No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Kia Telluride Concerns

Doc

Reaction score
I have been searching multiple web sites for a few weeks now because of my interest about the 2021 Telluride. I have narrowed my search to the Toyota Highlander and the Telluride, primarly because of the Consumer Report ratings. I have read owner accounts (assuming they are legitimate) of a plethora of different minor and major complaints. Now I am concerned that Kia has a manufacturing quality control problem in addition to the lack of prompt and adequate response by dealerships to those problems. From what I have read, many of the problems are those pesky 'nickle and dime' problems of annoyances. Also some major problems, particularly with the cooling systems, which concerns me. I cannot comprehend why Consumer Reports rates the Telluride over the Highlander if the owners of the Telluride have experienced so many problems. I shall continue to follow the discussions on this site and do further research from every available source.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have been searching multiple web sites for a few weeks now because of my interest about the 2021 Telluride. I have narrowed my search to the Toyota Highlander and the Telluride, primarly because of the Consumer Report ratings. I have read owner accounts (assuming they are legitimate) of a plethora of different minor and major complaints. Now I am concerned that Kia has a manufacturing quality control problem in addition to the lack of prompt and adequate response by dealerships to those problems. From what I have read, many of the problems are those pesky 'nickle and dime' problems of annoyances. Also some major problems, particularly with the cooling systems, which concerns me. I cannot comprehend why Consumer Reports rates the Telluride over the Highlander if the owners of the Telluride have experienced so many problems. I shall continue to follow the discussions on this site and do further research from every available source.
90,000 have been built... and a few hundred problems is not statistically significant, but it is significant to those few hundred owners. Anyway, being in your 8th decade, maybe you just want to stick with the Highlander. Better yet, get an MDX - my father loves his.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
I am one that also waited on the sidelines to see some reliability data start to come out. The Telluride is based on other good solid tech used in other H/K/G vehicles. And as others have said - 90K have been produced and the vehicle has now been in production for over a year. Plus if you have issues - the KIA has a better bumper to bumper and power train warranty than Honda or Toyota. For me - the Highlander is too small and cramped in the 2nd and 3rd row. Plus - the Highlander looks dated. The Telluride has the look of a much more premium vehicle and has an interior that is practically better than Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Toyota, Honda, VW, Subaru.

That said - I have a Telluride SXP on order and will proudly join the KIA family this summer.

Last edited:

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@Doc , if there was a manufacturing quality control problem with the Telluride (which there is not), they wouldn't be flying off the shelf the way they are. Six months and 15,000+ miles and not a single problem on our SX-P.....

My wife and I have owned over 100 vehicles between us: The 2020 Telluride is among the very best in initial quality and value of any we've had. Heck, my Mercedes S550 ($115k sticker) with less than 36,000 miles on it has been in for warranty work 4 days in the last 3 months while the Telly ($48k sticker) has 0 days in shop so far.....

Doc

Reaction score
I am one that also waited on the sidelines to see some reliability data start to come out. The Telluride is based on other good solid tech used in other H/K/G vehicles. And as others have said - 90K have been produced and the vehicle has now been in production for over a year. Plus if you have issues - the KIA has a better bumper to bumper and power train warranty than Honda or Toyota. For me - the Highlander is too small and cramped in the 2nd and 3rd row. Plus - the Highlander looks dated. The Telluride has the look of a much more premium vehicle and has an interior that is practically better than Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Toyota, Honda, VW, Subaru.

That said - I have a Telluride SXP on order and will proudly join the KIA family this summer.
I haven written the Telluride off, and still may purchase a 2021. I just thought that some of the complaints by owners (not verified) waved a red flag of concern. I read many complaints about dealers who allegedly ignored or did not give a plausible explanation for the problem or a solution to the problem. I will continue to monitorboth vehicles. I am not interested in the flowing lines, dual exhausts, or the many other 'nice to have' things most people in the commercials and demonstrators (many paid) have to say about the vehicle. Thanks for your reply.

Doc

Reaction score
@Doc , if there was a manufacturing quality control problem with the Telluride (which there is not), they wouldn't be flying off the shelf the way they are. Six months and 15,000+ miles and not a single problem on our SX-P.....

My wife and I have owned over 100 vehicles between us: The 2020 Telluride is among the very best in initial quality and value of any we've had. Heck, my Mercedes S550 ($115k sticker) with less than 36,000 miles on it has been in for warranty work 4 days in the last 3 months while the Telly ($48k sticker) has 0 days in shop so far.....
I am just writing what I have read from alleged owners of the vehicle. I know how people rationalize about the vehicle they own; it is the greatest automobile on the planet until they no longer own the 'lemon' they just sold. BTW, I wouldn't buy a Mercedes for quality of workmanship. BTW, many American made vehicles 'fly off the shelf' albeit their reliability record is terrible. I just want to be sure before I invest $40K+ on a vehicle to replace my 2019 Camry XSE V6, which is a reliable automobile. I need to cargo room of a SUV. Thanks for your input.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
I haven written the Telluride off, and still may purchase a 2021. I just thought that some of the complaints by owners (not verified) waved a red flag of concern. I read many complaints about dealers who allegedly ignored or did not give a plausible explanation for the problem or a solution to the problem. I will continue to monitorboth vehicles. I am not interested in the flowing lines, dual exhausts, or the many other 'nice to have' things most people in the commercials and demonstrators (many paid) have to say about the vehicle. Thanks for your reply.
If you have written the Telluride off - why come here and voice concerns?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Doc

