No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Lane Keep Assist Failures

Narse

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I regret to inform you that I had my first accident in 23 years of driving in my brand new Telluride. The lane keep assist moved me to the outside of a curve on a hill with no shoulder right into a ditch at night. The passenger side hood took the brunt of the damage and there was no airbag deployment. Thankfully no injuries as well.

I’ve read a few threads here where people indicated they nearly, or did, run off the road in similar circumstances. If you have experienced this please let everyone know for general awareness.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I regret to inform you that I had my first accident in 23 years of driving in my brand new Telluride. The lane keep assist moved me to the outside of a curve on a hill with no shoulder right into a ditch at night. The passenger side hood took the brunt of the damage and there was no airbag deployment. Thankfully no injuries as well.

I’ve read a few threads here where people indicated they nearly, or did, run off the road in similar circumstances. If you have experienced this please let everyone know for general awareness.
Thankfully, no one was injured. Did you have your hands on the steering wheel? LKA isn't a self-driving functionality. Or, are you claiming that despite your manual control, it wrestled you into the ditch because you couldn't override it?

Much more information is required before it can be called a failure. I haven't read any thread on here with a similar situation.

Here are two threads with very favorable reviews/discussion:

Please link to threads you read where folks had similar issues as you... mainly for my own clarification! Thanks!

Last edited:

earlgrey

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a similar concern with lane keep assist. This feature is not the cruise control self driving one. I ended up only keeping the warnings when going outside the lines. So yes you can disable just the active assist where the car tries to correct it. I didn't like when the car tried to correct a phantom lane departure, which happens a lot especially in construction zones. So I'm much happier just having the warning and steering wheel vibrate when the system thinks i'm getting out side the lines. Sorry to hear about your accident.

hammick

Reaction score
Narse very sorry to hear about your accident. I am a huge fan of LKA in vehicles but I could see how this could happen under just the same conditions you experienced. Glad nobody was hurt.

I drive a lot across I-90 from SD to MT. In my 2013 2500HD without LKA I would find myself falling asleep occasionally and one time I had completely crossed from the right lane to the left shoulder before I woke up. I could have killed myself and many others at 80mph.

Fast forward to my '15 2500HD that had lane departure warning that would vibrate the side of the seat when going outside the lane. Never had a fall asleep incident in that truck.

All of our vehicles since have had LKA or lane departure warning. The feature on our Hyundai Kona and on the Telluride is wonderful. We had it on the '19 Jeep Cherokee we traded for the Telluride and it was awful. The Jeep didn't have the option to just have the warning and no assist. It would ping pong the car around to the point of making you sick. I would often disable it.

So after you get your Telluride repaired you should probably experiment with the LKA settings or maybe just turn off the assist part.

ksyrah

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My understanding is that LKA will only slightly adjust your direction and won't turn enough to go around a curve. As posted above, were your hands on the wheel?

hammick

Reaction score
My understanding is that LKA will only slightly adjust your direction and won't turn enough to go around a curve. As posted above, were your hands on the wheel?
LKA on our Telluride and Kona will assist enough to go around curves with you hands off the wheel. Not something I recommend though.

daybreak

Reaction score
Hello,
Sorry about your accident.

Don't feed the trolls. You cannot blame the KIA LKA for something like this. The same thing in a construction zone. The same thing in rural areas which do not have proper lane markings. Like the name - Lane Keeping Assist - it does the best it can, with you still need to be driving.

Narse

Reaction score
Yes, my hands were on the wheel as I was making the turn that needed no adjustment. LKA directed me to the edge of the road with but a moment to correct. It would definitely serve people better to either fully navigate the turn or don’t engage at all if it is directing you out of the lane.

JYU

Reaction score
I find LKA ineffective in the rural roads or interstate highways around city centers where it has a lot of twists and turns. I normally only turn it on when driving long-distance on interstate highways. The effectiveness of LKA depends on how clearly the lanes are marked and how fast you're going when making tight curves.

ernysan

Reaction score
Best habit you can have when driving ---> HOLD the wheel with both hands LKA works but not strong enough to take you out of the way or to keep you in the way (many road factors )

Never ever trust your life and the ones you love----> machines are build by humans.

Narse

Reaction score

Not sure if it will post correctly, but bottom of linked thread.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Not sure if it will post correctly, but bottom of linked thread.
Thanks! I see the poster noted that - but it was on a road with a shoulder. Interesting...

Narse

Reaction score

October 3rd, 2019 - Addressing the tech in the industry

Quirks or system failures might also have been a factor. Various drivers complained that the automation steered them toward obstacles or seemed to fight back against their efforts to steer the vehicle back on course.
"We got onto a smaller, two-lane country road that had some dips and curves," another driver recalled. "I remember going through a right-hand curve and feeling like the BMW was steering me too far over the center line. The Tesla, through the same sorts of curves, felt like it was bringing me too close to the guardrail on the right side of the car."

BabyRide

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I find LKA ineffective in the rural roads or interstate highways around city centers where it has a lot of twists and turns. I normally only turn it on when driving long-distance on interstate highways. The effectiveness of LKA depends on how clearly the lanes are marked and how fast you're going when making tight curves.
I do the same thing. It corrects to much on city streets. Drives me nuts. On highways though, it works perfectly and I find it beneficial.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
This is not a Tesla. You must have hands on the wheel. I recently drove the new Nissan version. In heavy traffic on the interstate it was awesome but it's not a self driving vehicle above 20mph.

RebelRider

Reaction score
I hate LKA. I've been driving for 55 years without an accident that was my fault. I love to drive and I don't need any assistive technology to help me. That's why my car is an 87 Porsche 944. The Telluride is for my wife.

II Kings 9:20

Reaction score
Not the Telly but my similar '15 Genesis once tried to steer me into a turn bay on a curve on a 4 lane divided highway (2 lanes each way).

I had both hands on the wheel and the steering wheel dipped to the left in the middle of a curve. My lane markings were weak and it picked up on the turn bay. I had to correct it quickly at 60 MPH. It was strong enough to scare me and if I didn't have both hands on the wheel, I could have wrecked. Keeping it on warning and turning off the active assist may be a smart move.

PaulD

Reaction score
My only experience with LKA was test driving a Telluride EX with the feature turned on. I didn't like it and neither did my wife.

That said, I've done a fair bit of autox, some track days and still drive a manual transmission on a daily basis. That feature will likely get shut off when we get the car.

PaulD

Reaction score
I hate LKA. I've been driving for 55 years without an accident that was my fault. I love to drive and I don't need any assistive technology to help me. That's why my car is an 87 Porsche 944. The Telluride is for my wife.
Thumbs up. I have an 86 911. It has lane leave assist.