Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

Lights - SX LED headLights and fog lights

Doug L

Reaction score
Does anybody have a sense if the lack of led lights and fog lights on the ex, s, and lx affect the safety of the vehicle or is it more of an aesthetics issue.
Trying to decide between ex And sx trim (bench seat would work out better for me) plus saving money is never bad.

Big T

Reaction score
I would highly recommend LED headlights; it’s a lot more than aesthetics, it’s about safety. Our two cars have them, one is adaptive, and much brighter than hid’s. When Kia finally gets an IIHS test on a Telluride, lighting plays into the rating.

itschris

Reaction score
I’d also recommend the LEDs. I just got an SX and with the driving lights on it puts a very wide, very saturated lighted path. I bought my SX as it was getting dark. They had on gotten the SX on the lot a few hours earlier and it was still getting setup I guess so I initially looked at a couple other models and I can tell you that it’s a big difference.

At the same time time however... it’s not a safety issue at all. There’s certainly plenty of light to drive safely in the other models for sure. It’s just not AS bright and full as the LEDs.

TellurideSX

Reaction score
We drove both prior to buying and considered the lights to be a deal breaker for the EX. The low beams at least on the SX were markedly brighter and cast a wider light swath to help see what varmint is about to jump out of the forests here in front of the Telluride. This is a safety issue due to my SO’s night vision limitations.

Gwyn

Reaction score
For those upgrading, make sure you get bulbs that match the projector, housing, and brightness of the old bulbs. If it is considerably more bright, it is going to have a lot of glare. Projectors are only made to handle so much lumens before they start to over spill. Both KIA and Hyundai are both known to have projector housing at halogen lights that have excessive glare. So putting in a brighter bulb is going to make it worst.

Where I live you will be pulled over for excessive glare and they will check if they are aftermarket, if they are, it is a ticket. Also, yellow is better for your vision then blue. I know blue looks better, but you see movement and shapes better in yellow light. Yellow light also penetrates haze and fog better. Which is why fog lights where yellow/amber until it was not popular anymore.

Bottom line if you are upgrading your lights, chances are you will need to upgrade your projectors. If you are not, you are blinding oncoming traffic.

Kevin78

Reaction score
Ffrom what i've been reading, It's going to be tough to change over the bulbs to aftermarket LEDs due to the fact of there being little space in the headlight housing. You'll have to do some cutting of the cap on the housing.

stbentoak

Reaction score
This is a universal complaint with a lot of brands.. The lower trim levels have Halogen or HID lighting and not LED, If you don't care or know any better or don't catch it in the vehicles advertising, then HID's are fine.... But once you've had LED's, every thing else just kinda sucks... Wouldn't buy a vehicle without LED's any longer....

392DCGC

Reaction score
This is a universal complaint with a lot of brands.. The lower trim levels have Halogen or HID lighting and not LED, If you don't care or know any better or don't catch it in the vehicles advertising, then HID's are fine.... But once you've had LED's, every thing else just kinda sucks... Wouldn't buy a vehicle without LED's any longer....
Well made HID headlight systems are still some of the best you can have...

LEDs are the way forward for now, though some manufacturers are now using laser. I find the Telluride LED low beams to be decent. There's a noticeable cutout near the center of the beam pattern (seems to align with oncoming traffic for straight roads). The high beams aren't great though... not bright enough, or not aimed well enough to put the light on the road.

Michi-Tell

Reaction score
They wont offer it as an option because people would buy the S model, add the lights and be satisfied. Good way to loose money.

Just my opinion
Exactly right. I'll be on the lookout for good aftermarket LED fog lights for our "S" and then be quite satisfied with the whole package. And maybe LED bulbs for the headlights too once/if others find some that work particularly well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.