Reaction score
If you have written the Telluride off - why come here and voice concerns?
Obviously one should have concerns before making a final decision. i didn't post my comments to entertain a confrontation....the facts will suffice. What would you like for me to say? Thanks for your comment.

Brf

Reaction score
I bought one of first 2011 Sorentos out of the Georgia plant, serial #22xx. Had it till my Telluride came in middle of December and no major problems. My son, big Ford man, asked if I would sell him my Sorento. I have seen nothing posted on here which would make me think they are more or less dependable than any new car. I have had many cars since my 51 ford, fords, chevys, Subaru’s and none of them compare to the Telluride. Never had a BMW or Mercedes to compare with.

Doc

Reaction score
I think he meant to write "haven't"

But, you're right, generic "Concerns" messages are not really helpful.
Thank you. My new mechanical keyboard didn't work as my old one. Yes, I meant Haven't. I wasn't asking for 'generic' concerns, just some chatter from others. I shall sort the 'wheat from the chaff' later.

Ciscokd2000

Reaction score
90,000 have been built... and a few hundred problems is not statistically significant, but it is significant to those few hundred owners. Anyway, being in your 8th decade, maybe you just want to stick with the Highlander. Better yet, get an MDX - my father loves his.
I understand your concern but being a new vehicle , having the demand issue and not having many issues . I feel the Kia telluride is an amazing vehicle . Now let look at the competition like the Ford explorer it a new vehicle for 2020 and from the beginning they ( Ford ) has had manufacturer issue and production issue . The issues are transmission , frame issue, interior quality , the price and etc. Ford can't sell them either because of the consumer complaints . Customer s of other vehicles are taking a second look at the Kia brand because of the telluride . I have friends who have BMW , Mercedes and infinity trading their vehicles in for the Kia telluride .

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I am just writing what I have read from alleged owners of the vehicle. I know how people rationalize about the vehicle they own; it is the greatest automobile on the planet until they no longer own the 'lemon' they just sold. BTW, I wouldn't buy a Mercedes for quality of workmanship. BTW, many American made vehicles 'fly off the shelf' albeit their reliability record is terrible. I just want to be sure before I invest $40K+ on a vehicle to replace my 2019 Camry XSE V6, which is a reliable automobile. I need to cargo room of a SUV. Thanks for your input.
No matter which mode of decision theory one employs, the Kia Telluride is a high quality and reliable vehicle. It's just that good

Doc

Reaction score
I understand your concern but being a new vehicle , having the demand issue and not having many issues . I feel the Kia telluride is an amazing vehicle . Now let look at the competition like the Ford explorer it a new vehicle for 2020 and from the beginning they ( Ford ) has had manufacturer issue and production issue . The issues are transmission , frame issue, interior quality , the price and etc. Ford can't sell them either because of the consumer complaints . Customer s of other vehicles are taking a second look at the Kia brand because of the telluride . I have friends who have BMW , Mercedes and infinity trading their vehicles in for the Kia telluride .

Doc

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I definitely am still interested in the Telluride. CR rates it a #1 vehicle for a reason, and I usually go with their research data. I Probably won't be buying until next year, unless I am fortunate enough to grab a 2020 for a great price.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I definitely am still interested in the Telluride. CR rates it a #1 vehicle for a reason, and I usually go with their research data. I Probably won't be buying until next year, unless I am fortunate enough to grab a 2020 for a great price.
Great price on a 2020 = MSRP or the Costco discount if your dealer offers that. But if you want an SXP - will need to get an order in now!!

Boonedoggle

Reaction score
I have owned three cars in the last 30 years, a Toyota forerunner, a range rover sport, and now the Telluride. I loved my forerunner for the reliablity. A true appliance that got me from a-z every time. But not much luxury.

I loved my range rover for the luxury, speed, technology. I did not love the associated repair costs and high frequency of repairs required. I did a lot of research before landing on the Telluride. I never envisioned that I would ever in my life own a Kia. I can honestly say that it is the best of breed. It brings together the luxury and technology and reliability.

I'm not sure how you can question consumer reports ratings when the manufacturer itself is offering 100,000 mile warranty. In fact, the dealer I purchased mine from backs the drivetrain and transmission warranty for life as long as I am in the vehicle. If that doesn't give you confidence I don't know what would.
Respectfully submitted. Good luck with your decision.