No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Kia Telluride twin turbo V6 a possibility?

Promethus78

Reaction score
As many have said before. Probably not in the near term.
1. Would likely require significant drive train rework to make it "work"
2. KIA probably ain't changing nothing until it gets this order back log under control
3. The price would move up

With that being said, keep hope alive, we are just a bunch of folks speculating on a forum. Mooooooooore Power!!

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
There is a company already working on the Telluride and have an exhaust, intakes, and tune for it in the works. So far they have upped horsepower and torque both by 40..

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
What are we??? a bunch of Tim Taylors??? We new what our engines were spec'd at before we threw down the money. If power was an issue...maybe a different brand??? Or...maybe wait until KIA did the R&D to put in a different drive train... maybe like the BORREGO with a V8??? KIA and Hyundai does have a stable of V8s... Genesis... K900??? Who knows....aruhhhh aruhhh aruhhh. BUT.... are you ready to kick up the $$$$$$$? I do have a hunch that both KIA and Hyundai are setting back and kicking themselves for not tacking on more $$$ on the MSRP... If that is their plan... this is the LAST that I buy from them...we will see the cost of the 2021 models....

kane

Reaction score
I think it will be called Kia Telluride SX Turbo.
This will take on the likes of Dodge Durango SRT and Ford Explorer ST.
It will be powered 3.3 twin turbo V6. They have similar engines on Stinger, G80 Sport and K900.
Let us see when it gets finalized as people do have complaints regarding Low HP and poor pick up. The above upgrade will make it 5.5 seconds than current 7.7 seconds.

kane

Reaction score
What are we??? a bunch of Tim Taylors??? We new what our engines were spec'd at before we threw down the money. If power was an issue...maybe a different brand??? Or...maybe wait until KIA did the R&D to put in a different drive train... maybe like the BORREGO with a V8??? KIA and Hyundai does have a stable of V8s... Genesis... K900??? Who knows....aruhhhh aruhhh aruhhh. BUT.... are you ready to kick up the $$$$$$$? I do have a hunch that both KIA and Hyundai are setting back and kicking themselves for not tacking on more $$$ on the MSRP... If that is their plan... this is the LAST that I buy from them...we will see the cost of the 2021 models....
Maybe you are right but automakers will keep innovating. That's how these automakers remain competitive in the market. After SUV craze the next craze will be performance SUV.
As of now only performance and better handling which the consumers get is through sedans only.
Until now there is no one complete performance SUV. Explorer though tried it with rear drive module but still handling is an issue. I test drove it. There is a noticeable body roll at sharp corners.
Let's hope these companies keep innovating until they come out with a SUV which performs like a sedan in terms of handling and reliability and fuel efficiency.

Promethus78

Reaction score
I think the extra $$$ to switch the Telluride to a rear bias platform to accommodate the 3.3 would make the Telluride and less appetizing option. Plus, although there would certainly be some takers, I have to think it would be a non-necessity for the telluride target demographic. I think Kia would just try to squeeze some more power out of the existing Engine at mid-cycle refresh time.

Reaction score
Perhaps we will see a performance oriented hybrid rather than a turbocharged version?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

kane

Reaction score
Perhaps we will see a performance oriented hybrid rather than a turbocharged version?
I think it would be turbocharged as Hyundai is yet to make an impact on hybrid . Sonata Hybrid is still not so popular with the consumers

SorentoSXL

Reaction score
The new Genesis crossover will be that vehicle.

The Telluride and Palisade are FWD based platforms with transverse engine designs. The 3.3T is currently only for longitudinal installations. The cost to turn the engine 90 degrees would not be cheap. Also, doing this would cut power due to airflow restrictions and we don't even know if the FWD version of the 8 speed auto could handle that much torque. Likewise, the entire AWD system would probably have to be re-worked and/or scrapped to deal with the extra torque and utilizing the rear axle more often than it does not. Feeding 350+ pound feet primarily through the front wheels will not be as fun as some of you seem to think. Ford tried it with the old Explorer and current Edge ST and GM tried it with the XTS V Sport. None were great experiences.

The Telluride works because of its value proposition. Adding $10k for a one off variant that would probably sell in super small numbers doesn't compute to me.

Last edited:

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think it will be called Kia Telluride SX Turbo.
This will take on the likes of Dodge Durango SRT and Ford Explorer ST.
It will be powered 3.3 twin turbo V6. They have similar engines on Stinger, G80 Sport and K900.
Let us see when it gets finalized as people do have complaints regarding Low HP and poor pick up. The above upgrade will make it 5.5 seconds than current 7.7 seconds.
Don't know where you got 0-60 in 7.7 at../ everywhere I've seen has 7.0-7.3