA, the Telly will automatically follow the lead vehicle. With LFA and HDA, it is fantastic in bumper to bumper traffic!

Without HDA, the Telly will also stop then automatically go if the front car moves within 3 seconds. Otherwise you'll have to manually intervene to get the Telly moving again.

"However, if the vehicle stops for more than 3 seconds, you must depress the accelerator pedal or push up the toggle switch (RES+) or push down the toggle switch (SET-) to start driving" Section 5-82 in the owners manual.