No soliciting permitted.

Motor Oil to Use

Alex915

Reaction score
Owned a Highlander before my Telluride and used Amsoil oil on the Toyota. Amsoil does not have an oil that meets Kia’s requirements (got an e-mail from Kia on this). Kinda bummed out. Is Mobil 1 the only choice as a synthetic oil for the Telluride? What have others used assuming you have done the first oil change. Thanks!

RebelShadow

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Castrol edge titanium are the only 2 that I'm aware of with the Certifications for GDI engines. Personally I'm using the Pennzoil ultra platinum.

Alex915

Reaction score
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Castrol edge titanium are the only 2 that I'm aware of with the Certifications for GDI engines. Personally I'm using the Pennzoil ultra platinum.

Thank you for the feedback. Any negatives on gas mileage or engine performance with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in your Telluride?

RebelShadow

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
no negatives, seems to run a little quiter and slightly better gas mileage by about 1 to 2 mpg on the average. I also noticed engine runs smoother compared to the factory OEM oil which is Castrol if I remember right. Castrol is still an excellent oil but noticed positive results with Pennzoil. Most reviews found Pennzoil scored slightly better as well.

TheNip73

Reaction score
Forgot to also mention that Pennzoil is cleaner. Believe the hype, Pennzoil base is derived from natural gas instead is raw crude so its cleaner to start.
Not apples to apples with the Telluride use case, but in my Volvo S60 I was using the Castrol. I recently switched to the Penzoil. In my used oil analyses the wear was lower with the Penzoil and my mpg increased slightly.

I’m a Penzoil convert. Planning to use it in the Telluride once received.

G

G-712363

Not apples to apples with the Telluride use case, but in my Volvo S60 I was using the Castrol. I recently switched to the Penzoil. In my used oil analyses the wear was lower with the Penzoil and my mpg increased slightly.

I’m a Penzoil convert. Planning to use it in the Telluride once received.

Excellent!

Tino

Reaction score
For your oil consuming pleasure.

bogie

Reaction score
@Alex915 - can you share that email from Kia...?

TIA

djquestt

Reaction score
i ws told by dealer to not use synthetic for the first few oil changes, to wait to switch to synthetic, but when i took to my oil guy who researched it they said it was ok to use synthetic that just a trick dealers use to get you to come back for service

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
My Dealer threw in 2 years of oil changes... so..I will ask when I get my first one... I put too much $$$$ into this vehicle to not utilize the manufacturer. If you think the Oil Service is a trick..have at it. Even in my older cars I have..I change every 3K. I can afford the oil and filter....better than a whole new motor. Your call. If I would have thought different...I would have bought a Chevy Cruze.... On sale now at a dealer near you.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I do my own oil changes. Mobile One oil, Kia filter. About $45-$50 total. Did my first change at 5K. Every 7.5K after that. I keep all receipts and record dates and mileage. I KNOW I do a better job than the under paid "oil techs" at the dealer.

I have done the same with my 2012 tacoma since new. 160K miles and runs like new.

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, at my age...not climbing under a vehicle anymore. I believe in oil changes often..
Point taken. BUT, with today's oils and clean running engines, oil changes every 10K are the norm for most vehicles today. No benefit from doing more frequent oil changes other than maybe personal piece of mind. Enjoy your Telluride!!

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
Point taken. BUT, with today's oils and clean running engines, oil changes every 10K are the norm for most vehicles today. No benefit from doing more frequent oil changes other than maybe personal piece of mind. Enjoy your Telluride!!
According to the owner's manual, under normal driving conditions the engine oil should be changed every 7,500 miles. I agree that this sounds like overkill with today's engine oils, especially the full synthetics. But I would rather follow the manual than risk Kia blaming an extended oil change interval for a failure...cheap insurance.

lyfbyts

Reaction score
I have went with using Amsoil at the Kia dealer 65.00 for the oil change started after initial breaking of 2K miles on the vehicle.

j0hne

Reaction score
I do my own oil changes. Mobile One oil, Kia filter. About $45-$50 total. Did my first change at 5K. Every 7.5K after that. I keep all receipts and record dates and mileage. I KNOW I do a better job than the under paid "oil techs" at the dealer.

I have done the same with my 2012 tacoma since new. 160K miles and runs like new.
Hey,
Got a PN for that OEM Kia Filter?

bogie

Reaction score
Apparently @Alex915 has left the building with the info I was hoping he'd share....