Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Oil Change??

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This popped up at exactly 1000 miles? I dont need an oil change yet? Do I?

I've only driven it 700 miles, it had 300 when I bought it. They drove it in from another dealer.

Is there a setting I need to change?

Attachments

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
While not imperative, especially if you can do it yourself, it never hurts to give it an early oil change before going on to the regular owners manual schedule ....1k miles is a good choice....

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
While not imperative, especially if you can do it yourself, it never hurts to give it an early oil change before going on to the regular owners manual schedule ....1k miles is a good choice....
Thank you for the information.

Razorback

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This popped up at exactly 1000 miles? I dont need an oil change yet? Do I?

I've only driven it 700 miles, it had 300 when I bought it. They drove it in from another dealer.

Is there a setting I need to change?
This also popped up on my screen around 850 miles. I was told that it was because of the settings, however; I went into the settings and it was set at 5000 miles so unsure of why this is happening. I just dismissed it but short answer is that you absolutely do not need an oil change as I called the dealership service department to confirm.

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This also popped up on my screen around 850 miles. I was told that it was because of the settings, however; I went into the settings and it was set at 5000 miles so unsure of why this is happening. I just dismissed it but short answer is that you absolutely do not need an oil change as I called the dealership service department to confirm.
I haven't had a chance yet to look in settings to see what it is set for. I will report back later.

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure, they told me it was the quickest way to get it. It came in perfect condition. I didnt question it.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have taken delivery on several vehicles that have been dealer traded. They seldom will put them on a flatbed. Generally speaking, the dealers are actually trading vehicles and often a check is also sent in one direction. I worked at a dealership for about a year and often, a retired guy is called in to drive the traded car to the other dealership, drop or pick up a check and then grab the other vehicle and drive it back. In some cases if there was not a trade they would send 2 old timers in a car, drop off a check, pick up the other car and both come back. This is generally the fastest instead of waiting on a transporter. When hauling on a flatbed, the driver and rig must all comply with DOT regulations. The warranty begins based on the miles at the time of delivery, so nothing is lost. Hell, I have test driven cars that have been on a lot for a while and had a few hundred miles on them.

The only way to be sure you get a vehicle with minimal miles on it is to special order it. Sorry, a bit off topic from the thread.

Regarding the oil change, does KIA request a break in oil change at 1000 miles? I know it is the old way, but I still change oil at 1000 miles on new vehicles, just to be sure any particulates from manufacturing are washed out. I then change oil at 5K, with full syn and rotate tires at each change.

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Than
I have taken delivery on several vehicles that have been dealer traded. They seldom will put them on a flatbed. Generally speaking, the dealers are actually trading vehicles and often a check is also sent in one direction. I worked at a dealership for about a year and often, a retired guy is called in to drive the traded car to the other dealership, drop or pick up a check and then grab the other vehicle and drive it back. In some cases if there was not a trade they would send 2 old timers in a car, drop off a check, pick up the other car and both come back. This is generally the fastest instead of waiting on a transporter. When hauling on a flatbed, the driver and rig must all comply with DOT regulations. The warranty begins based on the miles at the time of delivery, so nothing is lost. Hell, I have test driven cars that have been on a lot for a while and had a few hundred miles on them.

The only way to be sure you get a vehicle with minimal miles on it is to special order it. Sorry, a bit off topic from the thread.

Regarding the oil change, does KIA request a break in oil change at 1000 miles? I know it is the old way, but I still change oil at 1000 miles on new vehicles, just to be sure any particulates from manufacturing are washed out. I then change oil at 5K, with full syn and rotate tires at each change.
Thank you. I was starting to worry that I'd done something wrong by accepting the car!

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you. I was starting to worry that I'd done something wrong by accepting the car!
You are welcome. I believe, and not only on this thread, that quite a few people think a New car should never have been driven by anyone. Keep in mind that any car sitting on a lot, may have had several test drives. For the comment above about being mad if the new car had over 10 miles, most of the test drives that I take are 10+ miles. I am by no means an expert, but between business and personal I buy a new (or new to me vehicle) on average every 18 months. I have only taken delivery on 2 vehicles that had less than 10 miles. One was my current Ford Flex that I ordered so that it was the updated version of my previous one, + twin turbo and the other was an Outback for my wife that happened to hit the lot 2 days before we purchased it. I believe that all other "new" vehicles I have purchased had between 100-500 miles. Regardless of miles, I have learned not to be excited to take delivery and walk around and inspect the vehicle prior to signing off on it to check for scrapes and any damage. Believe it or not, many "new" vehicles have had some sort of paint repair before they are put on the lot. Any chips from transport are fixed prior to being put on the lot.

You did nothing wrong and I am certain that dealer trades are more common than most people would imagine. What is important is that you did get a new vehicle they way you wanted it. Congrats on that!

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
FYI, I've gotten a Prelude, 3 different BMWs, and a Maxima, all brand new, all with under 6 miles. And I saw with my own eyes that they'd shipped the Prelude to the dealer on delivery date on a flatbed. But anyhow, 300+ mile car is considered new by some people, just not me. Congrats nonetheless.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
FYI, I've gotten a Prelude, 3 different BMWs, and a Maxima, all brand new, all with under 6 miles. And I saw with my own eyes that they'd shipped the Prelude to the dealer on delivery date on a flatbed. But anyhow, 300+ mile car is considered new by some people, just not me. Congrats nonetheless.
That is an excellent track record! I do believe that BMWs are required to not only be trailered but must be by enclosed transport when new. I wouldn't be surprised if the standards for dealerships differ greatly per region. You were also clearly dealing with a different class of dealer than what KIA dealers have a reputation for.

Chaos13

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with taking delivery with some "extra" miles on it but personally I would like to own my new car as new as possible. I am still in the early phase as this will be only my second new car or car ever. Currently have a Subaru wrx that I bought new with 7 miles on it. So I still get excited to would like the car to have a fewer miles as possible.

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You didn’t buy a Bentley, so it’s not unreasonable for them to go get it and bring it back to you, Most of these guys that drive for dealerships are only interested in going and coming and getting your vehicle back to you in the safest way possible. They certainly didn’t redline it all the way back.....When you make a dealer trade, this is how it happens the majority of the time if it’s within say, 4 to 6 hours away or less....

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The car was in mint condition. We did a walk around. This is my 5th Kia purchase and the Telluride is the only one I've received with that many miles. I was made aware that they would have to get the car from another dealership and that it would have miles. To me it wasnt a big deal because I had searched high and low for the Telluride I wanted. This dealership was the only one willing to bring it to me for lack of better words. Saved me the time of driving to another dealership, taking time off from work ect. So I'm happy to my Telluride even with the 300 miles on it. 😁

Chaos13

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The car was in mint condition. We did a walk around. This is my 5th Kia purchase and the Telluride is the only one I've received with that many miles. I was made aware that they would have to get the car from another dealership and that it would have miles. To me it wasnt a big deal because I had searched high and low for the Telluride I wanted. This dealership was the only one willing to bring it to me for lack of better words. Saved me the time of driving to another dealership, taking time off from work ect. So I'm happy to my Telluride even with the 300 miles on it. 😁
If you were made aware of it then good.