No soliciting permitted.

KIA Telluride Warranty Information

Frankie Knuckles

Reaction score
I am a little embarrassed to write this, but I was thinking that the kia warranty plastered everywhere:
  • 10-year/100,000-mile limited Kia powertrain warranty
  • 5-year/60,000-mile limited basic warranty
  • 5-year/100,000-mile limited anti-perforation warranty
  • 5-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance plan
was just included in the price of the vehicle. I've never purchased a new vehicle, and am just now buying an EX AWD this Saturday. I currently drive a 14 year old Acura MDX with 250k miles on it so the warranty is long gone on that one. We are buying out of state and the dealer told my husband over the phone that the warranty was $3k+ for anything after the 3yr/36,000 mile one. (Which I still don't have details about.) Can someone please explain the warranty situation to me? I feel so stupid thinking it was included!

We aren't planning to keep this car for more than 3 years or so and then planning to trade up. So I'm not sure what the best route would be. TIA!
If you plan on trading up at 3 years, there is no need for a warranty. Everything is covered for three years, bumper to bumper.

keg

Reaction score
Agreed! My husband is out of town so they called him to quickly run over things financially, but I'm the one running the whole deal. He told them no to that, but I will be prepared going into tomorrow's phone conversation before they overnight the paperwork. I don't understand why that would be an extra cost. It should totally be under the 5yr/60k umbrella. Thanks to all for your help!

There is the warranty Kia provides on the new vehicle, which you listed in your post. The extended warranty people buy is in addition to the Kia warranty. It "extends" coverage beyond the Kia limits. The Kia warranty covers the electronics for 3 years/36,000 miles. The extended warranties extend that to 10 years, depending on the contract. If you aren't planning to keep the vehicle longer than three years, I wouldn't invest in an extended warranty. We run our vehicles until they fall apart, so we bought an extended warranty for it, and bought it from a dealer that includes a lifetime warranty on the powertrain. If you think you are interested in an extended warranty, Kia of Muncie, IN appears to be offering the best price. Search this forum for specifics and contact info.

shawntoneill

Reaction score
I bought an extended warranty for my 2020 Telluride... it only comes with 3/36,000. I paid 2,500 for the warranty that is good for 10yrs/100k miles. 100$ deductible
I also paid 299. for some express/code/etch/security theft agreement good for 3 years, that was on the car when I purchased it and therefore required to buy it.
I am retired, but take roadtrips. I average 1,000 miles a month. should I cancel the warranty?

Lith_SXPN

Reaction score
I bought an extended warranty for my 2020 Telluride... it only comes with 3/36,000. I paid 2,500 for the warranty that is good for 10yrs/100k miles. 100$ deductible
I also paid 299. for some express/code/etch/security theft agreement good for 3 years, that was on the car when I purchased it and therefore required to buy it.
I am retired, but take roadtrips. I average 1,000 miles a month. should I cancel the warranty?
Muncie Kia in Indiana sells 10y/100k with $0 deductible for $1478. If you are within 30 days of purchase, I would get a refund and buy from Muncie. Unfortunately, you can't do anything about vin etching at this point.

shawntoneill

Reaction score
Muncie Kia in Indiana sells 10y/100k with $0 deductible for $1478. If you are within 30 days of purchase, I would get a refund and buy from Muncie. Unfortunately, you can't do anything about vin etching at this point.
thank you! It's been over 30 days. I took delivery in July but will call Muncie just in case

Lith_SXPN

Reaction score
thank you! It's been over 30 days. I took delivery in July but will call Muncie just in case
I think after 30 or 60 days, you get a prorated amount back in refund.

mdanbom

Reaction score
A lot of great info shared on this topic -- thanks! I want to make sure I understand the Platinum package correctly. With this Platinum warranty package, the 3/36k warranty that is "bumper to bumper" that includes the electronics as well as the 5/60k limited basic warranty all get extended to the 10/100k warranty. The work can be done at any Kia dealership as well. I get all of that right?

I’ve never owned a Kia so I’m not as familiar with what kinds of problems I should expect past warranty. I’ve owned Toyotas that never really had problems and BMW’s that I know better to keep past warranty.

