No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

need advice: Telluride vs Palisade

whtmarlin

Reaction score
I have been researching both the Telluride SX Prestige and the Palisade Limited but haven't been able to drive either. Will get to drive a Palisade Friday. Did any of you test drive both and if so, how would you compare the ride quality and cabin noise? Plus, I obviously would have to wait for a Telluride based on everything I am seeing in this forum. Just not sure if worth the wait. Can't even test drive the Telluride because they are selling before even getting to the dealerships! Ugh! Decisions, decisions! LOL!!

DRK

Reaction score
I'm sorry if it does not help. I watched two Telluride youtube videos by two different Korean car reviewers. They experienced Palisade first in Korea and drove it more than Telluride.
Both said they could not tell difference in riding and noise. Both are smooth, comfort and quiet.

Armzz

Reaction score
I'm sorry if it does not help. I watched two Telluride youtube videos by two different Korean car reviewers. They experienced Palisade first in Korea and drove it more than Telluride.
Both said they could not tell difference in riding and noise. Both are smooth, comfort and quiet.
I have driven both, very similar, it felt like the Palisade drove a bit better to me.

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If you're OK with the exterior/interior looks of the Palisade (I'm not a fan of the grille, but am OK with everything else), get the Palisade if you can get a good deal. Who knows when supply will become more ample on the Telluride and the dealers will come down to earth with their markups. This is probably the golden moment for the Palisade before it gets too hot and the Hyundai dealers start jacking up prices as well. Good luck!

simonwh2001

Reaction score
I've driven both - they feel very similar, and the <lack> of road noise is a stand out feature of both. I've had a Telluride SXP on order since March 27th, but just drove a Palisade last night.

Here are my takeaways:
1. Like the Telluride exterior a little better, but not a real emotional factor in decision
2. Like the Palisade interior *slightly* better (but they are very, very similar)
3. Like the center console and gear shift on the Kia far more than the push-button / metallic finish in the Palisade.
4. Really like the Palisade's 12" digital gauge cluster and blindspot video for either side
5. My son likes the Palisade's power reclining 3rd row seats.... but he would rarely sit back there.
6. Infotainment is a dead heat... both great (and same basic system)
7. Remote start is on the key fob in the Hyundai, on the app for the Kia... not sure I really care either way

Coming down to price and availability... lease price favors the Kia (by a large margin). Availability favors the Hyundai.

Negotiated for an hour last night with a huge gap ($100 per month with like-for-like T's and C's on an SXP versus a Limited). Walked out thinking I'd just wait for the Kia. Hyundai Dealer GM sent me an email / called me this morning asking if they can match would I do it.... I said yes.... waiting on a call back...

Jrsmith61

Reaction score
I haven't driven both, but did wait until I could see the Palisade before I decided to commit to a Telluride. I am a feature and technology junky so for me it comes down to what is on one that is not on the other that is important to me. Assuming the ride is basically the same and comparing the Limited to the SXP, for me the Telluride is the winner. I love the palisade digital gauge cluster and the blindspot camera on each side of the gauge cluster as well as the extra storage under the console. As much as I wish the digital gauge and extra storage was available on the Telluride, it was the fact that the Telluride had power folding mirrors (not available on the Palisade) is what tipped the scales for me. I have a 2015 Genesis now and use my power folding mirrors all the time to park in a tight garage. I know it is a rather ridiculous justification for most, but it works for me! I do have to admit if the Palisade had the power folding mirrors they most likely would have been my choice.

BULLDOG

Reaction score
I haven't driven either (will probably test drive in next 3-4 weeks) but based on the specs, Palisade seems to have acoustic windshield and side glass (depending on the trim) which should result in a slightly quieter ride.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

whtmarlin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments!! Both seem to be very nice vehicles and probably can't go wrong with either!!! Supposed to test the Palisade tomorrow so we'll see!!! Thanks again for your feedback!! I will keep you posted with what ever I decide too.

BrianF

Reaction score
Well, I can’t say for sure about Canadian models, but that’s how it is for US ones.

regaphysics

Reaction score
Drove the palisade yesterday. It felt noticeably smoother (softer) and quieter versus the telluride. The transmission felt a bit more hesitant to me at low speeds, but I'm not sure its any different than the Telluride - it may have been drive-mode related. It does have more reflective materials in/around the dash, though.

