No soliciting permitted.

parents beware of the muffler pipes

G

G-82430

I am not trying to sound arrogant and I understand it's concerning, but any exhaust tip (that is a real exhaust tip, connected to your muffler, not a chrome design/cutout ornament in a bumper) will get hot.

When your car is running, your exhaust system takes the hot waste gas from the engine and expels it out the series of tubes bolted to the underside of your vehicle.
From your exhaust manifold, you typically move down to a catalytic converter and through some more "plumbing" before hitting the muffler and then the exhaust tips. These gases are very hot and do cool down from the the initial heat of your manifold to your exhaust tips, it is absolutely normal for your exhaust tips to be hot after the engine was running. Any exhaust tip, on any vehicle will be hot.

I feel really sorry that your little one got burnt. I stood behind my SX now, and no matter how I stood behind it, my leg did not touch the exhaust tip at all, as they are a little slanted. Being a smaller child, I am sure that her position somehow touched the "lip" of the exhaust tip.

On my BMW M5 and 650i the exhaust tips get extremely hot and where way more "exposed" then on the Telluride, again this is not a flaw. If anyone has any type of motorcycle, the exhaust tips are way hotter then on a car after you turn it off.

Here is a quick video on how hot a exhaust gets.

Not sure you read my entire original post but of course you sound arrogant given the fact that I did use it as a teachable moment and most intelligent owners of vehicles already know this. When was the last time you looked for the exhaust before you reached in to unload your groceries? Ridiculous. Lexus has it figured out and if they want to compete in the market they need to be sensitive to the needs of the consumer. We obviously aren't the only family who has had a child burned. We have the EX. It's a simple fix. I was contacted directly by KIA after reporting the issue and hopefully enough of us will institute change. It's silly to leave a hazard "just because it's not a flaw" when you can improve the next generation. If everyone thought that way we would probably be without airbags, car seats, and backup cameras.

TellurideNY

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure you read my entire original post but of course you sound arrogant given the fact that I did use it as a teachable moment and most intelligent owners of vehicles already know this. When was the last time you looked for the exhaust before you reached in to unload your groceries? Ridiculous. Lexus has it figured out and if they want to compete in the market they need to be sensitive to the needs of the consumer. We obviously aren't the only family who has had a child burned. We have the EX. It's a simple fix. I was contacted directly by KIA after reporting the issue and hopefully enough of us will institute change. It's silly to leave a hazard "just because it's not a flaw" when you can improve the next generation. If everyone thought that way we would probably be without airbags, car seats, and backup cameras.
Glad they contacted you. I ended up calling them to advocate for something else (update headset code to support wide screen Android Auto) and when they noticed nobody had contacted me about my burn report the agent ended up just asking me a bunch of questions which were obviously designed to protect them legally. The agent said they were sorry it happened. And that was the end of it. Amazing we are at 3 different reports within this relatively small community already.

Reaction score
I just traded my telluride in for a Buick enclave
[/QUOTE]

Typo? You got rid of your Telluride for an Enclave???🤔

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

KennyC

Reaction score
my son got burned today and that’s when I noticed that the exhaust tip sticks out a 1/4” or so. I thought that was odd but after a little research this is what I found.
The type of engine in the Telly doesn’t exhaust as clean as others. If the exhaust tip was in a 1/2” we may have had exhaust fume stain. It was also mentioned on a engine review that due to the naturally aspirated V6 one will need to be vigilant in keeping the exhaust tips clean cause these engines (although very dependable) are known for dirty looking exhaust tips.
I’m not a motor head or car expert but it seems like the whole redesign idea is a wash. I do like the warning sticker idea. And it does cool down really quick once the engine is turned off.