Is the general thought that something electronic (audio, cameras, etc…) would likely break post warranty and this Platinum warranty is a no brainer and worth the cost?

I’m scheduled to pick up my Telluride next week.

Thanks!

Mike

Lith_SXPN

Reaction score
A lot of great info shared on this topic -- thanks! I want to make sure I understand the Platinum package correctly. With this Platinum warranty package, the 3/36k warranty that is "bumper to bumper" that includes the electronics as well as the 5/60k limited basic warranty all get extended to the 10/100k warranty. The work can be done at any Kia dealership as well. I get all of that right?

I’ve never owned a Kia so I’m not as familiar with what kinds of problems I should expect past warranty. I’ve owned Toyotas that never really had problems and BMW’s that I know better to keep past warranty.

Is the general thought that something electronic (audio, cameras, etc…) would likely break post warranty and this Platinum warranty is a no brainer and worth the cost?

I’m scheduled to pick up my Telluride next week.

Thanks!

Mike
You're correct. Most, except exclusion, items will be covered for 10y/100k. Extended coverage is usually not recommended purchase and I am mostly against it. I did not buy one for my current Kia, but think I will buy one for telly at $1500. I will think of it as peace-of-mind insurance at ~$215/yr($1500/7). It makes sense to me as I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Frankie Knuckles

Reaction score
You're correct. Most, except exclusion, items will be covered for 10y/100k. Extended coverage is usually not recommended purchase and I am mostly against it. I did not buy one for my current Kia, but think I will buy one for telly at $1500. I will think of it as peace-of-mind insurance at ~$215/yr($1500/7). It makes sense to me as I plan to keep the car for a long time.
I think it makes a whole lot of sense if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. I did not purchase because I do not plan on keeping it beyond 5 years. Since that is the case, I would have to wager 1478.00 for year 4 and year 5 for the electronics coverage. I just will gamble and assume the risk for those two years.

Lith_SXPN

Reaction score
I think it makes a whole lot of sense if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. I did not purchase because I do not plan on keeping it beyond 5 years. Since that is the case, I would have to wager 1478.00 for year 4 and year 5 for the electronics coverage. I just will gamble and assume the risk for those two years.
I agree for shorter term. Although you will get some prorated pennies back after you cancel, it may not be worth while.

mdanbom

Reaction score
I agree for shorter term. Although you will get some prorated pennies back after you cancel, it may not be worth while.
Thanks all for the info. I kept my Highlander for 7 years and 123k miles so I'll keep this one (hopefully) at least that long.

bdasma

Reaction score
I bought the 10yr. 100k plan from Kia Muncie today from Craig Sutherland. Super friendly and answered all my questions. Very impressed. Other Kia dealerships with their ridiculous markups and sales gimmicks could use a lesson from Muncie. Thanks Craig and Lucas

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

CGeorge

Reaction score
I bought the 10yr. 100k plan from Kia Muncie today from Craig Sutherland. Super friendly and answered all my questions. Very impressed. Other Kia dealerships with their ridiculous markups and sales gimmicks could use a lesson from Muncie. Thanks Craig and Lucas
I love Kia of Muncie. Lucas was my dealer too and he’s amazing. I bought the same warranty.

w8rner

Reaction score
We need a separate Muncie thread. 😁

JGBJanet

Reaction score
This is something I was unaware of and need to look into. By the time my Telly comes in, my Traverse will be nearly 12 years old. I’m only replacing it now because I think we will probably drive instead of fly to Florida from up north in the spring. I’m not a leaser or a flipper! Glad I saw this thread.

Conzman

Reaction score
I bought the 10yr. 100k plan from Kia Muncie today from Craig Sutherland. Super friendly and answered all my questions. Very impressed. Other Kia dealerships with their ridiculous markups and sales gimmicks could use a lesson from

Last edited:

Conzman

Reaction score
I have reached out to Craig multiple times. Is there anyone else @ Kia of Muncie I can get ahold of? I am not getting any return calls or responses.