Crossefire00

Reaction score
Look carefully at the side window surround trim on the Palisade as well as the third row side window. The implementation of both looks very "off" to me. The rear window has no body color behind it. It's piano black to the hatch. It's just not attractive IMO.

regaphysics

Reaction score
Look carefully at the side window surround trim on the Palisade as well as the third row side window. The implementation of both looks very "off" to me. The rear window has no body color behind it. It's piano black to the hatch. It's just not attractive IMO.
I thought the palisade looked pretty good in person; the side rear looks a little frumpy but the front end looked nice. To be honest, though, neither the palisade nor telluride looks all that great to me. If I cared that much, I'd buy a CX-9. But as it stands, neither vehicle is so off-putting that I'd decide based on looks; there are other differences that I think are more substantial.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have not driven either, but want to give you something to think about regarding this, and that is the dealership. Both vehicles are similar, the subtle differences are really more in the design so it boils down to personal preference. Our KIA and Hyundai dealerships are owned by different people. The reputation of the KIA dealer is quite poor, where as our Hyundai dealership is known for taking care of their clients.

I personally like the center console of the Telluride better but like the digital cluster on the Palisade. If things were equal, I would choose the Palisade just because I have a better chance of getting quality service after the sale if needed. I try to support companies with my dollars that are willing to provide quality products and exceptional (or at least decent) service. I would rather pay a bit more and know that I will be taken care of when an issue arises then save some up front and have to fight for help. Our KIA dealership has a reputation for fighting claims, I honestly believe that KIA tends to be a bit more this way then Hyundai does. Just my 2 cents.

Crossefire00

Reaction score
My Kia dealership is part of a family of dealerships that I have been dealing with for years. I currently have a Jeep Cherokee I purchased from them. While I haven't had any trouble with them, I tend to think that all care dealerships are indeed run by demons who are there to make a buck any way they can. I go in with the attitude that they are my enemy because they are reaching into my pocket at every chance. We may smile while we talk but I trust nothing they say. Maybe there's a difference between Kia and Hyundai when it comes to this, but my gut tells me that they are all the same at their core and to trust a car dealer is foolish. Yes, that sounds extremely cynical but I have no proof that it's not accurate.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
I like them both but definitely prefer the looks of the Telluride inside and out-which is why I bought one. The thing I noticed about the Palisade is that the top trim level comes with a unique grille and painted fender flairs that look awful!! Not sure why but neither the revised grille or flares fit the vehicle. I’m sure some prefer it and like that the top trim is unique but it’s just bad. I finally saw one on the road in blue the other day and they look great, not as good at the telluride but they’ve got some road presence for sure. The other thing I noticed is that you can’t even option one with leather for under $40k and the only other option is cloth, no thanks!

regaphysics

Reaction score
I like them both but definitely prefer the looks of the Telluride inside and out-which is why I bought one. The thing I noticed about the Palisade is that the top trim level comes with a unique grille and painted fender flairs that look awful!! Not sure why but neither the revised grille or flares fit the vehicle. I’m sure some prefer it and like that the top trim is unique but it’s just bad. I finally saw one on the road in blue the other day and they look great, not as good at the telluride but they’ve got some road presence for sure. The other thing I noticed is that you can’t even option one with leather for under $40k and the only other option is cloth, no thanks!
It is a bummer leather requires such a high trim. Although I will say I greatly prefer the cloth to the leatherette option.

Nemo

Reaction score
I thought they drive quite similarly, although I agree with the previous comment that the Palisade transmission seemed more laggy at slower speeds. Also, I think the Palisade is a bit noisier than the Telluride. Interestingly, the professional reviewers seem to disagree on which is quieter.

The fully digital cluster is nice, but less configurable than it should be and I prefer the speedometer on the right side, so a bit disappointed.

The hidden space in the trunk area is noticably smaller which is important for a family of 6.

Finally, I found the power seats annoying because when they are reclined, there's no stop when moving forward to the normal upright position, meaning you have to (very slowly) fold past and then fold back up -- dumb.