Reaction score
Hi - we LOVE our new Telluride!! But, yesterday my 5 year old approached the rear of the car to stand next to me as I was grabbing something from the back. She yelled out that she was burned. I was surprised to see a burn line about an inch and a half long immediately blistering on her thigh. We applied some burn cream and a band-aid. This seems like a design issue that could be fixed by recessing the exhaust pipes. I have looked today at other cars and there are definitely ways to reduce this risk. Young children are frequently climbing into the back or leaning into the car to help bring in groceries. It is worrisome. Of course, it was a good lesson in what muffler pipes are and why you can never touch them on any vehicle but this shouldn't be something that parents need to worry about with their young children. I hope that the KIA design team can fix this issue in future generations of the Telluride. Parent be aware of this when your children are by the tailgate.

gwon77

Reaction score
I realize this us an old thread but I want to bump it because it’s not just parents but ADULTS beware... I was taking out my groceries and burned myself. In the decades myself and everyone around me has been around/owned cars this has literally never happened. Posted some pics as well as posted a new thread about this. I have a 2021 SX prestige

Attachments

Tellthemride

Reaction score
I always avoid standing to the right of the trunk when moving items in or out because of these reported incidents.

Maybe has to do with the fact the car has 8” ground clearance, so it is easier to get your foot under the car at a certain angle to touch the exhaust tip compared to a lower sedan?

Kwim

Reaction score
I had a lot of cars, never did the tips of a tobe get so hot. Yes, they were noticeably warm, but not so. This is a miscalculation of engineers and a good chance, who got burned, to receive compensation from Kia.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
I would like to think majority of drivers already are aware that all exhaust tips get hot. Nobody parks their car after driving and then walks to the back of the car and tries to touch the exhaust tip.

But maybe there are some car owners that never gave a thought about “actively” having to avoid touching the exhaust tip until now. I personally never worried about where I had to stand to load/unload from the trunk. And I’ve never been burnt by the Telly’s exhaust. But I understand how it can happen particularly with this SUV. It doesn’t hurt to raise awareness for family and friends of the owners to make sure they do the same by avoiding that area. I always try to remind my wife to stay away from the exhaust tip, and I will tell my kids too when they are older.

I probably wouldn’t go as far to say KIA needs a recall or a class action law suit though.

There are probably muffler shops that can take it in more so it isn’t as exposed, but then your next problem may be dealing with exhaust residue on your bumper. Last option would be to completely remove the exhaust tip and have your exhaust aim down like other fake exhaust tip cars.

Last edited:

gwon77

Reaction score
Or maybe folks should read the owner's manual. Page 1-5... in the introduction. Don't even need to go to Chapter 2.

View attachment 9089
I actually did read this and chuckled along with several other "obvious" safety precautions, so I guess I'm still a fool.

But in all honesty, I get where you're coming from, but I got burned doing something extremely mundane: unloading the car.

I'm in my 30s and this is hardly the first time I've loaded/unloaded a car. I was not excessively leaning in nor was I even touching the back bumper. I was unloading the car and my husband came around to my left so I moved over and then got burned. Because of how wide the trunk is and the way the tailpipe is positioned and protrudes, my knee ended up touching it. I wasn't doing it on purpose...

I've never in my life had the thought "oh I better be careful not to bump into the pipe lest I burn myself..." (now this thought will never leave me) I just don't think this line of thought is normal, because it's a non-issue for every other car I've owned or helped load/unload. We have 2 other vehicles where it's impossible to accidentally burn yourself like I did. Since getting burned, I've been looking at all the other cars on the road and in parking lots and noticed that in almost all cases, tailpipes are NOT designed like this. For ones that do protrude, they are usually out to the side or positioned in a way that is not underneath the trunk opening so the chance someone would touch it is very slim. The Telluride's trunk opening is amazingly wide... but that poses a risk with protruding tailpipes. It's also not protruding excessively like Mini Coopers did where it's so obvious to watch out for it. That's the issue, in my opinion.

I did place a call to Kia Consumer Affairs and they were actually very concerned and sympathetic toward my situation; they escalated the issue to the whatever whatever board who will follow up with me in a few days. By the way, this tailpipe design is only on SX and I think S trims I believe.. I think lower trims are in the clear.

My injury is not at all severe and is healing fine, but I just wanted to bring this to people's attention again because this is such a new car and not on all trim levels so my guess is that there's not a ton of awareness, again, because this is just not how most cars are commonly designed. Or maybe I'm just that dumb :p